What's new

How to set up external hdd securely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmn1

I just recently purchased a 2TB drive for the sole purpose of hooking it up to the usb 3.0 port of the AC68R and making it my "cloud".

I plan on storing sensitive documents on this drive and want to understand what would be the best way to go about doing this.

I would prefer to truecrypt the entire drive and then automount and dismount it whenever needed/not needed via a script.

Another idea I have is to zip up whatever I plan on throwing onto the drive and assign the zip an extremely sophisticated password.

Are there any threads that cover this already?

Thanks!

Sounds like a great idea mate. But no matter how secure your HDD is, the "cloud" is the weak point.

Yeah, you can go on about explaining how secure a "cloud" is, but at the end of the day nothing is secure. So if some one wants to get the data, they will do so. Its like putting a most expensive door lock on your front door, yet there are other weak points in your house.

If the data is "sensitive" as you say it is, then you should stay away from "cloud", especially when its free.

If you want to keep your data safe, then get your self a small fire proof safe and keep the HDD there when ever you are not using it.

If the data is very important to you, then have two HHD's, thus you have two copies incase one HDD fails for some reason, but keep them both in a fire proof safe at your house, or in a safe deposit box.

Furthermore, if this data are your tax returns or naked pics of your gal, then keep it off the cloud. If its work related, then dont bring it home and if you have to bring work related data home, then you should never ever upload it to any cloud, except to your work cloud through a secure VPN.