What's new

Huge Bufferbloat with ASUS RT-AX86U and installed the latest Merlin Firmware. 500mbps up/down connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Incubus32

Occasional Visitor
Hi there, I'm very new here :)

I recently bought the ASUS RT-AX86U and installed the latest merlin firmware. I have a fully symmetrical 500mbps up/down.

I am experiencing a huge bufferbloat with this set up. I tried hooking up the modem directly to my PC and this resolved the issue. However, using my new router is really a pain right now. Been troubleshooting this non-stop and I can't get the right configuration.

There's a huge packet loss when using the router. Whenever someone in the local network request a big chunk of data i.e. our 4k TV, or anyone streaming while I'm playing Warzone, I experienced packet loss and rubber banding :(

I tried to disable QOS and test it again while enabled, still the same result. Only it will get better if I remove the router from the equation. But that's not a possibility :( I have a lot of IoT devices at home.

Clients connected to the router are mostly like around 23-25 including IoT devices.

Hope someone can help me resolve this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
With your bandwidth turn off QOS. Also go to 386.5 beta 1

What settings are you using for QOS?
Hey man, I recently used Flex QOS and Asus standard QOS, but to no avail.

Honestly, I haven't tinker that much with Flex QOS settings. And also I noticed the spike and packet loss when some in the local network request for a bit chunk of data or like a packet burst while I'm in game.

I am not sure if the router doesn't like the sudden bump in data request?

With your bandwidth turn off QOS. Also go to 386.5 beta 1
Hi! I already tried, 386.4 and the current 386.5 beta 1.

I tried also reverting back to stock ASUS firmware. Still experiencing the same odd behaviour.

I know 500mbps symmetrical shouldn't have these issues or doesn't even need for a QOS. But trust me, none of this issues persist, if I connect my computer directly to the modem :(

While I was playing warzone earlier, I noticed the packetloss and spike when there's a massive requests/data burst for internet. [Like streaming devices]

I also tried changing cables, the one that connects my modem to the ASUS router. Cat 5e, Cat 6 even Cat 7 all brand-new, still the annoying bufferbloat exists :(

Hi! I already tried, 386.4 and the current 386.5 beta 1.

I tried also reverting back to stock ASUS firmware. Still experiencing the same odd behaviour.

I know 500mbps symmetrical shouldn't have these issues or doesn't even need for a QOS. But trust me, none of this issues persist, if I connect my computer directly to the modem :(

While I was playing warzone earlier, I noticed the packetloss and spike when there's a massive requests/data burst for internet. [Like streaming devices]

I also tried changing cables, the one that connects my modem to the ASUS router. Cat 5e, Cat 6 even Cat 7 all brand-new, still the annoying bufferbloat exists :(
Well, you have done all the recommended steps. DId you do a factory reset after loading new firmware and manually reconfigure? If you use QOS do Adaptive and set the bandwidth to manual to 95% of tested. Do you use the Waveform bufferbloat test?

Well, you have done all the recommended steps. DId you do a factory reset after loading new firmware and manually reconfigure? If you use QOS do Adaptive and set the bandwidth to manual to 95% of tested. Do you use the Waveform bufferbloat test?
Yes I did, in every brand new flash I always reset and configure everything manually :(

Also I do set my bandwidth manually, 450down and 420up.

Tried waveform bufferbloat test and get an occasional B and A.

Here's exit lag's real time monitoring. 10minutes after I turned my PC [Currently using AX86U and lots of devices connected to it]

1645884933119.png

Attachments

• 1645884873547.png
    1645884873547.png
    80 KB · Views: 171
But trust me, none of this issues persist, if I connect my computer directly to the modem :(
Well obviously they wouldn't because you can only have one device connected to the modem. Therefore, by definition there can't be any other concurrent users.

And here's what I got earlier today when I tried hooking up my PC directly to the modem [without the router]

Finished 1 Warzone Battle Royale and also played Unranked mode in Valorant.

There are some lost packets from google, but haven't experienced any rubber banding and lag while playing. -

1645885032932.png

Well obviously they wouldn't because you can only have one device connected to the modem. Therefore, by definition there can't be any other concurrent users.
Yes indeed, and I am really wondering with the internet connection of 500mbps sym, this shouldn't be happening. I am feeling so hopeless to be able to configure this properly :(

Hm.. I am still trying to understand gamers. I have had several conversations with my grandson about gamers and their quest for the perfect system and still feel I am coming up short.
I looked up the app you are using to test your connection and am wondering if they may have something in there to help you send them more money to fix something that isn't broken. If you are getting an A and B on Waveform that is great. I would also raise your manual QOS settings closer to the 500 mark.While I have a 100/100 fiber connection I get A on Waveform every time with just the Asus QOS and my pink is usually about 3ms.

Hm.. I am still trying to understand gamers. I have had several conversations with my grandson about gamers and their quest for the perfect system and still feel I am coming up short.
I looked up the app you are using to test your connection and am wondering if they may have something in there to help you send them more money to fix something that isn't broken. If you are getting an A and B on Waveform that is great. I would also raise your manual QOS settings closer to the 500 mark.While I have a 100/100 fiber connection I get A on Waveform every time with just the Asus QOS and my pink is usually about 3ms.
I recently experienced this issues after my ISP bumped my connection from 150mbps to 500mbps. Exit lag is like a VPN client, but not currently using it while in game when troubleshooting. Only it's diagnostic features.

It's kinda weird that it's displaying a lot of packet loss while using a router after the modem with this half gigabit speed :(

I felt like I exerted all efforts but still, came up short. AX-86U is a powerful beast, but does it really handle or have the right QOS for these speeds?

I recently experienced this issues after my ISP bumped my connection from 150mbps to 500mbps. Exit lag is like a VPN client, but not currently using it while in game when troubleshooting. Only it's diagnostic features.

It's kinda weird that it's displaying a lot of packet loss while using a router after the modem with this half gigabit speed :(

I felt like I exerted all efforts but still, came up short. AX-86U is a powerful beast, but does it really handle or have the right QOS for these speeds?
Cable or FIOS? If cable have you checked the firmware on the modem for an upgrade? Have you done a power cycle on the modem after the bandwidth upgrade? The ISP uses a bandwidth limiter that kicks in as the usage goes up. Entirely possible your issue is on their end.

Just to be clear, he was asking specifically about LAN port 1 as that is supposed to have a higher priority than the other LAN ports.
Oh... Well I'm only using one wired device and that's only my PC. all other clients are connected wirelessly to the router. Thanks!

Cable or FIOS? If cable have you checked the firmware on the modem for an upgrade? Have you done a power cycle on the modem after the bandwidth upgrade? The ISP uses a bandwidth limiter that kicks in as the usage goes up. Entirely possible your issue is on their end.
I have no idea what type of connection but my modem is a Gpon onu. After they bumped my speeds, they also replaced my 5 year old modem to a new one.

My download speeds are super fine. Hitting around 60-70MBps using IDM.

And for sure my 500mbps connection isn't fully saturated. It's just when a device[from the local network] requests for a huge chunk of data or there are packet burst request from the AX68U, Then there's the rubber banding and packet loss when gaming.

I have no issue whatsoever with other, where is browsing, downloading, streaming are fine.

Just the packet loss when gaming using the router with all the wireless devices connected to it simultaneously.

Oh... Well I'm only using one wired device and that's only my PC. all other clients are connected wirelessly to the router. Thanks!
OK let me correct my own statement. "A device connected to LAN port 1 (Gaming port) is supposed to have a higher priority than other devices on the LAN". Whether that's actually true is debatable, especially if you're using your own QoS priorities.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!