What's new

I cannot find any differences between the TUF-AX5400 and GS-AX5400. Am I missing something?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Masonboro

Occasional Visitor
SIP passthrough and samba server on the TUF are the only differences I can find. The most expensive ASUS routers have these features and so I do not want to miss out if I need them in the future. Why would the GS-AX5400 leave these features out? The GS-AX5400 is also absent from the @asuswrt-Merlin support page but the TUF-AX5400 is supported with a fork. I would appreciate any answers to my questions. EDIT: I feel dumb as I meant to say RADIUS Server NOT samba... apologies.

Last edited:
SIP passthrough and samba server on the TUF are the only differences I can find.
Both devices have Samba listed in their specs. I would imagine the absence of SIP being explicitly mentioned in the GS-AX5400 specs is just a mistake. Both these things are standard features that all Asus routers have had for years.

Two different models built around the same hardware, but with differences in software. I expect both have USB attached storage with Samba option as well as SIP passthrough. Only TUF model has Asuswrt-Merlin fork available, GS model - stock Asuswrt only. Asus likes to stretch the marketing and release multiple routers with the same hardware. All models RT-AX58U, RT-AX3000, RT-AX82U, TUF-AX3000, TUF-AX5400, GS-AX3000, GS-AX5400 are the same hardware router with different case design, RGB lights, different marketing and price. AX3000 class routers have locked radio features in software.

Thank you for your reply.The ASUS website is a mess. When I compare the 2 routers the website will not show all the specs of the GS-AX5400 just yes yes yes no etc. Also, I just watched a 6 month old official ASUS video on YT and the guy said the AX1800S had a USB port and had a quad core processor which is obviously false. He then showed the official ASUS 1800S webpage that did indeed show those specs. The webpage has since been corrected, but you can see why I am asking these questions as I don't trust ASUS's spec listings.

Where did you find the
Both devices have Samba listed in their specs. I would imagine the absence of SIP being explicitly mentioned in the GS-AX5400 specs is just a mistake. Both these things are standard features that all Asus routers have had for years.
Would you paste a link for me? I am almost 100% positive that the listing showed no samba server for the GS.

Where did you find the

Would you paste a link for me? I am almost 100% positive that the listing showed no samba server for the GS.

USB application​

File System : HFS+, NTFS, vFAT, ext2, ext3, ext4
HDD hibernation : Yes
Safely Remove disk : Yes
AiCloud : Yes
Download master : Yes
AiDisk : Yes
Media Server : Yes
Time Machine : Yes
Samba Server : Yes
FTP Server : Yes
Shared Folder privileges : Yes

Would you paste a link for me? I am almost 100% positive that the listing showed "no" for samba server on the GS.

Damn, I feel stupid.. I meant a RADIUS Server. Thank you! I have clicked and clicked and that webpage has never shown up for me. The webpage tried to get me to "switch the website of your location" and that page is the one I have been seeing all along with no spec sheet.

Last edited:
Let me ask this...If either of you had to pick between the two which would you choose? I could just get the AX-55 since it's just me and 900sqft, but I want to dip my toes into network security and the AX-55 is just to barebones for that. Then again I might just get the AX-55 and wait until WiFi 7 or until 6e comes down in price...idk. Now I need to know if a RADIUS Server is relevant to my future needs and why is it missing from the GS-AX5400. I am a calm person, but this decision is intense :/

Last edited:
Let me ask this...

You already asked the same questions in another thread. If you want to play with custom scripts, you need Asuswrt-Merlin supported router. For your few devices and 100Mbps ISP line - any Asuswrt-Merlin supported router starting from RT-AC66U B1 for about $100.

Now I need to know if a RADIUS Server is relevant to my future needs

Unlikely.

Last edited:
The questions are similar but different. Just making sure I do not overlook anything when researching products, but I get your point and your suggestions have been very helpful. ASUS's NA website is a mess when comparing 2 products side by side(light blue background) and that is what led me here. The page that @colin Taylor linked me to was crystal clear but ASUS will never direct me there. Anyway, I will figure it out.

Neither. The TUF-AX5400 looks too stupid for my tastes and the GS-AX5400 doesn't support custom firmware.
That could have easily been my answer, but they seem to be the best Asus AX routers I can get for $100-200.Wishing I could find out if the GS will be supported in the future as I can get one new for cheap(ish).

I do not have service yet, but it will be spectrum@100Mbps. Btw, Amazon is a authorized retailer for ASUS right? I cannot order directly from ASUS as my CC was rejected. I think it is because my billing address (ID) and my new address are now different.

Last edited:
I don't know why you are rushing to spend money on a router. The home gateway provided by Spectrum is good enough for your needs. It will be enough to cover your place with Wi-Fi with few times higher than your ISP line speeds. In terms of Internet experience you'll get nothing in return of your investment. In terms of security - Asus provides questionable 3rd party security from TrendMicro in exchange of your usage data. What you can do more with Asuswrt-Merlin supported router is play with the available user scripts. In a month or two you'll lose interest. There is no much network security to learn on a consumer router. You just got the itch to buy something, I believe.

I do not have service yet, but it will be spectrum@100Mbps. Btw, Amazon is a authorized retailer for ASUS right? I cannot order directly from ASUS as my CC was rejected. I think it is because my billing address (ID) and my new address are now different.

I don't know why you are rushing to spend money on a router. The home gateway provided by Spectrum is good enough for your needs. It will be enough to cover your place with Wi-Fi with few times higher than your ISP line speeds. In terms of Internet experience you'll get nothing in return of your investment. In terms of security - Asus provides questionable 3rd party security from TrendMicro in exchange of your usage data. What you can do more with Asuswrt-Merlin supported router is play with the available user scripts. In a month or two you'll lose interest. There is no much network security to learn on a consumer router. You just got the itch to buy something, I believe.
No itch as I need a router and was thinking I could learn some basics about networking with a good one. If I am wrong then my questions have paid off. It will just be cheaper and less of a hassle if I just learn networking basics from YT. Thanks

was thinking I could learn some basics about networking with a good one

From the cheap RT-AC66U B1 up to high-end GT-AXE11000 the GUI options are about the same, including in Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. The more expensive routers have faster CPU, more RAM, more and better radios, some have more and faster ports, etc. The networking basics are all the same.

If experiments and learning is the main goal, I would find an original used RT-AC68U router - the one from 2013. This hardware can run Asuswrt, Asuswrt-Merlin, John's Fork, OpenWRT, DD-WRT, Tomato by Shibby, AdvancedTomato, FreshTomato. It is still actively supported by Asus on top.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!