What's new

I am spiraling... Wifi Adapter decision help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sean555

New Around Here
So I've been trying to decide on one for weeks. I ended up going with a powerline adapter to try and make my life easier but my laptops wifi speeds blow it away. So now I'm back to looking for a wifi adapter again. Quite frankly I'm just spiraling into online review shopping hell. It's like most reviews are mediocre, complaints about drivers, etc. I'm finding it extremely hard to figure out which card to get. All these best network adapter lists for gaming etc seem like they are full of a lot of old cards some of which have driver issues with win10.

Kinda narrowed it down to TP-Link T6E since older tech than the T4e but has better reviews sketchy drivers maybe. Rosewill RNX-AC1300PCE since it has the same chip as the Asus AC68 but a lot cheaper. Otherwise I don't know I just don't want to end up with a headache. I also find it crazy these USB adapters some have newer tech than the pci-e cards but people complain about them overheating.

Modem/Router I believe to be 3x3 AC1750
Gaming, watching/listening to stuff, at the same time.

Thank you!

What's chips are in your laptop? Since it works so well maybe buy the same chip set.

5GHz wireless on your laptop is going to be faster than a powerline adapter. It is just going to have limited range.

What's chips are in your laptop? Since it works so well maybe buy the same chip set.

5GHz wireless on your laptop is going to be faster than a powerline adapter. It is just going to have limited range.

I think it's a Realtek RTL88XX of some sort. I'll check when I get home. With wifi 6 on the way are all current wifi cards basically obsolete anyway? I'm guessing current cards won't be compatible. Is that why there are so many old cards still being sold, manufacturers are waiting for wifi 6 to become prevalent?

Are you looking for an internal card adapter or USB? What kind of laptop do you have?

Why are you looking to change?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!