1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

HomeKit Support?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by #TY, Jun 19, 2019.

1. #TY

#TY Senior Member

Following Apple's recent announcement of having more and more HomeKit enabled routers on the market soon, what do you guys think of all this?

Is this a software thing that can be added in a firmware update or will it require a completely new device?

jld368 and Vexira like this.
  2. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

Initially there were hardware requirements for HomeKit devices, but later Apple relaxed that, so I'm curious as well.

3. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

It's up to Asus they would have to plug the support and from there we can see, if it's anything like the Alexa support it will be a firmware update.

4. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

I am not sure what value having HomeKit on a router would be. I was able to install a Home device on my current network and it works just fine.

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

It's highly unlikely that Asus would bother with yet another Apple-specific technology when the rest of the world uses IFTTT.

AndreiV, royarcher and L&LD like this.
  6. CrystalLattice

CrystalLattice Regular Contributor

Apple Homekit has numerous strongpoints:
    • #1 – HomeKit is Simple to Use. ...
    • #2 – Simplification of the Smart Home Industry. ...
    • #3 – Apple HomeKit is Expandable. ...
    • #4 – HomeKit is Secure. ...
    • #5 – Improves Comfort & Convenience Levels. ...
    • #6 – Supports Voice Control. ...
    • #7 – Easy to Setup. ...
    • #8 – Supports a Single App, Remote access, no hub required

#TY likes this.
  7. #TY

#TY Senior Member

I think HomeKit support is a really big deal and would be a great value added to an Asus router. Considering Apple's continued involvement in encryption and the protection of privacy, I don't see how it would be a bad thing to have it. Of course, I can't speak on a technical level but as a user, unless I'm overlooking something, I think it would be great.

CrystalLattice and jld368 like this.
  8. #TY

#TY Senior Member

Is it one or the other? I would imagine both could be supported simultaneously and the user would pick what works best for their needs.

9. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

And it's also under Apple's control, which means they can charge their typical Apple tax to product manufacturers who want to officially support it and get that Homekit logo.

When you have the alternative to do so, support existing technologies that are truly open, rather than vanity technologies developed by large corporations without any real collaboration from the outside world.

And that's beside the point where I think that none of these technologies (be it Homekit, IFTTT or Alexa support) belong on a security device such as a router. You are just opening more doors for potential attacks on your router, which is your primary line of defense between your whole network and the rest of the world.

10. #TY

#TY Senior Member

Hmmm.... all good points. I guess we’ll have to see what happens.

11. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

I would not want anything Apple offers in my router. Just a world of hurt, sooner and later.

IFTTT and Alexa options should similarly be nuked from the firmware too if I had my wish. :)

12. royarcher

royarcher Senior Member

Don't hold back tell us what you really think

13. #TY

#TY Senior Member

So sad where we live in a world where hardly anyone can be trusted. Disgusting and shameful.

jld368 and CrystalLattice like this.
  14. CrystalLattice

This is why I use OpenWRT and LibreCMC (no blobs) on my routers. No longer use the word router, either, since Bill Gates named it, unfortunately for us. I now simply call them Network Appliances, which is what they really are.

royarcher likes this.
  15. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I'm not aware of any connection between Bill Gates and the word "router".

EDIT: You probably got his name confused with William (Bill) Yeager.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    L&LD and CrystalLattice like this.
  16. CrystalLattice

Bill Gates says on video tape that he walked up to Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner of Cisco at COMDEX in Las Vegas in 1985. They were showing the prototype Advanced Gateway Server(AGS) at their booth. Gates said to them, "why don't you simply call it a router?" He gives himself credit for this!

Actually, Cisco stole the router code from William (Bill) Yeager and Stanford University : https://www.networkworld.com/article/2309917/lan-wan-router-man.html .

royarcher likes this.
  17. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Well he might, I'm not sure anyone else does.:D I'm pretty sure the term had already been in relatively common use for such devices for a few years before then, so he wasn't exactly suggesting some "new word".

But it's not like Gates would try and take a commonly used word and claim it as his own invention is it. Not a word like "windows" for example.:D

18. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

I could not find many details yet, but I thought increasing security (of IoT devices) was the reason Apple introduced this:

HomeKit for Routers will create a virtual firewall between your full network and devices on that network.

Source: engadget.

CrystalLattice likes this.