What's new

Home Network DHCP Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been up and running smooth now for about 12 hours, so I'm feeling much better now, I've learned some things even if it frustrated me to get there. Thanks for your help degrub.

So I have this Netgear R6300v2 and this TP-Link RE450, you think I'd be better off turning the R6300v2 into a WAP upstairs, rather than using the RE450 like I was before, where it was connecting to the current WiFi and created a new one upstairs? Your logic sounded reasonable, and its easy enough to do and try, I know lots of people do this with routers, so guess I can too, I'll just have an extra RE450 laying around.

it is situation dependent. If you are getting enough bandwidth using the repeater function, then just keep it as is. If you experience bandwidth issues, try using the router as an AP and see if it helps. There is no one solution, but not using the repeater definitely frees up bandwidth on the two APs if you need it.

Day 2 and everything so far seems ok on the network, my Skybell doorbell is offline and I just re set it up after the issues this weekend, so not sure whats going on there, but I did want to ask about something else odd I'm seeing on my network...if you or anyone else cares to help me...

I have two devices that are on the network, one is an IP based IR blaster (hard wired) and one is my Nest thermostat (wireless), but both have the same IP address, 192.168.0.129, I've reset both network configurations and let them try to get a new IP but neither one will, I think its causing an issue with the IR Blaster sinceI can't get my 3 devices it controls to work with the software remote. Each one I've reset a couple of times just comes back with that same IP. Any tricks you could tell me about to maybe fix this?

Day 2 and everything so far seems ok on the network, my Skybell doorbell is offline and I just re set it up after the issues this weekend, so not sure whats going on there, but I did want to ask about something else odd I'm seeing on my network...if you or anyone else cares to help me...

I have two devices that are on the network, one is an IP based IR blaster (hard wired) and one is my Nest thermostat (wireless), but both have the same IP address, 192.168.0.129, I've reset both network configurations and let them try to get a new IP but neither one will, I think its causing an issue with the IR Blaster sinceI can't get my 3 devices it controls to work with the software remote. Each one I've reset a couple of times just comes back with that same IP. Any tricks you could tell me about to maybe fix this?

i would find out how to do a factory reset.

i would find out how to do a factory reset.

I know how to do that for the Nest but then I lose all my history and data, boo. The other device I don't know I think I've been doing one.

I'll dig deeper, that's my plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know how to do that for the Nest but then I lose all my history and data, boo. The other device I don't know I think I've been doing one.

I'll dig deeper, that's my plan.

you might be able to force an IP address per mac address in the DHCP serving router ( i assume it is getting it's IP address via dhcp) using a bind. Otherwise, maybe manually set the ip in the device ?

you might be able to force an IP address per mac address in the DHCP serving router ( i assume it is getting it's IP address via dhcp) using a bind. Otherwise, maybe manually set the ip in the device ?
Yeah the router is using DHCP, thats why this is so odd to me, resetting both and both coming back with the same exact IP. I'll try to force the Blaster to have a static IP because it really needs to stay the same always and I read in their documentation they really prefer all the devices its controlling to have static IPs, makes sense too, you don't want your software controller having devices change IPs.

So I guess I need some help and explanation on "Reserved IPs" vs. "Static IPs" and what I should do, I would think I need to set all my devices that this IR Blaster controls and the blaster itself to have some kind of static or reserved IP so that they are always the same IP, and don't change, what is it I need to look for in my router settings to do this?

Reading the help on my router, sounds like Address Reservation is what I need?

Yeah the router is using DHCP, thats why this is so odd to me, resetting both and both coming back with the same exact IP. I'll try to force the Blaster to have a static IP because it really needs to stay the same always and I read in their documentation they really prefer all the devices its controlling to have static IPs, makes sense too, you don't want your software controller having devices change IPs.

So I guess I need some help and explanation on "Reserved IPs" vs. "Static IPs" and what I should do, I would think I need to set all my devices that this IR Blaster controls and the blaster itself to have some kind of static or reserved IP so that they are always the same IP, and don't change, what is it I need to look for in my router settings to do this?

Reading the help on my router, sounds like Address Reservation is what I need?

Generally you can just set the range the DHCP server uses for dynamic addresses for devices that it does not matter what the IP address is - example : 192.168.1.100 starting and the 192.168.1.149 ending or same start with a count of 50
Then you just set any fixed address outside of that range (and not in conflict with the router, switches, etc), gateway, mask, dns on the device (manually keeping track yourself) or you can associate the device mac address with a static IP address in the router, set the device to use DHCP, and when it requests an IP address the router will look up the requesting MAC in its table and assign the static IP address.

That is a good idea, I'll try my hand at that. In the meantime I found out where to reset the IP on this Blaster! And now it's not conflicting and is working!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!