What's new

how to reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
When you do a hard reset on an Assus rt ac 88 u with merlin firmware should I check the restore box .The one that says initialize all the settings,and clear all the data logs for AiProtect ,traffic Analyzer and Webb history or just reset without the box checked?Does it make any difference it's just that since the last update to 384.12 my router loses internet connection wired and wireless and needs rebooting to get it happening again.I have done a hard reset since the upgrade but without the box checked.It will lose internet connection maybe once a day and as it's only been doing it for the last couple of days I can't be sure that it is an issue or not yet.May be just coincidence time will tell but in the mean time I thought I would try another hard reset. PS when it loses connection the lights of the router don't turn red so you can't tell it's lost connection until you try to do/ use something

Last edited:
When you do a hard reset on an Assus rt ac 88 u with merlin firmware should I check the restore box .The one that says initialize all the settings,and clear all the data logs for AiProtect ,traffic Analyzer and Webb history or just reset without the box checked?Does it make any difference it's just that since the last update to 384.12 my router loses internet connection wired and wireless and needs rebooting to get it happening again.I have done a hard reset since the upgrade but without the box checked.It will lose internet connection maybe once a day and as it's only been doing it for the last couple of days I can't be sure that it is an issue or not yet.May be just coincidence time will tell but in the mean time I thought I would try another hard reset. PS when it loses connection the lights of the router don't turn red so you can't tell it's lost connection until you try to do/ use something
Check dnsmasq. sometimes I have a problem where I am connected to the internet I can ping an ip but not a domain. Dnsmasq may need to be restarted. Also I have had issues in the past where I have needed to redownload the firmware and then reflash to correct a problem that I cant fugure out. Works 95% of the time. good luck.

yes to clear NVRAM too in case it got corrupted!
And load same firmware again with restauration tool from Asus.

.....Also I have had issues in the past where I have needed to redownload the firmware and then reflash to correct a problem that I cant fugure out. Works 95% of the time. good luck.

That may well accord with
L&LD’s “Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).”

from: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

I’m beginning to wonder if, in the future, L&LD might suggest the reflash as a matter of course rather than waiting to see if there are random glitches.

If the problems persist it might also be worth putting the router into recovery mode and loading the firmware that way.

If the problems persist it might also be worth putting the router into recovery mode and loading the firmware that way.
Ok thanks guys you all have convinced me I will flash the firmware again (now that I have mastered unziping files) when I get home from work and this time when I reboot it (hard) I will check the box and clear everything

I'll save putting it in to recovery mode off and see how I go with the reflash and if the problem persists I will do it then thanks guys

When I do a recovery my preference is to recover to one version in arrears firmware (11_2 if running 12) and then after the process has completed you are sure it actually happened. I then do a factory reset and then upgrade to the latest firmware version.

When my AC86 was having problems I wasn't sure that the recovery process actually completed sucessfully, but by going back to an older version of the firmware I had at least a visual confirmation that something had happened.

When I do a recovery my preference is to recover to one version in arrears firmware (11_2 if running 12) and then after the process has completed you are sure it actually happened. I then do a factory reset and then upgrade to the latest firmware version.

When my AC86 was having problems I wasn't sure that the recovery process actually completed sucessfully, but by going back to an older version of the firmware I had at least a visual confirmation that something had happened.

A factory reset is required after flashing the firmware you want to use. If you want your router to be in a good/known state on the firmware you will run it on. ;)

Ok I can relate to that. I did a re flash twice today for that exact reason,not sure whether it took or not.I think my problem is resolved now but only time will tell.It only plays up when you use a VPN for a few days in a row so I'll see what happens and if it still is playing up I will try your way.I am hoping it is resolved thought, I did the l&l d process today and so far it's looking good