What's new

How do you whitelist Slickdeals and Ebates?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rugglebear

Occasional Visitor
Hello again,

Regarding "Diversion":
I've done a bit of searching but the best I've found is "add a whitelist txt file" but without actual instructions for which sites to add, the format of the text file, or where to put the text file.

My use case is basically:
Enjoy Diversion, but still be able to use Ebates and Slickdeals.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Hello again,

Regarding "Diversion":
I've done a bit of searching but the best I've found is "add a whitelist txt file" but without actual instructions for which sites to add, the format of the text file, or where to put the text file.

My use case is basically:
Enjoy Diversion, but still be able to use Ebates and Slickdeals.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

That is exactly how I'm using it. No modifications were necessary on my part. Default install(s) all around. ;)

That is exactly how I'm using it. No modifications were necessary on my part. Default install(s) all around. ;)
Thanks, do you have an example of the text file I would need to add for whitelisting (Slickdeals and Ebates), and how/where to actually add it?

Thanks again.

It will take some trial and error having Diversion running in ssh window with function f (follow log) for blocked domains only. In the web browser, try to browse to slickdeals.net. Once it fails to load, go back to Diversion ssh window and look for blocked domains. If your network is busy with many devices at the time it might be easier to enable extra logging in Diversion so the calling machine IP address is also logged (e.g. the PC where you browsed to Slickdeals).

Once you see a domain being blocked from that machine, run Diversion el function to add the domain to the whitelist interactively, using the exact full domain name you saw blocked in the log. Might be easier to have 2 SSH windows open, one for following the logfile and one for editing the whitelist.

Once now close and reopen your browser (to clear browsers dns cache) and try to open slickdeals again. Chances are good that a new domain will appear blocked this time and repeat the above steps to whitelist. Repeat until the site is usable.

Which block list are you using in Diversion?

It will take some trial and error having Diversion running in ssh window with function f (follow log) for blocked domains only. In the web browser, try to browse to slickdeals.net. Once it fails to load, go back to Diversion ssh window and look for blocked domains. If your network is busy with many devices at the time it might be easier to enable extra logging in Diversion so the calling machine IP address is also logged (e.g. the PC where you browsed to Slickdeals).

Once you see a domain being blocked from that machine, run Diversion el function to add the domain to the whitelist interactively, using the exact full domain name you saw blocked in the log. Might be easier to have 2 SSH windows open, one for following the logfile and one for editing the whitelist.

Once now close and reopen your browser (to clear browsers dns cache) and try to open slickdeals again. Chances are good that a new domain will appear blocked this time and repeat the above steps to whitelist. Repeat until the site is usable.

Which block list are you using in Diversion?

I'm using Diversion "Standard".
I understand what you're having me do, thanks it makes sense.
I was hoping there was already a preconfigured whitelist file people use for all the tracking redirects Slickdeals and Ebates uses.
(Slickdeals itself isn't blocked, it's all the redirects the site utilizes to "track" your purchases when you click the "Go to deal" buttons. Same with Ebates).
Thanks!

I'm using Diversion "Standard".
I understand what you're having me do, thanks it makes sense.
I was hoping there was already a preconfigured whitelist file people use for all the tracking redirects Slickdeals and Ebates uses.
(Slickdeals itself isn't blocked, it's all the redirects the site utilizes to "track" your purchases when you click the "Go to deal" buttons. Same with Ebates).
Thanks!
See https://help.slickdeals.net/hc/en-u...-Certain-Links-Lead-to-a-Page-not-found-Page-

These probably are not the full hostnames you would need to whitelist in Diversion, but you can compare the log output to this list.