What's new

how do i open port 113

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim Erickson

New Around Here
i am running znc and oidentd on an RT-AX88U and i need to open port 113 to get an ident response. how do i go about this. i have port forwarding enabled but how do i tell the router to forward to itself? sorry for the newbie question. any help appreciated.

I don't know anything about znc or oidentd, but assuming that these processes are running on the router itself and listening on the router's WAN interface, then you would need a firewall rule not a port forwarding rule.

You'd also need to be running Merlin's firmware to setup such a rule. Try the following command, if it works you can put it in a firewall-start script.
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 113 -j ACCEPT

* N.B. I don't know whether your software uses udp or tcp.

I don't know anything about znc or oidentd, but assuming that these processes are running on the router itself and listening on the router's WAN interface, then you would need a firewall rule not a port forwarding rule.

You'd also need to be running Merlin's firmware to setup such a rule. Try the following command, if it works you can put it in a firewall-start script.
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 113 -j ACCEPT

* N.B. I don't know whether your software uses udp or tcp.
For educational reasons, what would the firewall rull be if it was running on some device on the network v.s. the router itself? How could you take a rule like this a write it in such away it was pointed at a device is what i mean?

thanks so much! in my case znc and oidentd are running on the router itself and listening on the wan interface. works perfect.

For educational reasons, what would the firewall rull be if it was running on some device on the network v.s. the router itself? How could you take a rule like this a write it in such away it was pointed at a device is what i mean?
That WOULD be a port forward.

That WOULD be a port forward.
well i kind of have a similar but unrelated issue. I have a device I am trying to point tcp traffic at and when I use a port forward the device avoids using the port I have assigned to go along its path, and will use the same port internally but will assign it to a different external path. can you think of any suggestions, or is this a design of the device?

well i kind of have a similar but unrelated issue. I have a device I am trying to point tcp traffic at and when I use a port forward the device avoids using the port I have assigned to go along its path, and will use the same port internally but will assign it to a different external path. can you think of any suggestions, or is this a design of the device?
I think you'll have to give us the specific details to make sense of what's happening.

I have a device I am trying to point tcp traffic at and when I use a port forward the device avoids using the port I have assigned to go along its path, and will use the same port internally but will assign it to a different external path. can you think of any suggestions, or is this a design of the device?

The port forward directs traffic, it doesn't determine what the client device/software does, you will need to configure that appropriately (there is no avoiding going on, just a lack of configuration from the sounds of it).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!