What's new

How do I disable DNSMasq-dhcp?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deadeye

Occasional Visitor
I've been having a lot of annoying issues with my network lately. Many times my VPN stops randomly (Freedome), streaming video stops and other hiccups. I downloaded Little Snitch for my MBP and it was capturing IPv6 netbios communications as well as IPv6 from mDNSResponder service. Now I have IPv6 disabled on my router so I'm not 100% sure what is going on here. I have a suspicion that something "not-so-nice" may be responsible but nothing concrete, just a bunch of coincidences and oddities.

I had set my DNS servers to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 with dnssec enabled within the router however in addition to the IPv6, I also found in the syslog today, my ISP's DNS.

May 26 10:40:51 dnsmasq[803]: using nameserver 71.10.216.1#53

I either want to be using my VPN's DNS, or on the rare times i need my VPN off, I wanted to use Google's DNS. I also saw dnsmasq and that didn't seem right either, I thought I recalled seeing udhcp or something like that in the past. In reading about dnsmasq I read that it can intelligently add DHCP leases to the DNS DB for lookup requests. Maybe that is how the IPv6 was showing up? is that how my ISP's DNS came to be?

Right now I just want to get back to basics. How can I disable DNSmasq?

If you absolutely must: LAN/DHCP Server: Set it to disabled.
Good luck with your "router".

Make sure you set the Google DNS settings on the WAN DNS setting section under WAN->Internet Connection page and not the LAN. You'll need to change the Connect to DNS Server automatically to No.

If you absolutely must: LAN/DHCP Server: Set it to disabled.
Good luck with your "router".

I'm hearing annoyance in your response. If that is accurate, then I feel it is childish and unnecessary.

My understanding is DNSmasq is an "option" and not required in order to have DHCP functioning. Yes I can go to a static IP, which I may need to do, however I'm attempting to understand the root cause of my problem.

Make sure you set the Google DNS settings on the WAN DNS setting section under WAN->Internet Connection page and not the LAN. You'll need to change the Connect to DNS Server automatically to No.

Thank you Zirescu. I don't recall on what page I saw the DNS config setup on this morning (LAN/WAN), however I do appreciate your helpful response. Many thanks

I set the DNS on the WAN side. On the LAN side my options are:

Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS - No
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS - No
Enable DNSSEC support - Yes

I believe those options are valid, Am I correct?

Last edited:
Yes, that should do the trick.

I'm hearing annoyance in your response. If that is accurate, then I feel it is childish and unnecessary.

My understanding is DNSmasq is an "option" and not required in order to have DHCP functioning. Yes I can go to a static IP, which I may need to do, however I'm attempting to understand the root cause of my problem.
You can interprete that as whatever you want.
Your title and only question is how to disable DHCP/Dnsmasq.
That I answered.
Without Dnsmasq, not much routing is going on on the "router".
This is what I wanted to say.

My understanding is DNSmasq is an "option" and not required in order to have DHCP functioning.

It's the other way around. Dnsmasq is the DHCP server, if you stop dnsmasq, you lose the DHCP server in addition all name resolution.

It's the other way around. Dnsmasq is the DHCP server, if you stop dnsmasq, you lose the DHCP server in addition all name resolution.

Thank you for the clarification Merlin. I found a screenshot of dd-wrt from way back when that gave the option of using DNSmasq and when I read up on DNSmasq it mentioned that it could save 300k of ram by using it instead of udhcp (or a similiar acronym) blah blah blah. I have feeling that the info I was reading was from years ago perhaps before DNSmasq became a standard?

Since I reconfigured my router with the settings Zirescu suggested and wiping my MBP I have not yet seen the IPv6 communications I was seeing before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!