What's new

I need some advise and help figure out which to pick or order.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could you get a US model and bypass the limitations? 🤔 Just speculating now since as per my last post here in the thread I explained I already purchased a EU model AX88U pro.
Technically yes, but it could also land you with a huge fine or in jail if you use the frequencies that aren't allowed.

Thanks again, I did actually now google a lot and search here on forum and found out that the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 seem to share a lot of components (all?). And the AX88U Pro being newer and smaller, were sellign points for me and my wife. So I hope it covers as good as the GT-AX6000.
No, not all, they have different switching ICs and some other minor components that differ that makes the firmwares incompatible.
However, they are quite comparable in terms of how they perform.

That may be so, but the absolute range of '5GHz' to '6GHz' WiFi doesn't drop like a rock just because we designate it as '6GHz'.

If the EU is bent on destroying consumer experience, that isn't the fault of the standard. Maybe soon, all these arbitrary limitations will be just a distant nightmare, worldwide.
But it does when the EU only allow low power or very low power devices, whereas the US allow for much higher transmit power.

I'd like to augment my prior post with the personal opinion that if the GT had antennas as svelte as those of the RT, the GT would be the much better-looking of the two. As it is, one looks like some kind of space alien and the other looks likes like some kind of space ship (or possibly a "transformer").

I'd like to augment my prior post with the personal opinion that if the GT had antennas as svelte as those of the RT, the GT would be the much better-looking of the two. As it is, one looks like some kind of space alien and the other looks likes like some kind of space ship (or possibly a "transformer").
Yes that was one main thing that made me swap to AX88U Pro. I hope it will get shipped soon ⌛😁

Thanks again, I did actually now google a lot and search here on forum and found out that the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 seem to share a lot of components (all?). And the AX88U Pro being newer and smaller, were sellign points for me and my wife. So I hope it covers as good as the GT-AX6000.

Specs and components do not a router make.

The RT-AX88U Pro is a categorically superior purchase today. Better performance, is more likely to be supported longer, and in most cases, is the same price or cheaper than the 'gamey' GT model.

The GT-AX6000 was a good router for its time (after the initial hiccups), and I'm running one today. But the RT-AX88U Pro is simply the better bang-for-the-buck buy today. Hands down.

But it does when the EU only allow low power or very low power devices, whereas the US allow for much higher transmit power.

Yes, hence my second sentence/paragraph.

The RT-AX88U Pro is a categorically superior purchase today. Better performance, is more likely to be supported longer, and in most cases, is the same price or cheaper than the 'gamey' GT model.
Except the GT model is generally around $100 cheaper in Sweden than the RT model, often even more than that.
The GT-AX6000 was a good router for its time (after the initial hiccups), and I'm running one today. But the RT-AX88U Pro is simply the better bang-for-the-buck buy today. Hands down.
In what way? Also, the RT model has half the flash, so if Asus keeps growing their firmware size, the GT would be the one to have, assuming they keep supporting it.

My AC86U covers my flat pretty well as it is.

In this case you need only one router and I believe you'll like better the compact size RT-AX86U Pro, similar to your RT-AC86U. The second 2.5GbE port you perhaps don't need with your 500/500 ISP is coming with much larger footprint device. Single router works better than AiMesh.

and by law in Sweden

Obviously @TheLostSwede is your source of information. Read through the rest, but do what he says. When you bring the router home and your wife sees it - do what she says. Perhaps GT model version with RGB lights is going straight back before you even plug it in, in original packaging. 🥳

Last edited:
$100 cheaper isn't an incentive to buy an inferior model to me.

In the following ways:

And why would Asus 'keep growing their firmware size'? They know the hardware they build and adjust their current and future firmware to that.

And, when the hardware/firmware was still too unstable for me to use:

Yes that was one main thing that made me swap to AX88U Pro. I hope it will get shipped soon ⌛😁
In fact, the GT-AX6000 looks pretty good (without antennas), but the antennas are very shoddy (maybe it would be better if they at least had colorful lights).
The ROG GUI also looks ugly to me.
Except the GT model is generally around $100 cheaper in Sweden than the RT model, often even more than that.
Nothing (except the design) justifies the higher price, just as nothing indicates which model will have longer support (only Asus knows this).
Also, the RT model has half the flash, so if Asus keeps growing their firmware size, the GT would be the one to have, assuming they keep supporting it.
GT-AX6000 and RT-AX88U Pro have the same WiFi, CPU, memory (256 MB Flash, 1 GB RAM), SDK and WiFi drivers (WiFi SoC) but different switch controllers etc.

Last edited:
No, they don't. And if they did, they would be running the same firmware.

There are differences, obvious just by using them side by side. (The RT-AX88U Pro is superior).

Technically yes, but it could also land you with a huge fine or in jail if you use the frequencies that aren't allowed.

Worst case I suppose - likely it would be confiscated if the incumbent spectrum owner complains.

It's never good to import out of region devices, as this can also cause problems with other devices on the personal WLAN...

In this case you need only one router and I believe you'll like better the compact size RT-AX86U Pro, similar to your RT-AC86U. The second 2.5GbE port you perhaps don't need with your 500/500 ISP is coming with much larger footprint device. Single router works better than AiMesh.

Obviously @TheLostSwede is your source of information. Read through the rest, but do what he says. When you bring the router home and your wife sees it - do what she says. Perhaps GT model version with RGB lights is going straight back before you even plug it in, in original packaging. 🥳
Yep, exact same reasoning. And I also cancelled the GT model in favor for the AX88U Pro, which I just installed. It is quite large, but a huge plug is that it can be mounted to a wall. So that is what's happening this weekend!

Thanks for all replies, this AX88U Pro is a keeper! But it is fairly large but can be mounted to wall!
FYI if you are reading this and contemplating AX86U Pro vs AX88U Pro.

but a huge plug is that it can be mounted to a wall

We have discussed this already.

The best Asus router for wall or ceiling mounting is a different model though - it's RT-AX89X. 🤭

GT-AX6000 would look pretty cool ceiling-mounted. Even better the Eva edition with its lit antennas! Hahaha!
Thanks for all replies, this AX88U Pro is a keeper! But it is fairly large but can be mounted to wall!
Dong Knows (some) early-on said the mount-looking hole plugs weren't filling actually-usable mount holes. Has that since changed?

When I obtained my GT there were some RT boxes nearby. They (the boxes) were substantially smaller, yet when deployed the units command more space. Crazy.

Anyway, congratulations.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!