What's new

I'm an idiot and need help with putty.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jmcclure85

New Around Here
I have an rt86u that i have the latest merlin loaded. i can putty into it so ive gotten that far.
what i am trying to do is spoof the ttl number.

Here is my code that i need to enter

nano /jffs/scripts/nat-start
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*

This was given to me and ive seen it work on another router.

Once in putty and im at the terminal how do i enter this? All at once or line by line.

i was also told to check these two boxes. i assume i check them then do the putty commands then reboot the router?
Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs
Format JFFS partition at next boot

Sorry im new to this and hope i posted in the right place. Thanks

I have an rt86u that i have the latest merlin loaded. i can putty into it so ive gotten that far.
what i am trying to do is spoof the ttl number.

Here is my code that i need to enter

nano /jffs/scripts/nat-start
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/*

This was given to me and ive seen it work on another router.

Once in putty and im at the terminal how do i enter this? All at once or line by line.

i was also told to check these two boxes. i assume i check them then do the putty commands then reboot the router?

Sorry im new to this and hope i posted in the right place. Thanks
nano is a simple text editor. The first line invokes nano on the file /jffs/scripts/nat-start. The next 5 lines you type into the nano editor. Then control-x, y, and hit return. This will write out your five lines into the file /jffs/scripts/nat-start. The chmod line allows your new file to be run.

I have no idea about whether this is a reasonable file to create, or how to run it. I'm just saying this is how to translate that text into creating the file.

After. Control-x tells nano to save the file; the Y says yes you really want to, the return says to use the suggested filename. You'll see all the prompts from nano. Then you're back at the bash prompt, where you type the chmod command.

@Jmcclure85

May I ask why you're trying to do this?

The instructions you posted are old and incorrect. The script must be called firewall-start not nat-start and the sleep 10 statement is unnecessary.

There's a TTL spoof option on the WAN page.

@Jmcclure85

May I ask why you're trying to do this?

The instructions you posted are old and incorrect. The script must be called firewall-start not nat-start and the sleep 10 statement is unnecessary.
ok ill try this

Trying to use my tablet data in my RV hotspot so i can remotely see it, control heaters and tank heaters during the winter while im away. I was told to spoof the TTL to 65.

Last edited:
Still not having any luck, not sure when to check the two boxes. Do i check them reboot then run the putty command or. do i check them run putty command then reboot.
thanks for the help guys

Still not having any luck, not sure when to check the two boxes. Do i check them reboot then run the putty command or. do i check them run putty command then reboot.
thanks for the help guys

Don’t format the partition at all. It would erase the script you’re trying to create. Add your script, enable jffs custom scripts, then reboot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!