What's new

Looking for new desktop WiFi card (PCI)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shishy

New Around Here
Hi all,

So my desktop doesn't have a wifi adapter because I've always used wired connection (for gaming/streaming/etc.). I am unfortunately moving to a new place where I will not be able to use wired due to the location of the router (there's no in-the-wall ethernet ports and I can't run a cable to the router).

I'm looking for a good, reliable WiFI adapter that will work with my setup. I know that I will probably have some issues with it (relative to a wired connection), but I'm hoping to minimize that.

My PC right now is as follows:

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard
Corsair RM750i PSU
MSI 7870 GPU
Intel i5 3570K CPU
ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card

I was looking at these two WiFi cards:

ASUS AC68
TP-Link T9e

I use Windows 10 64-bit so ideally there won't be any issues with that either... I'm assuming that won't be a problem now but I did read people in the past have had issues with the ASUS card on Win10. Is this still an unresolved issue?

And for reference, the place I'm going to has Verizon Fios and has the standard Verizon router.

Thanks!

I was looking at these two WiFi cards:

ASUS AC68
TP-Link T9e

For the cost of those - you might also consider a homeplug AV1200 (or G.Hn) kit - and it'll be a more reliable connection...

For the cost of those - you might also consider a homeplug AV1200 (or G.Hn) kit - and it'll be a more reliable connection...

For that to be as reliable, wouldn't my router and adapter have to be on the same electric circuit?

I'm gonna be on the second floor and the router is in a closet on the first floor.

For that to be as reliable, wouldn't my router and adapter have to be on the same electric circuit?

I'm gonna be on the second floor and the router is in a closet on the first floor.

As long as you're on the same main panel - e.g. behind the meter, it'll work - best to be on the same circuit with some vendors, but the AV1000/AV1200 that do HomePlugAV2 - they do pretty well...

The normal caveats apply - range will affect performance, don't plug them into power strips, but directly into the wall, and performance can be impacted by noisy sources like cellphone chargers, heavy appliances, etc...

If you order from a Retailer that has a good return policy (Amazon is pretty frictionless there), you could try both WiFi and HomePlugAV - and return the solution that is least effective...

I've had excellent results with this TP-Link card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/?tag=snbforums-20

I've got 2 of them running in a Win10 desktop (home brew) and a Win7 HTPC (HP SFF). Stable, fast, and reliable.

The main reason I considered the ASUS card was because I the antennae doesn't just stick out from the back of the card -- I can put the thingy on my desk so that my case doesn't block the signal.

Is that not an issue that you have with the TP-link card you posted? If price wasn't an issue, should I still get this one or the T9e? From what I see, the TP-link cards have the antennae just sticking out of the back right? Is there a way to extend that or something without compromising the signal?

EDIT:

Lol, looked on the ASUS site for the AC68 and they removed Win10 64 bit from their supported OS list.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC68/specifications/

Guess that's out of the running; so should I get the T9e or what mgeoffriau posted? (i.e. do I need AC1900 or is the N900 fine?)

Last edited:
You can also use a wireless bridge, wireless extender or router configured as bridge. These connect via Ethernet and provide much more placement flexibility and you'll have many more products to choose from.

The main reason I considered the ASUS card was because I the antennae doesn't just stick out from the back of the card -- I can put the thingy on my desk so that my case doesn't block the signal.

Is that not an issue that you have with the TP-link card you posted? If price wasn't an issue, should I still get this one or the T9e? From what I see, the TP-link cards have the antennae just sticking out of the back right? Is there a way to extend that or something without compromising the signal?

The TP-Link card I linked to does not include any remote antennas, but I'm sure you could rig something up. But keep in mind that any length of cable will cause a certain amount of signal drop. One of my computers is "sideways" to the router, but the other one faces the router, from 3 rooms away (meaning the back of the computer is pointing away from the router), and it gets a great signal as well.

Note that TP-Link has uprated cards for the various WiFi levels. I can't speak to them personally, having not used them, but if AC1900 is important to you, you could check those out.

You can also use a wireless bridge, wireless extender or router configured as bridge. These connect via Ethernet and provide much more placement flexibility and you'll have many more products to choose from.

Oh, a wireless bridge would actually be a cool idea. Do you have any recommendations for one I should purchase?

Also the standard verizon router should let me configure a wireless bridge right? i.e. the bridge I buy should be able to connect to it?

How does the signal strength/reliability compare with the bridge vs. a PCI-e adapter?

Dedicated wireless bridges will work with any router and don't require WDS.
Some routers will support only WDS bridging. But many today support universal bridging.

I have no specific recommendation.

In general, you should be able to get better performance using an Ethernet connected bridge because antenna placement is more flexible and won't be stuck behind a computer. Putting antennas on cables isn't optimum due to signal strength loss in the cables.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!