What's new

How to provide 5g wifi network for 1000 buildings using wifi mesh technology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amal

New Around Here
Hi all,

I would like to get some ideas for providing a 5G cellular wifi network for about 1000 independent buildings (in a single campus spread around 120 Acres) using the wifi mesh technology.

Can anybody put some light on this subject matter?

new to this forum. so don't have any idea about you guys..!

Thanks in advance

I would look at directed beaming antenna's and using the light-masts around the buildings to mount AP's on instead of AP per building/floor.

And here are the antenna's you can mount:
Waterproof the AP's, run power/Lan cable down to the ground, in to a concentration box and off you go.

Mount points:

Capture.png

Ask @sfx2000 if he's taking on those kinds of projects today too. :)

Hi all,

I would like to get some ideas for providing a 5G cellular wifi network for about 1000 independent buildings (in a single campus spread around 120 Acres) using the wifi mesh technology.

Can anybody put some light on this subject matter?

new to this forum. so don't have any idea about you guys..!

Thanks in advance

Well - this is well out of the scope of Small Networks...

Allow me to share some thoughts, though...

WiFi Mesh isn't going to cut it with 4G/5G WAN support, simply put, for backhauling 4G/5G small cells. You will not have enough bandwidth or quality of service control to support it.

That being said - the CBRS band (Band 48) is set aside for public/private usage, and there's a fair amount of development in this sector, but one does need to be mindful of backhaul considerations, along with appropriate device support in that band - CBRS is the right solution for a campus network that is privately owned, as doing 4G/5G in other bands, which are licensed/regulated to a tighter degree is a non-starter.

4G/5G is the right call to cover a 120 acre campus, and the size/scope of the number of building (and more importantly, the number of users of that network).

It's a solvable problem, but this is a major project as @thiggins mentions, and one that likely will involve a telco provider of some sort, either as a primary (this is totally doable there), or as a supplier/vendor.

As @L&LD mentions - yes, I'm in the small cell business as part of my day job, but we're sorting/solving a different market segment

sfx

4G/5G is the right call to cover a 120 acre campus, and the size/scope of the number of building (and more importantly, the number of users of that network).

Your talking about 4g/5g mobile phone network and the topic is "5g wifi network...wifi mesh"

Did I miss anything or are we talking apples/oranges?
4g/5g cellular distribution towers are much easier (and less towers) to deploy than 5ghz wifi sector (or even wide angle) points.

@itpp20 - Based on inclusion of the word "cellular", I believe the OP is referencing "5G" as 5G LTE, which would very likely be most appropriately solved via a locally-licensed CBRS solution (per @sfx2000's post), as opposed to vanilla 5Ghz wifi, which I venture would require considerably more hardware and wired infrastructure to achieve a similar SLA.

@Amal - Per Tim's post, and budget notwithstanding, I would almost certainly bring in a pro outfit to assess, architect and implement a solution for you. At this size and scale, I would presume the value of getting it done right the first time far outweighs any lesser alternatives, by virtue of the savings in opportunity cost alone, if nothing else.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!