What's new

How to Improve Buffer Bloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

win465

Regular Contributor
Been trying to reduce my buffer bloat with no luck. I have already turned on Adaptive Qos, but no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Router: AC87U
ISP: Charter
Firmware: Merlin 58 alpha 3
Adaptive Qos enabled

3216021.png

Last edited:
QoS can improve bufferbloat, but technically QoS is a separate concern from bufferbloat (which an AQM like CoDel or RED is meant to improve).

Concur - much of the issues with BufferBloat are actually upstream at the ISP (and their upstream providers)

Concur - much of the issues with BufferBloat are actually upstream at the ISP (and their upstream providers)

Is that your 5000th post? Congrats! (and thanks for sharing the knowledge)

Yeah, off-topic... sue me. :)

Is that your 5000th post? Congrats! (and thanks for sharing the knowledge)

Yeah, off-topic... sue me. :)

Kinda lost count - perhaps I'm spending too much time here :D

Nice catch and thanks - thanks to everyone in the community for sharing their knowledge - I've learned much from all of you!

snb_5k.png

Now to sort a recent broadband issue (upstream, intermittent connectivity issues, nothing with the in-house side)

Been trying to reduce my buffer bloat with no luck. I have already turned on Adaptive Qos, but no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Router: AC87U
ISP: Charter
Firmware: Merlin 58 alpha 3
Adaptive Qos enabled

3216021.png

After enabling Adaptive QoS, set your max download and upload speed slightly below your ISP provided speed.

Adaptive QoS is amazing indeed.

I've been puzzled by one phenomenon of the buffer bloat test on my GPON fiber connection. Download speeds up to maximum throughput almost instantly. Upload however climbs to maximum throughput gradually. I thought that was due to the nature of GPON but QoS eliminates the slow climb as well as buffer bloat on upload.

Sadly though Adaptive QoS doesn't handle traffic in tunnels. All sorts of "tunnels"...ipsec, 6in4, OpenVPN..

it is easy to do download test within ASUS - Merlin FW router (SSH or telnet) -
Code:
wget http://some-fast-server-near-you.com/file.test -O /dev/null

but how to do upload test from ASUS - Merlin FW router ?

is there some way to use this? https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...4f38f5eaab2/release/src/router/rc/speedtest.c

I use speedtest-cli via Entware-ng. Speedtest-cli is a python based program that uses the same servers that speedtest.net uses.

From what I remember, I first installed pip-tools:

opkg install python-pip

then used pip to install speedtest-cli:

pip install speedtest-cli

Here is a link to github:

https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

Works quite well. I get numbers on the router (an AC88U) that are very close to running speedtest.net on my PC.
I have been thinking of asking kvic to make a tools tab in the WebUI just like he did for NTP ;-)

I use speedtest-cli via Entware-ng. Speedtest-cli is a python based program that uses the same servers that speedtest.net uses.

From what I remember, I first installed pip-tools:

opkg install python-pip

then used pip to install speedtest-cli:

pip install speedtest-cli

Here is a link to github:

https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

Works quite well. I get numbers on the router (an AC88U) that are very close to running speedtest.net on my PC.
I have been thinking of asking kvic to make a tools tab in the WebUI just like he did for NTP ;-)

That would have the added benefit of being able to hassle ISPs when speeds aren't where they should be.

That would have the added benefit of being able to hassle ISPs when speeds aren't where they should be.

Indeed. No more "Please unplug your router and connect directly to the cable modem"!!!

I installed and tested a few weeks ago. I was having what appeared to be slow Web access. I wanted to check both the external network by running speedtest right on the router (no WiFi or Ethernet) then on a PC connected over WiFi. Same remote servers in both cases.

The problem turned out to be the Website I was accessing....but now I have a new network tool ;-)