What's new

How to rescue? Can't reach the vpn server after changing comp - lzo adaptive to none

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If it is working, perhaps you leave everything alone until you are next at the cabin. Then fiddle with your server while you have physical access. Perhaps we are pushing you to do something not immediately necessary.
This is good advice :)

If it is working, perhaps you leave everything alone until you are next at the cabin. Then fiddle with your server while you have physical access. Perhaps we are pushing you to do something not immediately necessary.

VPN access is critical to me, so I am set up the same way as @martinr. Except for power failures, the VPN server hasn't "failed". Sometimes I have done something that conflicts, or one or the other fails to start. The second server then has allowed me to revert the change, or at least keep going until I have physical access again.

If you start server2 while you are connected to server1, nothing happens to your server1 connection. If the server2 config is ok, you can go to the VPN page and see both running, with your active connection to server1. You can export the client2.ovpn connection while connected to server1. Have to, I guess.
Thank you again, elorimer

Now it's easy make a decision: I do nothing more no, but add the server 2 when I am at my summer cabin hopely not before April 2019.

Thanks to everybody who have participated in this thread.

Thank you very much, both ColinTaylor and martinr

I am very afraid of doing anything that will cut off my connection to the asus and the camera. I am thinking; config the vpn server 2 with UDP and port 1198, use the same user and password as under server 1 and Apply. As I am remote I will loose my connection? How to rescue? If I can be connected I am next going to export a client2.ovpn.

Comments?

It’s good that you are afraid, and, as always, elorimer’s advice - not to mess until you are home - should be followed to the letter. And it’s not that he has the same setup as I have: I copied his setup, together with his advice on how to make it work properly with pixelserv-tls.

You asked about using the same username and password as under Server 1. I do that. But I use a different username and password for each device allowed to connect - not the same pair for everybody. It’s easier to remove a specific device that way.

In the server settings, if you set “Username/Password Auth Only” to Yes, then your security is limited to username and passwords only. If you set it to No (with UsernamePassword Authentication set to Yes) , you get the security of usernames and passwords AND you get the extra, and better, security of public key infrastructure (public -private keys and certificates). They get created for you and the relevant parts get exported in the .ovpn file. You don’t need to know or do anything.

Hallo martinr
Thanks for the technical details. I'll go back to this thread before I config the server 2.
Until then I leave it as it is as stated earlier.
All best,
xlarge