What's new

Help maximizing my wired setup for gaming and streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riekopo

Regular Contributor
I would like to ask the expert-amateurs on here for their help in configuring my network setup for maximizing gaming and video streaming performance. My network stopped working and I couldn't fix it no matter what I did. I had an Asus N66U wireless router from years ago. When I replaced it, the network started working again so I guess it was a hardware failure after years of constant use. My connection would randomly die at least once a week. It must have been the router.

I replaced it with an Asus RT-AC1750 from Best Buy because I didn't have the luxury of time to browse. I'm using a Zyxel PLA5456 AV2 AV2000 powerline Ethernet adapter kit which was two Ethernet ports on it. My Xbox One X and my gaming PC are both directly connected to the powerline adapter in my room. I'm using Cable Matters SSTP/SFTP Cat6a cables.

My ISP is Armstrong Cable in western Pennsylvania. I'm using an Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem I think. My motherboard is an Asus Crosshair VI Extreme.

This website seems to recommend one of the Netgear routers as the #1. The Netgear R7800 Nighthawk X4S which is actually not the highest end offering they have. I've seen the software interface for Netgear and it's truly outdated looking. It looks like a huge downgrade from the Asus router interface I'm used to. Either Asus or Linksys seems to have the best interface in my opinion. Though I've never owned a Linksys router before.

I don't have the best understanding of networking terminology so I have trouble understanding the reviews here. But he seems to be saying that the Nighthawk R7800 is the only router with a functioning MU-MIMO setup.

Since I'm using Ethernet cables for my gaming devices would it be logical to get the router with the best wired performance? The Nighthawk doesn't seem to perform strong in that regard if I'm understanding the results here. My LG OLED TV is also directly connected to the router via Cat6a cable and I stream a lot of Amazon video and Netflix on it in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision. I only really use Wi-Fi for my tablet and phone to be honest.

One thing which is making things harder for me is the fact that different websites contradict the reviews on this website. PCGamer for example doesn't agree with the results here. And they seem to do gaming specific tests that aren't done here. I'm concerned about latency and ping and packet loss. I'm really at a loss here. I don't know what to think or what to get.

The Linksys WRT (black and blue and stackable) series looks interesting to me. I remember that lineup from years ago. It seems that Linksys brought it back, but is it any good?

If you like Asus go for the 86U its 5Ghz performance is close to the R7800 plus it has good VPN performance too. It should handle your load just fine I mean I have 20 or so devices on my R7800 sometimes with 3 people streaming and one gaming and 3 security cameras recording on movement, never had an issue. The 86U should be no different.

No need to get routers like The Asus GT5300 (same WiFi chipset as 86U) or Netgear R9000 (same WiFi chipset as R7800), I doubt you’d see much of an improvement. The R7800 actually edges out the R9000 in Wifi performance.

Last edited:
If you are using powerline to connect to your gaming system to your network and are dissatisfied with your performance, I would start with that connection instead of upgrading your router. Powerline can be kind of iffy. Is there any way to run Ethernet between the Xbox and the router. Is there a coax drop in your room (for MoCA)?

If you're wired up for your gaming clients...

Here's a quick hint - consumer Router/AP vs. pfSense - from the router to the modem, and look at the chart...

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 5.32.21 PM.png

It's not just that latency was cut in half, but look at the jitter... which is likely important for a gamer, consistency counts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!