What's new

How We Test Wireless Products - Revision 9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
Do you think if the RAM and HDD of this Leveno PC will affect the test performance? I would like to buy the same one. Could you provide some information about this?( how many RAM/ HDD or SSD?) :D
From http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-we-test-smallnetbuilders-wireless-testbed-v2-

"The V2 testbed has gotten a computer upgrade, too. The Dell Optiplex 790 Small Form Factor (Core i5-2400 @ 3.1 GHz) formerly used in the lower chamber now connects to the upper chamber and runs the IxChariot console and the IxChariot test endpoint for the Device Under Test (DUT). The Test STA computer is also a Dell Optiplex SFF machine, but a 9010 model with Core i5 3570 CPU @ 3.4 GHz. After a briefly wrestling with Windows 8 quirks, I decided to stay with Windows 7 Pro on both systems. "

Systems make even less of a difference now. The only benchmark that
can be affected by the test machines is throughput vs. attenuation and
that is very unlikely with the 2x2 client on the STA and quad-core
processors.

Hi Tim,

I'm setting up the same system for performing "Throughput vs. Attenuation Test" in our lab, would like to learn if there's a specific sw package of Lenovo 600M and the AC8260 driver version that you use.
I ran some tests with different commercial devices, couple of them are not able to get a stable throughput even if I disable the rounding table and config the attenuation at 0. Thanks!

Hi, Tim,
I noticed that you only create 1 pair for the test. Why don't create 3~6 chariot pairs?
Meanwhile, you mentioned that you use the result of throughput.scr is better than High_Performance_Throughput.scr.
But in my test, the result of High_Performance_Throughput.scr is better.
I have no idea about these difference.....

The benchmarks focus on relative performance comparison. The single stream and throughput script are sufficient for those needs.

More streams and using the High_Performance_Throughput.scr script may yield higher throughput. But so can using a different test STA. The important thing is that test setup is controlled and consistent so that results can be fairly compared.

Tim,

I'm setting my router for Maximum Wireless Throughput Test Configuration.

May I know if the test is performed one band ( 5Ghz/2.4Ghz) at a time , or both the bands
simultaneously. I see only one RF card on veriwave so wondering if the test is done simultaneously.

Thanks
Vasu

Hi Tim ,

Another question:
We may have move the physical setups of Octobox and Veriwave in order to perform Maximum Wireless Throughput Test.
We keep both the setups separately while testing in house.
Can we use only Veriwave to test this section.

Thanks
Vasu

Hi Tim ,

Another question:
We may have move the physical setups of Octobox and Veriwave in order to perform Maximum Wireless Throughput Test.
We keep both the setups separately while testing in house.
Can we use only Veriwave to test this section.

Thanks
Vasu
We are no longer using the Rev 9 process. The new processes are here:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...104-how-we-test-wireless-products-revision-10

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/33107-how-we-test-hardware-routers-revision-10

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!