What's new

I need some advise and help figure out which to pick or order.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vinyl

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys

My HOA has purchased a collective bargain fiber, it is 500/500 but upgradeable for a reasonable amount.
Our kid(s) soon to be more they use devices already and I ain't getting fewer my self. Same goes for missus.

The provided Technicolor or some new tag plastic box went haywire after a few months with the WiFi speeds enough to saw of knee kaps. That brutal.

So. I have an AC86U that I unbricked and plugged in. It works ok.
But I want to future proof, and I have a reasonable(?) budget for this. You might laugh, but say around 250-350euros is what I feel comfortable to spend.

I have already purchsed an Asus AX86U Pro and an Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 that are on their way. However, while I have been looking at their specs, I have come to think of tri band routers.
Should I start adding tri band router into my calculations?
I saw a toms review for a Asus tri band router, that they did not like so very much compared to other brand. So it got me thinking.
Should I abandon Asus? 😨 And look for another brand? I heard Synology RT6600ax is a good router with Tri Band. https://www.synology.com/sv-se/products/RT6600ax

Are there more contenders that I should look up, or should I be happy with the AX6000 and call it a day?
If you point me to any direction here, either hardware or discussions regarding dual vs tri band, or have the time to lecture me. I'd be most grateful!

Thanks and have a great one!

You should be happy with what you got, no reason to go tri-band really, the 6 GHz band has pretty short range and doesn't penetrate more than one wall at best. There are obviously routers with two 5 GHz bands, but the only reason to get something like that is to split up devices between the bands, it's not really going to get you better performance.
I've just moved to a new place with gigabit internet access and have the GT-AX6000 and it's plenty good enough.

Thanks for your quick reply, landsman! I feel more assured with the AX6000 and I just hope it is not as huge and as much of an abomination that I have read online! 😁

Should I abandon Asus?
No, this place is the spiritual home of everything Asus, you would upset the gods. Have you experimented with Merlin yet?

Thanks for your quick reply, landsman! I feel more assured with the AX6000 and I just hope it is not as huge and as much of an abomination that I have read online! 😁
It is a huge abomination... But it also appears to have really good coverage. We only live in a 92 square meter flat, but I have no problem covering all of it with the 5 GHz radio and don't drop below 500 Mbps anywhere in the flat.

@vinyl, the GT-AX6000 is an excellent router (regardless of its dimensions). The RT-AX86U Pro, not so much. As it is a hardware crippled version that isn't worth the cost.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the current top pick for performance, reliability, RMerlin support, and expected longevity (as it is the most current model, today).

Depending on your local prices, and what sales you can act upon, I would return the two routers you have chosen today and get 2x RT-AX88U Pro instead. If you want to 'future proof', as much as is possible, today.

I also agree about not getting a WiFi 6E Tri-Radio router (none are Tri-band), particularly if you can utilize a wired backhaul between them.

But the comment about the 6GHz band being so severely range-limited is an exaggeration. Considering that the 5GHz band kisses it. Just FYI.

No, I can't. Because it isn't silly or uneducated.

I speak in fact. Search my posts if you want to correct your erroneous conclusions.

I speak in fact.

Yes your conclusion of facts. That has nothing to do with reality. The AX86U Pro or even the standard AX86U are excellent routers. You make a ton of blanket statements here on this forum with NOTHING but your opinion to back them up. You need to RELAX.

That's your opinion. As uninformed as it is.

but say around 250-350euros

You are obviously in Europe and your routers will come restricted to EU regulations. Your only available non-DFS range will be up to 200mW. Don't take advice from people in other regions. Some have up to 1000mW and upper 5GHz non-DFS range available. Your routers won't have that even the same exact model numbers.

If you want AiMesh - better go with the same model routers and wired. I don't know why you have purchased different ones already. It's like looking for advice after the fact. If you want better stability - go with SMB gear and wired, multiple access points on low power. Some Omada and UniFi setups come close to home routers cost.

I run three home networks, soon to become four in a new property. Two in North America and two in Europe. None run on Asus hardware and Wi-Fi planning in different regions is also different. You are looking for advice in a forum with most members outside of your region. Making a mistake without knowing specifics is easy.

Should I abandon Asus?

Ask this question again in a year time. Currently the routers you have purchased run on different base firmware with different features. How well they are going to play together and in your specific environment - you tell us. You may want to stay with Asus or abandon Asus depending on the experience and the level of your expectations.

Last edited:
@vinyl, the GT-AX6000 is an excellent router (regardless of its dimensions). The RT-AX86U Pro, not so much. As it is a hardware crippled version that isn't worth the cost.

The RT-AX88U Pro is the current top pick for performance, reliability, RMerlin support, and expected longevity (as it is the most current model, today).

Depending on your local prices, and what sales you can act upon, I would return the two routers you have chosen today and get 2x RT-AX88U Pro instead. If you want to 'future proof', as much as is possible, today.

I also agree about not getting a WiFi 6E Tri-Radio router (none are Tri-band), particularly if you can utilize a wired backhaul between them.

But the comment about the 6GHz band being so severely range-limited is an exaggeration. Considering that the 5GHz band kisses it. Just FYI.
Big difference between the US and the EU when it comes to the 6 GHz band. It's mostly useless in the EU for consumers.

Big difference between the US and the EU when it comes to the 6 GHz band.

This is correct, but many people don't know. In the US 6GHz band channels are up to 36dBm. In the EU - limited to 30dBm. In the US upper 5GHz band channels are available. In the EU they are not. Available non-DFS range in the EU is 1GHz lower frequency than lower 6GHz channels. In the EU even 5GHz may not pass through single wall. This is why I always say Wi-Fi planning is very different in different regions, but folks around want to learn from own mistakes.

Big difference between the US and the EU when it comes to the 6 GHz band. It's mostly useless in the EU for consumers.

That may be so, but the absolute range of '5GHz' to '6GHz' WiFi doesn't drop like a rock just because we designate it as '6GHz'.

If the EU is bent on destroying consumer experience, that isn't the fault of the standard. Maybe soon, all these arbitrary limitations will be just a distant nightmare, worldwide.

Should I abandon Asus? 😨 And look for another brand? I heard Synology RT6600ax is a good router with Tri Band. https://www.synology.com/sv-se/products/RT6600ax

the RT-6600ax is a decent device, and since you're in Europe, you're not missing out much on the 6GHz side due to regulatory constraints over there...

Just note that with the RT6600ax, not all radios are equal - the 2.4GHz and lower channel 5GHz radios are two-stream, only the upper band 5GHz radio is 4-stream.

• IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax
  • 5GHz-1: 4800Mbps < -- see note below
  • 5GHz-2: 1200Mbps
  • 2.4GHz: 600Mbps
  • 4x4 160MHz
  • Simultaneous tri-band Wi-Fi
Note that only the upper band 5GHz radio supports 160MHz channels, which is a bit useless for clients as most do not support the UNII3 extended band...

That being said, it's a capable router/AP and can handle a 500Mbit symmetric connection...

If the EU is bent on destroying consumer experience, that isn't the fault of the standard. Maybe soon, all these arbitrary limitations will be just a distant nightmare, worldwide.

I wouldn't say they're trying to destroy the "consumer experience" - over in the EU, there are incumbent users in the 6GHz band, so they're having to manage that aspect...

Recall when opening up the UNII-2 DFS channels down in 5 GHz - it took forever for everything to line up between regulatory bodies around the world...

Thank you , I just chatted with the company I purchased the AX6000 from, and I swapped to a AX88U Pro. I saw a lot of comments here on forum talking about the slow release cadence of FW updates as well as it is much older device.
I got my AC86U quite "late" so I only had the updates for so long time. I did the same with my phone which is also EOL in support now.
I figured the price difference should not be the highest trumfing card this time. My wife also had some worrying questions when I explained the sheer mass of the AX6000.
I think we will be much happier with the AX88U in the end 😅

This is correct, but many people don't know. In the US 6GHz band channels are up to 36dBm. In the EU - limited to 30dBm. In the US upper 5GHz band channels are available. In the EU they are not. Available non-DFS range in the EU is 1GHz lower frequency than lower 6GHz channels. In the EU even 5GHz may not pass through single wall. This is why I always say Wi-Fi planning is very different in different regions, but folks around want to learn from own mistakes.
Could you get a US model and bypass the limitations? 🤔 Just speculating now since as per my last post here in the thread I explained I already purchased a EU model AX88U pro.

You are obviously in Europe and your routers will come restricted to EU regulations. Your only available non-DFS range will be up to 200mW. Don't take advice from people in other regions. Some have up to 1000mW and upper 5GHz non-DFS range available. Your routers won't have that even the same exact model numbers.

If you want AiMesh - better go with the same model routers and wired. I don't know why you have purchased different ones already. It's like looking for advice after the fact. If you want better stability - go with SMB gear and wired, multiple access points on low power. Some Omada and UniFi setups come close to home routers cost.

I run three home networks, soon to become four in a new property. Two in North America and two in Europe. None run on Asus hardware and Wi-Fi planning in different regions is also different. You are looking for advice in a forum with most members outside of your region. Making a mistake without knowing specifics is easy.

Ask this question again in a year time. Currently the routers you have purchased run on different base firmware with different features. How well they are going to play together and in your specific environment - you tell us. You may want to stay with Asus or abandon Asus depending on the experience and the level of your expectations.
I purchased both to test and see the size of the AX6000. If it would be too large, I would return it. The company I purchased from have 90 days free returns and by law in Sweden we can test and return items purchased online after testing for 14 days. So the reason I got two was to secure the deals that were given at the weekend for both routers. Then, read up about these routers (and ask here). And third, to spectate with my own eyes and perhaps even try them out ( I probably would not, since I already made up my mind).

So in the end I would only keep one. That is enough. My AC86U covers my flat pretty well as it is. But I will keep in mind to use same model in mesh, if I should need upgrade in the future with AiMesh, but it's not likely in the next few years. And by then I might have to upgrade the router again 😂

Last edited:
It is a huge abomination... But it also appears to have really good coverage. We only live in a 92 square meter flat, but I have no problem covering all of it with the 5 GHz radio and don't drop below 500 Mbps anywhere in the flat.
Thanks again, I did actually now google a lot and search here on forum and found out that the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 seem to share a lot of components (all?). And the AX88U Pro being newer and smaller, were sellign points for me and my wife. So I hope it covers as good as the GT-AX6000.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!