What's new

Huge Bufferbloat with ASUS RT-AX86U and installed the latest Merlin Firmware. 500mbps up/down connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some of the TM stuff gets enabled indirectly when setting things elsewhere, such as for guest network band limiter.

The way the Hard Reset FAQ reads, Restore w/Initialize is a hard reset(?).

OE
But I can't be wrong, it's like around 10 times I flashed my AX86U with stock firmware back and fort to merlin. I haven't looked at those options that I disabled recently.

And I agree, TM stuff shouldn't be initialized [turned on] when doing a hard reset. Almost 2 weeks of troubleshooting and the ISP even changed my modem lol.

But I can't be wrong, it's like around 10 times I flashed my AX86U with stock firmware back and fort to merlin. I haven't looked at those options that I disabled recently.

And I agree, TM stuff shouldn't be initialized [turned on] when doing a hard reset. Almost 2 weeks of troubleshooting and the ISP even changed my modem lol.

I only noted normal behavior. I try not to say users are wrong because they are often right for one peculiar reason or another.

OE

Adaptive QoS will work again soon, in case you need it. Read this:

Agree with @bbunge Kill the QOS. You don't need QOS, which was really designed to prioritize bandwidth amongst devices sharing a lower speed connection.

And for the record, most gaming is NOT very bandwidth intensive. As an example, the Sony PS5 only "requires" 3 Mbps. @Incubus32 if you have a 500 Mbps connection after an upgrade, I would first suggest to reboot your premise equipment such as a cable modem or ONU so your faster settings in a config file are downloaded from your ISP. If you are already realizing the 500 Mbps then you do not need to do this. From your description of a symmetrical connection, it sounds like you have fiber. Fiber has low latency so you should score an A on bufferbloat.

I will also say that QOS is an inherently STUPID function for faster connections because most ISPs over dimension your speeds to avoid subscriber complaints. As an example, my 600 Mbps connection is set to a bit over 700 Mbps by my ISP. If I were using QOS I would never know this. So turn off the QOS and unburden your router and your connection. This will probably fix your problem.
So your saying if a download is going on, and using all the 500Mbps, a stream or other tasks will magically work fine without qos? and low latency doesn't equal great bufferbloat

Last edited:
So your saying if a download is going on, and using all the 500Mbps, a stream or other tasks will magically work fine without qos? and low latency doesn't equal great bufferbloat
I think a lot of people indecisive about QoS would at least benefit from fq_codel as the default qdisc for wan and lan, instead of the awful default pfifo. It would at lease ensure that the sparse flows get priority over the bulk flows, even without bandwidth shaping.

I think a lot of people indecisive about QoS would at least benefit from fq_codel as the default qdisc for wan and lan, instead of the awful default pfifo. It would at lease ensure that the sparse flows get priority over the bulk flows, even without bandwidth shaping.
Dave we have spoke many times, I used to just have 25/2 and relied heavily on flex. I finally got starlink, but the bandwith ranges from 50 to 250.. Ive definitely noticed that downloads,etc can still totally overwhelm streaming without any type of qos. Ive been playing around, but seems almost useless when not being able to set the exact bandwidth. So far believe it or not, adaptive with auto bandwidth seems to be about the best until we get more sats in the sky.

If I recall, turning on any Trend Micro stuff will disable HW Acceleration. When that is off it can severely limit max WAN/LAN throughput and means all packets must be handled by the CPU. This would cause your bloat. With symmetrical speeds as high as yours you do not need any kind of QOS at all. Turn off all that stuff and anything having to do with TrendMicro. I have 1gb fiber and can easily hit and maintain 940mb/s up and down and have almost no buffer bloat.

If I recall, turning on any Trend Micro stuff will disable HW Acceleration. When that is off it can severely limit max WAN/LAN throughput and means all packets must be handled by the CPU. This would cause your bloat. With symmetrical speeds as high as yours you do not need any kind of QOS at all. Turn off all that stuff and anything having to do with TrendMicro. I have 1gb fiber and can easily hit and maintain 940mb/s up and down and have almost no buffer bloat.
trend micro does not turn off hw accel, cake does, traditional does.. nothing else

trend micro does not turn off hw accel, cake does, traditional does.. nothing else
Thank you for correcting that part. I stand by my statement that at the connection speeds he has there is no need for any qos.

Well obviously they wouldn't because you can only have one device connected to the modem. Therefore, by definition there can't be any other concurrent users.
you can only have one device connected to the modem? hrrmmm, my modem has 5 ethernet ports and wifi, and I would assume his asus router is still connected to the modem with all associated devices.

Last edited:
you can only have one device connected to the modem? hrrmmm, my modem has 5 ethernet ports and wifi,
While it is true that some modems support multiple WAN connections most do not. What you have sounds more like a wireless router, that perhaps also contains a modem. What model of modem do you have?

and I would assume his asus router is still connected to the modem with all associated devices.
It was fairly clear from his description that he was disconnecting the Asus router from the modem and plugging the PC into it instead. He confirms this in post #11.

Last edited:
Yey! :) :D
1646124024365.png

Did you try without any QOS? This is my test. No QOS of any kind.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 9.06.23 AM.png

Last edited:
Okay it's back again with the official 386.5 release.

All TM stuff is off and I am experience the same kind of internal packet loss.

Beta 2 seems to fixed this on my end but looks like TM stuff is still gathering data while it's turn off with the official 386.5

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!