What's new

VyOS for Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Is anybody running this at home? How are you finding it for home use?

I think once I make a configuration, I can use it over and over again like using a Cisco configuration.

Do you find switching snapshots of the OS easy?

I am thinking about using it for home. I do not want to compile my own code. I am a complete noob to this.

So a regular home user only has access to nightly snapshot builds? I wouldn't trust that kind of model when wanting a stable environment.

I'm currently running OPNsense and wondering why I need it over a lean, mean OpenWrt build on x86. Generally, I'll try any router OS once, but I don't really see VyOS as a desirable free alternative for me.

Depends how comfortable you are with command line networking...

VyOS is very capable, but a steep learning curve even for a networking pro - for home use, it's probably overkill...

lean, mean OpenWrt build on x86

Because x86/amd64 is not a priority for OpenWRT...

Says much that OpenWRT is the basis for Qualcomm and Mediatek BSP's, and FreeBSD/NetBSD are foundations for many commercial devices...

In a FOSS LAN/WLAN - I'm ok with a BSD based router (pfSense/opnSense), and a a linux BSP (openwrt/dd-wrt) for the Access Points, as this plays to strengths of both.

What I have found is a couple of users which turned away from VyOS. They seem to have funding issues which causes lags, and you may end up on EOL Debian code for a while.

I think I am losing interest.

Command line is no problem for me. It would be like working on a Cisco Pix firewall. It just takes time.

They are preparing a very beautiful graphical interface for VyOS
They have many builds available. I would choose one that is said to be stable in the forums.
Some of these build have been used for the stable release.

The free stuff is lacking, and the stable builds are old. You need to work from the rolling snapshots. Otherwise, you need to compile your router code which I think is a bad idea for home users.

Sounds to me that this is for tinkering when bored because everything is running as it should, not to function as the nerve center of a reliable SNB network...

This is an admittedly older post, by a few months, but since nobody responded positively to the OP so far:

I do run VyOS at home at present, though I'll be switching back to OpenWRT soon. It's been rock solid for the last year, and my config is held in a vbash file backed up to a private Gist, so I can restore on a whim if needed. As for builds, you can easily make the latest LTS stable ISO in Docker for yourself on each release, it only takes a few minutes on even moderate hardware. No issues to report, and it's certainly fast and capable. I'd definitely +1 the learning curve though, and I've been using *nix since around the turn of the century. Once you get the way their config works into your head, though, it's second nature and easy to add and change settings on the fly via CLI. The GUI will be icing on the cake.