What's new

Solved Exists an Option to disable VPN Access for "Admin" user ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

data303

Occasional Visitor
When you create a VPN Server (OVPN), then there is always an "admin" user already reconfigured which can not be deleted or disabled. Exists a way how I can disable this "admin" user so he can not connect through VPN?

Thank you but it seems not to work when I enter a "Custom Configuration" into the advanced settings tab of the VPN server configuration then I get an error "OpenVPN server daemon failed to start. Please check your device environment or contents on the Advanced Setting page."

Code:
client-connect /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh

That is what I did:
  1. Ensure Option "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" is activated in the "Administration" section
  2. Log in via ssh and create a file i.e. "vi /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh"
  3. Make the file executable "chmod +x /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh"
  4. Go to the VPN Server Settings, change to "Advanced Settings"
  5. Enter at "Custom Configuration" at the bottom the line "client-connect /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh".
Screenshot from 2023-12-29 15-49-42.png

Here the content of the "/jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh"

Code:
#!/bin/sh
[ $username == "admin" ]  && exit 1

I tried with "$username" or just "username", also when the file is empty I get always the error "OpenVPN server daemon failed to start".

Do I need to restart the router when I do some modifications in "/jffs/scripts/" ?

Last edited:
If the server is failing to start it should tell you what the problem is in the router's System Log.

Thank you, Yes I see "Dec 29 15:52:47 ovpn-server1[13611]: Options error: --client-connect script fails with '/jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh': Permission denied (errno=13)"

But I don't understand why I have applied "chmod +x /jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh" and also see that the executable flags has been set on the file

Screenshot from 2023-12-29 16-01-03.png

I've just tried exactly the same thing as you did on my router and the server started up without any errors. What Firmware are you using?

I restarted the router and the VPN Server starts now with the "client-connect" script. However I always get the error "Dec 29 16:21:25 ovpn-server1[19616]: client WARNING: Failed running command (--client-connect): external program exited with error status: 1", allthough I login with a different username (not "admin")

What is your content of your script "/jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh" ? I see here in the forum different suggestions.

My firmware is "3004.388.4_0-gnuton1"

Last edited:
However I always get the error "Dec 29 16:21:25 ovpn-server1[19616]: client WARNING: Failed running command (--client-connect): external program exited with error status: 1"
So it looks like the script is matching the username test and exiting with code 1. I can't say whether that's right or wrong for your setup because I don't use Username/Password Authentication so $username doesn't exist for me.

P.S. Put $username in quotes, e.g. "$username" just to be safe.

Here the content of the "/jffs/scripts/ovpn-client-connect.sh"

Code:
#!/bin/sh
[ $username == "admin" ]  && exit 1
AFAIK, the specification for the "client-connect" option says that the cmd or script must return a success code for clients to connect, so something like this should work:
Bash:
[ $username = "admin" ] && exit 1 || exit 0

I don't know whether the current OpenVPN version in your router is enforcing this rule.

AFAIK, the specification for the "client-connect" option says that the cmd or script must return a success code for clients to connect, so something like this should work:
Bash:
[ $username = "admin" ] && exit 1 || exit 0

I don't know whether the current OpenVPN version in your router is enforcing this rule.
Unless set otherwise (e.g. a syntax error) the exit code is 0, so there shouldn't be any need to explicitly set it.
See post #14.

Last edited:
Thank you it works now

Here the final content I ended with:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
[ $username == "admin" ] && exit 1 || exit 0

Unless set otherwise (e.g. a syntax error) the exit code is 0, so there shouldn't be any need to explicitly set it.
Yes, that's technically correct. But based on the OP's results here:
I restarted the router and the VPN Server starts now with the "client-connect" script. However I always get the error "Dec 29 16:21:25 ovpn-server1[19616]: client WARNING: Failed running command (--client-connect): external program exited with error status: 1", allthough I login with a different username (not "admin")
I thought: "Well, just make the success status explicit and see how the server reacts."

Yes, that's technically correct. But based on the OP's results here:

I thought: "Well, just make the success status explicit and see how the server reacts."
Ah yes, I see my mistake now. He edited his post after I replied.

When username="admin" it exits setting rc=1. However if username<>"admin" the test fails (rc=1), also exiting with rc=1 (as the test was the last command executed). So you are correct, the exit code needs to be set to 0 when the test fails.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!