What's new

Home office / home enterprise router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

Greetings,

I’m in the market for a new router. I’ve already got two access points, one broadcasting our 2.4GHz 802.11n (300mbit) wireless (D-Link DAP-2553) and one broadcasting our 5.0GHz 802.11n (450mbit) wireless (Apple TimeCapsule) so it doesn’t need to feature any wireless capabilities. But it doesn’t matter if it does as we would simply disable them.

The keyword is stability, stability and more stability and bug-free, yet very capable firmware. We are running about ten LAN (mostly gigabit capable) connected systems connecting through a HP ProCurve 1410-16G dumb gigabit switch, two wired printers and about ten wireless systems.
So the router has to be capable to handle all these clients at once without any hiccups or slowdowns.

We have an optical fibre connection sporting 25mbit download and upload speeds and will soon be upgraded to 100mbit download and upload speeds. So the router must be capable to utilize such routing speeds both LAN to WAN and WAN to LAN.

You can describe our network as a home office / home business / home enterprise setup as it goes beyond a regular home network. All our systems are a part of an Active Directory domain hosted by a Windows Server 2008 R2 server, but we do not require any sort of VPN nor additional VLAN capabilities within the router. What we do need is stability and reliability, and a router capable of utilizing our upcoming 100mbit WAN connection that can handle twenty our so clients simultaneously.

Several of our systems run heavy loads of torrent usage, resulting in lots and lots of simultaneous connections going everywhere all the time and the router must be able to keep up with the heavy load without losing connection or dropping speed.

Our Windows Server 2008 R2 will also be hosting both a website and a FTP-site, therefore stability and reliability is a keyword as the website must stay up at all times and be able to handle whatever load the site might be faced with at peak hours.

I’ve been through a few different routers the past years, but sadly none have proven to provide a perfect experience. They either come with unstable and or buggy firmware, or simply lack features. That or the hardware is simply not up to the task with all our simultaneous clients and connections coming from both the LAN and the WAN side.

We do not require much from the routers firmware, other than it being rock solid and stable without any noticeable bugs. But sadly most consumer routers seems to lack in firmware development making them haunted with bugs or simply lack depth and capability. The key features we need in the firmware is DHCP, dynamic DNS, DHCP / IP-reservations, port forwarding, upnp and preferably working DMZ and support for IPv6.

The ones we have tried the past years have been:
D-Link DIR-655 rev2, but it featured unstable firmware and seemed to slowdown during heavy load. The DMZ didn’t seem to do anything as port forwarding was still required even after DMZ-hosting a system and there was no upnp support. It became gradually worse with every new firmware update and some wouldn’t even let you return to older firmware.

D-Link DIR-855 rev1, performed and behaved almost identical with DIR-655 only with less reliable firmware and we didn’t see much improvement with the first couple of firmware updates.

Linksys WRT600N rev1, performed and behaved better than the two D-Link routers but neither this one had a working DMZ-feature and there was no upnp and the hardware still seemed to slowdown during heavy load and there seemed to never be much firmware development and patching from Linksys?

Netgear WNDR3700v1, the first router that seemed to not slowdown during heavy load, at least not nearly as much as the above ones. But I didn’t like the firmware layout and there were some dreadful DNS bugs and other things going on that made us replace it. But it might seem like Netgear has fixed these issues by now, but as they have released quite a few never models since the WNDR3700v1 the support and development seems to have gone down the drain and it has been replaced with both a v2 and v3 preforming worse than v1. Neither here did the DMZ seem to do anything.

Netgear SRX5308, the first enterprise / business router we tried and the first one to really shine when it comes to both firmware capabilities and raw performance. Sadly there is an existing firmware bug that makes the WAN performance cripple without any noticeable reason forcing us to restart it quite often to get the speeds back up. After reading our at the Netgear support forum several people has noticed this issue and Netgear is still trying to solve them. Crippled WAN performance is simply a no go.

Cisco RV220W, almost identical hardware to the SRX5308, but less RAM. Seems to be able to handle our heavy load but the firmware did not impress. Firstly it seems to lack DHCP / IP-reservations and Cisco has confirmed that the DMZ doesn’t do anything at the moment and there isn’t much firmware development and Cisco have started to actually remove features with the latest firmware updates.

And so our hunt for the “perfect” router that will suit our needs continues and I hoped for some guidance and recommendations from you all. Price-range is uncertain, we are ready to pay what it may cost.

Have you considered pfSense, Monowall or Freesco? A mini-ITX box with dual GigE NIC's would be a good place to start...

http://www.pfsense.org/

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

http://www.freesco.org/

Alternately, MacOS X server has strong routing capabilities, as does Windows Server - alternately, a PC running BSD or Linux can also hit those targets...

Most consumer grade SOHO routers are probably not where you want to be... either from a stability or performance view...

the other option would be to engage with an enterprise level router, considering your needs.

Last edited:
Our "go to" router for small businesses has been the Linksys/Cisco RV0 series..usually the RV082. Very solid, decent feature set. I'd question it for an upcoming 100 meg pipe though.

Looking forward to the RV220 taking over...soon as the firmware matures a bit.

A decent budget box would be the e3000 model with DD-WRT firmware.

If you want unstoppable and rock solid....build a PFSense box out of an Atom dual NIC unit (dual Intel NICs). It will not let you down.

You mention "active directory"...so I'm going to guess the Server 2008 box you mention is your domain controller. Naturally it should run DHCP for your network (to keep DNS records tight..thus more proper active directory)...not your router. DHCP within Windows Server is robust with lots of choices included reservations. It should also be the only DNS server handed out to your workstations...if they're using the routers LAN IP for their DNS your active directory will be broken.

You also mention something that makes me pass out with a heart attack...if this is correct. "Web Server/FTP" on this same server...on your domain controller? Wow..yikes! Hope you don't keep confidential information on that server...a domain controller exposing port 80 and FTP..wow. I'd be wanting to format that server before using it...after collecting all the trojans and back doors it has accumulated. And I saw "DMZ" added..which scares me further..having a Windows box exposed in the DMZ with all ports exposed..instead of the bare minimum ports forwarded necessary for any services to be run.

I' am looking at possible Supermicro based Intel Atom or LGA1155 solutions that could be running pfSense, Untangled, Astaro or other solutions. That seems to provide much more customizability, not to mention way more performance for money compared to Cisco and other fixed solutions.

The Active Directory Domain Server / Master is featuring both DHCP and DNS, but as a few of our systems run Mac OS X Lion which have proven to be a real pain adding to Active Directory in a sensible way I have always stayed with DHCP and DNS in router just for the ease of things.

Either Intel Atom or Intel Xeon E3 based U1-rack might be the way to go.

Dual Core Atom D510 or higher, or an i3 or i5 would be more than fine IMO. Xeon...well, it's your electric bill and ears to hear the noise.

DHCP on server or router..a MAC that doesn't join the domain will function equal in any way. Workgroup mode clients still utilize DHCP from a server just fine. And DHCP from the server makes it easier to join the domain...as they have DNS and name resolution and DNS suffix filled in already. Reasons you may be having issues now is because current versions of Lion have a bug active directory service....hoping that the patch that came out last week fixes it...I have a few at clients waiting to get properly on domains.