What's new

Home Network Design help with L3 Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can’t thank you enough for all the help so far. I have to call it a night for now.

I did run into a problem though with internet access (see my edited post above).

I’ll try to pick up again tomorrow if you’ve got time.

Thanks!!!!!

The AT&T router should not be the same network as the rv340 router. Something has to change. Either the AT&T or the RV340 and L3 switch need to change.

Let me know when you figure this out.

Okay, I’ll switch the network addresses around tonight or Friday (depends on how Halloween goes with the kids) and report back.

So, I changed the att gateway to give out 192.168.9.x addresses.

Still no internet :(

I tried deleting the default gateway info and still no internet.

Last edited:
So, I had to set the att gateway to IP Passthrough mode. In this mode, the Cisco router receives the external WAN IP address directly passed through from the att gateway.

With that enabled, I also set the Cisco router to DHCP and removed the default gateway settings from the switch and turned off DHCP at the switch. Now I have internet.

I then added the router address (192.168.1.1) as the default gateway in the IPv4 settings by adding a static route with the following:
Destination IP Prefix 0.0.0.0
Prefix length 0
Next Hop Router 192.168.1.1
Metric 4 (default)

Still have internet.

Then I disabled DHCP on the Cisco router and gave my Ethernet connection a static IP of 192.168.1.5
Default gateway 192.168.1.1

Still have internet.

Next, on the switch:
enabled DHCP
Created a network pool from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.253 (I intentionally excluded .1 and .254 as they are used by the router and switch)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default router IP address 192.168.1.254

Set my network card back to DHCP and renewed my ipconfig to get an IP address from the switch (default gateway listed is 192.168.1.254).

Lost internet :(

Something about my DHCP setup on the switch is killing the internet connection.

I went back into the IP address pool and set the Domain Name Server IP Address to the router address 192.168.1.1

I renewed my IP address on the network card just to refresh things and now the internet works????

Last edited:
I think we are missing the switch's default gateway. And since I don't have a SG350 switch we need to add a default gateway. I think the best way is to telnet to your SG350 switch and add "ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1" to the very bottom of your config. Go ahead and post up your config and I can verify it.

Blank out any username or password.

I also need to verify the port setups.

Last edited:
I’ll see what I can do this evening. I haven’t tried to telnet into any of the equipment yet, so that will take a bit of experimentation :)

You have to turn on telnet access in the switch or at least the one I have. Telnet access is on the status page where you see a picture of the switch.

Okay,

So I have gone back in and updated some things:

ATT gateway is back in normal DHCP mode with address 192.168.1.254 and DHCP server turned on. I had to do this because I can’t put it in passthrough mode while the family is home as all the other devices lose internet :)

The Cisco Router is setup with a fixed VLAN1 IP of 192.10.1.1, DHCP turned off. I changed the IP range just for convenience. The router WAN IP is set to DHCP and gets an IP from the 192.168.1.x range of the ATT gateway.

Cisco switch is setup with a static IP of 192.10.1.254 on VLAN1.

I ran the telnet command to set default gateway to 192.10.1.1 and it added an IPv4 static route of:
Destination port- 0.0.0.0
Prefix length - 0
Route Type - remote
Next Hop Router IP - 192.10.1.1
Metric - 4

(Which is exactly what I had setup before)

After that, I turned DHCP ON on the switch

Network pool created with:
-range 192.10.1-254
-default router IP 192.10.1.254
-DNS IP 192.10.1.1

Excluded addresses 1-20 and 254 (I like my static addresses down low)

With this setup internet is working.

I’m not sure what the telnet command is to print out the configuration or the port settings?

I can tell you that the web GUI shows all ports as “access” ports and all ports in layer 2 mode.

Added the WiFi AP to port 3 of the switch and ran the setup wizard.

Gave the AP a static IP of 192.10.1.2
Set the default gateway to 192.10.1.254

And internet didn’t work.

Then I went back to the LAN config and set the DNS IP to 192.10.1.1 and internet is working.

As of now, the basic setup seems to be working, but I have no idea if the switch is actually doing the routing for the local LAN or not :). Likewise I have no idea if the router is doing the routing for the internet or if the ATT gateway is.

I hope you reset the switch and wiped 192.168.1.0 from it.

The wireless needs to be connected to a trunk port so you will need to change that as stated above. And probably setup again. You did not mention DHCP. You need DHCP on the switch. Sorry found where you setup DHCP on the switch.

To capture the config on a telnet session can be as simple as copy and past into the clip board using note pad. I need to see your config because your routing on the switch does not work from what you are telling me.

I can use GUI screen captures if that is easier.

The metric for your routing should not be 4.

Seems like IP Passthrough should be the way to go on the AT&T router. Why did you change it? We can change it later.

Your DHCP pool for 192.168.10.0 should not end with 254 as the switch is using that IP. Maybe try 30-253.

Last edited:
I hope you reset the switch and wiped 192.168.1.0 from it.

I did reset the switch and wiped everything.

The wireless needs to be connected to a trunk port so you will need to change that as stated above. And probably setup again. You did not mention DHCP. You need DHCP on the switch. Sorry found where you setup DHCP on the switch.

No problem. I can easily change the wireless to a trunk port. What’s the benefit of a trunk port?

To capture the config on a telnet session can be as simple as copy and past into the clip board using note pad. I need to see your config because your routing on the switch does not work from what you are telling me.

I can use GUI screen captures if that is easier.
What is the code to write out the config in the telnet session? That would be a lot easier to do than try screen captures.

The metric for your routing should not be 4.
That’s the default value. Just let me know what to change it to :)

Seems like IP Passthrough should be the way to go on the AT&T router. Why did you change it? We can change it later.
I just turned it off because when it’s enabled the rest of the house loses internet which doesn’t work well with the family home :)

Right now I have a single laptop connected to the cisco gear and the rest of my equipment is still connected to the ATT gateway as it was before.

I use copy and paste with telnet. I use putty for telnet.

The router is not 4 hops away so it does not make sense.

What do you have under the menu for IP configuration, IPv4 interface and IPv4 routes?

Last edited:
I don’t mind copying and pasting with Putty (that’s what I use as well), I just don’t know how to bring up the config to copy :)

All I have is the blank command line screen at the moment :)

What do you have under the menu for IP configuration, IPv4 interface and IPv4 routes?

IPv4 Interface.PNG

IPv4 Static Routes.PNG

DHCP.PNG

I think your IPv4 route statement is wrong. I think it should be 192.168.10.1 not 192.10.1.1. Can you fix it?

Your IPv4 interface is wrong as well.

My guess is you configured the switch with the wrong IP. You may want to start over.

Wrong. You should be using 192.168.10.0 network. Start over. Reset

192.10.x.x is a public IP. You cannot use it as it is registered to someone else.

Here are private IPs

The organizations that distribute IP addresses to the world reserves a range of IP addresses for private networks.
  • 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (65,536 IP addresses)
  • 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (1,048,576 IP addresses)
  • 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (16,777,216 IP addresses)
If you try route 192.10.x.x on the internet your traffic will die. It may explain part of your problem with no internet access.

Last edited: