What's new

How to run speedtest directly on RT-AC68U router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BosseSwede

Regular Contributor
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U router on a remote site, which is connected to my home LAN by way of the built-in OpenVPN client so both networks "see" each other.
The remote LAN newly got fiber installed (fiber activated Jan 2nd) and I was able to visit on Feb 9th to set up the ASUS router and networking.

The service I am using is supposed to be 250/250 Mbps but it seems like the upload direction is not providing that speed. But download sits at the 250 Mbps mark every time.
The tests I have done are from Linux client computers attached to the router using SSH to access them. I have use various CLI interfaced services to compare. All show deficient upload speed, varying strangely over the day in a 24 hour repeating pattern.

This problem was discovered after I left the remote site and it will still be some time before I can get there again...

Now I wonder if there is some way to perform speed tests directly from the router itself so as to bypass all possible problems with client devices on the LAN?

I have googled and it seems like there is some kind of "plug-in" available for "Merlin" but I don't know hos to access that or how to do a speed test on the router itself or what Merlin is...
My remote RT-AC68U now runs f/w 3.0.0.4.384_32799 if that matters.

I have prepared an RT-AC86U replacement router for installation the next time I get to the remote site. It runs: f/w 3.0.0.4.386.46092

I did not dare update the remote site f/w without being present on the site. It seems like there is a newer f/w 3.0.0.4.386.46065 for this RT-AC68U router.

Using the Merlin Firmware, the QOS tab has the ability to use Speedtest from within.
You can look up what the Merlin Firmware is, but basically it is a customized Firmware based off of the Asus Firmware. More bells and whistles, if you want them, but generally the same look and feel as the Asus FW.

Using the Merlin Firmware, the QOS tab has the ability to use Speedtest from within.
@BosseSwede This is the same speed test that comes with stock firmware. However, it was only introduced in the 386 firmwares so you won't see it in your current 384 routers.

Doing speed tests onboard the RT-AC68U gives inaccurate figures because the test is limited by the router's weak CPU. This is made worse if you're also running a VPN which is CPU intensive. The RT-AC86U suffers from the same problem but to a lesser extent. For accurate results you need to test from an Ethernet connected LAN client (and with the VPN turned off).

Now I wonder if there is some way to perform speed tests directly from the router itself so as to bypass all possible problems with client devices on the LAN?
Not on the stock firmware.
Yes - see @ColinTaylor's post above.

I have googled and it seems like there is some kind of "plug-in" available for "Merlin" but I don't know hos to access that or how to do a speed test on the router itself or what Merlin is...
Asuswrt-Merlin is a third party alternative firmware for Asus routers, with some additional features. It looks and feels similar to the stock firmware, but has a number of additional features. It has the same built-in internet speedtest as stock firmware that you can access through the GUI
1nDGxZu.jpg

But it also makes it easy to run scripts such as spdMerlin which allows you to track internet speeds over time

QPIUkEl.jpg

I did not dare update the remote site f/w without being present on the site.
You'll need to flash Asuswrt-Merlin the same way you do stock firmware updates.

Last edited:
Yes, on stock. See my previous post. The Ookla speed test is part of the stock firmware.
Sorry - things have obviously moved on since I last used stock. Will edit my post above to avoid confusion.

OK thanks, I found it on the Adaptive QoS tab in the most recent standard firmware (which is on the new RT-AC86U router not yet deployed).
I thought that if I run speedtest on the router it would be the most capable networking device I have, but by the answers here I presume this is not the case.

So the whole idea falls apart, really.
When I visit the remote site next I will replace the existing router and bring the old RT-AC68U home for experimentation.
But speed tests will be done by for example a HP ProDesk 400 G4 Mini, which I have on the remote site. It runs Ubuntu 20.04.3 I believe.
It is powered off at the moment, though, and one of my tasks there will also be to install a remotely controlled power switch in its power line so I can control its power state from afar.

But speed tests will be done by for example a HP ProDesk 400 G4 Mini, which I have on the remote site. It runs Ubuntu 20.04.3 I believe.
It is powered off at the moment, though, and one of my tasks there will also be to install a remotely controlled power switch in its power line so I can control its power state from afar.
You might want to consider enabling WoL in it's BIOS (if it's not already configured) and using the router to remote boot it (Network Tools - Wake on LAN).

Well, it "died" while I was doing "sudo apt full-upgrade" a week or more ago commanded via SSH.
Since then it is in need of a power cycle. Don't know what it is doing but it responds to ping but nothing more. Cannot SSH into it for instance.
In such cases I believe a power cycle is the only remedy...

Not on the stock firmware.
Yes - see @ColinTaylor's post above.

Asuswrt-Merlin is a third party alternative firmware for Asus routers, with some additional features. It looks and feels similar to the stock firmware, but has a number of additional features. It has the same built-in internet speedtest as stock firmware that you can access through the GUI
1nDGxZu.jpg

But it also makes it easy to run scripts such as spdMerlin which allows you to track internet speeds over time

QPIUkEl.jpg

You'll need to flash Asuswrt-Merlin the same way you do stock firmware updates.
thanks for this, I wanted to do this but couldnt understand a way. didnt know ASUS has a third party alternative

The RT-AC86U suffers from the same problem but to a lesser extent. For accurate results you need to test from an Ethernet connected LAN client (and with the VPN turned off).
I believe the RT-ax86u is a hardware flawed unit that cannot exceed 1.2 mbps in it lan/wan Ethernet connection anyways.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!