What's new

HT160 and lower channels on the R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
I'm trying to understand the possibility of using the HT160 option in the R7800.

Poking around the web I found folks made it work but only by selecting lower channels for the 5ghz radio. I tested some options. If I use the higher channels very unstable. Drops, etc. All clients drop even if no HT160 in the client. I've switched to the lower channels and trying those this morning. So far no drops. I have 2 laptops with Intel AX cards so they do 160.

Speeds are up too which is nice. But can't have drops of course.

Lower channels work because they don't touch any DFS channels?

The AX200 doesn't support 80+80 mode. So it needs 8 contiguous channels to make a 160 MHz wide channel. Even if you set the control channel to 36, you'll still go into DFS channels.

I think your disconnects are due to radar activity in the upper bands.

I have an AX201 and an AX-X210. Both hold at 866. I haven't done anything near what was done in the article to test them.

Did share the frequent disconnects when using upper bands.

@jsmiddleton4 Thanks for digging up that oldie. Now that I'm back to reviewing, I need to review my old articles! :)

To confirm, both your Intel adapters stay linked at 866 when connected to an R7800 set to 160 MHz bandwidth and channel 36 as primary channel?

Yep. Haven't dropped once. 866.7. Will go down to 600 something but pop right back to 866.7. Dropped so much it was an unusable option when tried with the higher channels last night.

What I got from the article is while not knowing what I was doing I stumbled across the best setting. The chart for what channels are used, which use DFS, which don't, made 36 the winner.......although might try 40.

Using Voxel's V1.0.2.82.3SF.

Chores to do. Will report back regarding channel 40 later. I just switched to it.

Xfinity speed test to laptop with AX201 card.
Capture.JPG

No drops channel 40. 2 laptops with the intel cards. 3 iPHONES. 1 iPad. LG TV. ROKU Ultra. Nintendo Switch. Denon X2600H. Not all are HT160 of course. But all would drop connection to R7800 with upper channels/HT160.

Like Mikey....I like it......

Thanks for the information. But 866 Mbps link rate for a two stream device is 80 MHz rate. You should see 1733 Mbps if you have a 160 MHz connection.

Nothing specifically. It's just a collection of information.
(But for the discussion here about 1733 Mbps, chapter 10 could be a starter.)
Also the site also has a link to software for R7800 to check the Modulation and Coding Scheme.

Yep. Haven't dropped once. 866.7. Will go down to 600 something but pop right back to 866.7. Dropped so much it was an unusable option when tried with the higher channels last night.

What I got from the article is while not knowing what I was doing I stumbled across the best setting. The chart for what channels are used, which use DFS, which don't, made 36 the winner.......although might try 40.

Using Voxel's V1.0.2.82.3SF.

Chores to do. Will report back regarding channel 40 later. I just switched to it.

Listed channels on the router are 20Mhz, in this case 36/40/44/48 the R7800 will use all 4 regardless of which channel you select in 36-48, in HT80 mode the router tries to stay in the first 80Mhz with a center channel of 42 when selecting those 4 channels. Unless you’re dropping to HT40 or H20 it shouldn’t make a difference which of the 4 you select. If you select HT160 with any of the 4 selected it will still tack on the next 80 MHz of channels with a 58 center channel, it’s not going to offset the channels to right just because you picked 48 instead of 36. It will only move to the next block at HT80 say if you pick channel 52. The router will try to stay in the 80/160 MHz blocks below.

1614456592366.jpeg

Last edited:
"It will only move to the next block at HT80 say if you pick channel 52. The router will try to stay in the 80/160 MHz blocks below."

And the "next block" are the DFS channels yes? Which tend to be unstable yes?

I'm still holding at 1.7gbs this morning. No complaints from any clients, I mean family members, regarding drops last night. Since one is addicted to Fortnight on the Nintendo Switch had there been drops I woulda heard..... "Dad wake up, I died because I dropped!"

I left it at channel 40 but IF I understand avtella correctly, the specific channel doesn't matter. I could pick 36-48 and I'd be using the same group of channels as a package or set.

I know this isn't like finding half a frozen body that has a virus that generated an entire TV series but I like it. I'm leaving it this way. Of course its noticeably faster. The auto connect when I boot up my laptop is instantaneous. Used to take just moment. If I go to any channels that try to use DFS channels I drop, drop, drop.

The Intel AX201 card came in my Acer Aspire 5 laptop. I updated an HP X360 13 inch to the AX210. Held my breath too thinking HP may have done that whitelist crap and the thing wouldn't work. The wireless card on the bottom of its motherboard so it has to come completely apart to swap the wireless card. Obviously worked. Not sure if HP still does that whitelist crap anyway. The card was 25 bucks and its 6e. Like 6ghz is gonna be a common reasonably priced usable option........ ;)

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
When did your link rate change from 866 to 1733?
You haven't found the lost ark. :) It's not impossible to have a stable connection with DFS channels, as you have found.

Good morning. Isn't that last sentence backwards? I am unstable if I use any set of channels that tap the DFS channels. The only way I'm stable at 1733 is to stay in the lowest range channel options. What I found is using any DFS channels for me is unstable.

Until I was sure using the lower channels was stable I left the HT160 option disabled. I knew HT160 enabled and upper channels was unstable. I was going step by step to make sure "unstable" wasn't due to some other variable. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

When I reenabled HT160 with the now known stable lower channels, boom, pegged 1733 and Xfiinity Speed Test confirmed.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. The only way you can stay out of DFS when using 160 MHz wide channels is to use 80+80. This would use channels 36-48 and 149-161.

I don't think the AX200/201 supports 80+80 because it requires the use of two sets of RF chains.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!