What's new

How To Make A Windows Time Machine Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It works now!!!!!!!
I don't know what was the problem but I tryed to give again permission with chmod -R 777 * and now I can write correctly from my mac!!!
It's great, thank you so much Kevin!!
I have a last question: should not I see the timecapsule Icon on my mac near the "MyTimeCapsule" share?!

Thnak you again!! :):):):)

phew! I was out of ideas. You should see the icon if you have
<txt-record>model=TimeCapsule</txt-record>
in your afpd.service file.

Yep, it seems correct:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
<name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
<service>
<type>_afpovertcp._tcp</type>
<port>548</port>
</service>
<service>
<type>_device-info._tcp</type>
<port>0</port>
<txt-record>model=TimeCapsule</txt-record>
</service>
</service-group>

but I have a generic "monitor" icon
Well, it's not so important but....Now that I've reached all my results... It would be great having the right icon also!! :p

I'm sorry if I'm missing something, but when I start up the pre-built VM, I get asked for a username and password. Everything seems to work fine without logging in, I can see the shared TC drive on my mac, but when I try to set up a TM backup it asks me for a username and password which I can only assume is the login for Debian. Do I need the login information? Or is it already in the article and I'm just blatantly missing it haha. Great work with the prebuild package!

change root password

How do I change the root password for this VM? I can login to root just fine, but when I try "/usr/bin/passwd" I get:

passwd: Module is unknown
passwd: password unchanged

TimeCapsule Size

I modified MyTimeCapsule2-disk2.vmdk to be 1 TB. But when I connect from my Mac 9for the first time) it says there is only 498 MB available of 908 MB. Any way to change some parameter to use more of that 1 TB disk?

Thanks!

disk size

following up my previous post it seems as if the time machine is trying to use the tiny 1GB disk1, how do I get it to use the 1TB disk 2?

large disk not mounted?

I assume this means that the 2nd disk is not mounted.

I'm not a Unix expert (used it heavily 15-25 years ago, but very little since and definitely not Linux).

Uh, how can I get the output to paste it? I see no way to copy & paste from the VM and mail doesn't allow mailing outside the VM so I can't get the output that way.

I have a screen capture here (bitmap): http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/landay/temp/vm.png

changing root password

btw, that advice allowed changing the root password... don't understand why... THANKS!

No network connectivity

Hi -

I was really pleased to find your article and a possible solution to the TimeMachine issue with Lion and WHS2011.

I have installed VirtualBox on my WHS2011, downloaded and got the appliance up and running OK, but I cannot see it from my Mac's.

I have checked the Network Settings of the appliance:

Adapter 1 is enabled
set to 'Bridged Adapter'
Advanced/Adapter Type is 'Paravirtualized'
Promiscous: Deny
Cable: Connected

I am new to Linux, but have managed to log into the appliance and run a PING of the host machine IP (192.168.1.100) and get 'Network Unreachable'.

IFCONFIG on the appliance gives
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope: Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

On the WHS2011 host, I can see the 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network' adapter
It has an IP4 address of 192.168.56.1

I have tried disabling the firewall on WHS, but it made no difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how might troubleshoot/fix this?

thanks

I think I know the problem. I should provide some proper instructions for increasing the hard disk. Let's begin:
  1. remove the old disk image in VirtualBox (100GB on SATA Port 2)
  2. Create a new disk image in VirtualBox and attach it to your VM again on SATA Port 2.
  3. Boot the VM and log in with root.
  4. type in fdisk /dev/sdb
  5. type in o to create a new MSDOS structure
  6. type in n then p then 1 and then accept the defaults to create a new primary partition
  7. type in w to write your changes and then exit
  8. type in mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1 to format it to ext4
  9. reboot

now when you type in df -h you should see an entry for /mnt/MyTimeCapsuleData and time machine should work.

Hope this helps
Kevin

Hi Keith, welcome to the forums.
Hmmm, this is a strange one. Some thoughts:
1. I guess, as you are running on a WHS server, there is no wireless, but under the Bridged setting, please check that it is bridged to the right physical adapter on your host machine. It will probably say something about gigabit ethernet.
2. eth0 is not connected for some reason. What does ifconfig eth0 give? A screenshot is fine as typing it in is a pain.
3. try forcing eth0 to connect with ifup eth0, what does it tell you?
4. Try running the VM on your laptop/desktop. Does it work there?

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Hi Kevin -
thanks for the swift reply.

It appears that eth0 does not exist...
IFUP eth0
SIOCSIFADDR: No such address

I have already scratched the appliance and re-imported the ova file once. Maybe I should do that again?

K

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 10.19.08.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 10.19.08.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 535
  • Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 10.37.07.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 10.37.07.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
here is ifconfig -a

I am afraid I have only my WHS box and 2 iMacs here. I could try it on one of the iMac's but unfortunately can't do that right now due to work commitments.

thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 11.41.16.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 11.41.16.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 543
I know what the problem is, it is now assigned to eth1 (cause by a new MAC address I think). Let me write some instructions. Not sure why this hasn't come up before....

It's caused by a change in MAC address. The system reserved the MAC that was on my system as eth0, so when you add your adapter (which has a different MAC) it puts it at eth1.

Try this:
edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and remove all the lines under the initial comment (the first 5 lines in my case). This file will be regenerated once you reboot. Your adapter should then be assigned to eth0.

As I said, I'm not sure why this hasn't arisen before. I thought that the MAC would be retained when you import the appliance so it wouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, give it a go and let me know.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!