What's new

home use router with BT 900Mbps that will get full speed as my Asus RT-AX55 cant do it.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mardymarvin

New Around Here
I have just upgraded to the 900Mbps as I have fiber to house but the little Asus RT-AX55 cant get no where near this speed even with all the features like QOS, Bitdefender stuff turned off. I dont mind spending about £300 and it would be nice to have some features like QOS, Guest Wifi, some sort of way to see whats using bandwith with possible bandwidth limiter on certain devices. I dont mind it not being for novice as I have some knowledge on basic config of network.

Currently had to put back the BT Homehub from hell so any suggestions would be great. I have tried looking at asus site at various routers but they dont advertise the throughput they can use on the wan with features turned on.

I'm afraid that you will not get over 400mbps over wifi.
You can get 900mbps only with wire connection to the router. Your Asus router can give you this speed with wire.

I'm afraid that you will not get over 400mbps over wifi.
You can get 900mbps only with wire connection to the router. Your Asus router can give you this speed with wire.
I am using Cat6 cable direct into the router.

I am sometimes now getting close to 800 with this router (BT one is getting 1gig on same cables) but thats with all the features off. So I was wondering if there is a router that I can use QOS, guest wifi etc on that can cope whilst also getting the full fiber speed.

Will you use 800Mbps constantly during the day? I'm asking this because if you use, let's say 600mbps, then you have 200mbps free and you don't need QoS. Maybe you only need an access pont with Guest SSID and bandwidth limit for the guests.
I have Aruba InstantOn wifi access point and I can set bandwidth limit per user or per network.

ok i guess I just wanted the feature as at times when my son is downloading games and there are a couple of streams going it hickups but perhaps that is more the router then the line. Thanks for all the advice everyone

If your ISP speeds are 1Gbps up/down, symmetrical, QoS isn't required. Do you have symmetrical upload and download ISP speeds?

ok i guess I just wanted the feature as at times when my son is downloading games and there are a couple of streams going it hickups but perhaps that is more the router then the line. Thanks for all the advice everyone
You can limit the bandwidth per client to 700mbps. Bandwidth limits are easy for the router to handle. QoS on gigabit speed requires a powerful CPU.

With 100Mbps uploads with FTTH, you should see little reason to use QoS. Particularly if you want to take full advantage of the 900Mbps download speeds too, on your current router.

If you want to 'feel' what FTTH should be like, see if you can try an RT-AX86U or the much better balanced (hardware) GT-AX6000. Everything, including your wireless clients, should feel like you're on a different (better, lower latency) network.

search for TPLink Omada in the forums here.
I have had a look but not sure with these things which hardware I need did some reading about this before and being a newbie with these things was not sure if the ER605 was all I needed to actually connect to the internet as its just a router. I assume it was since the fiber to house has the modem box (loose term) that turns the fiber into ethernet (WAN) I then plug the ER605 into the WAN (Just like with my current router). But then was not sure if I needed the hardware controller box. I can see lots of reading needed

Bandwidth limits are easy for the router to handle.

Bandwidth Limiter of any kind on a home router will be incompatible with NAT acceleration and will slow down WAN-LAN throughput to 350-400Mbps on high-end models and perhaps RT-AX55 won't be able to do over 250Mbps. As far as I remember you are using x86 box - it's different.