What's new

How long time supported?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stardust

Regular Contributor
Hello all.

I have a RT-AC68U and are wondering: How long time shall I expect my router getting updates, like any updates, from ASUS, Merlin, Tomato, DD-WRT maybe some I don't know about??

I hope getting updates to minimum 2020, so I can at that time look for an ax-router.

But as long I can get updates for my router, I will keep it. For now I have only one ac client anyway.
All other clients are either G or N.
And will go minimum 3 years before I am getting an ax client.

Regards

Hello all.

I have a RT-AC68U and are wondering: How long time shall I expect my router getting updates, like any updates, from ASUS, Merlin, Tomato, DD-WRT maybe some I don't know about??

I hope getting updates to minimum 2020, so I can at that time look for an ax-router.

But as long I can get updates for my router, I will keep it. For now I have only one ac client anyway.
All other clients are either G or N.
And will go minimum 3 years before I am getting an ax client.

Regards

Oh, depending on what revision of the 68U you have, I think you can expect updates to 2020, maybe more. Hell, the original version of the 68U is still going strong.

I would definitely wait until 2020 for AX, maybe 2021 so things get fully baked, depending on the timeline of complete release. I'm definitely not in the market for draft AX hardware and then be stuck with it. If I'm gonna spend money, I need it to all work and for the next 5 years.

Thanks :) I do definity also not want any draft hardware, hence 2020 or later for shopping next router. And then I will try to find one that is supported for several years like you.

Was checking which version, and it was hardware version A2.

Asus supports routers for a long time , my over 11 year old rt16 was supported until recently {still works ), unlike other brands I have that have lost support after 6 months (wrt 600 linksys , 2700 v1 netgear both of which had problems never fixed ) . One of the things I like about Asus

Last edited:
Thanks jeery6. Now I stop worrying about my router's lifetime. And I can look at the answers I've got here that I can wait and see what's happening. I know that the next generations of routers have ax Wifi, and Wpa 3 instead of the current wpa 2. And as I have written earlier, draft ax has no interest ..
And in general, I understand that ASUS is likely to be considered next time, I'm going to buy a router.

Thank you both for writing in this thead. :)