What's new

In asus rt-ac68u router under VPN Client - VPN Server List missing OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, I see the OpenVPN tab and the PPTP /L2TP but in the screen shot I'm sending missing the OpenVPN then when i click on Add profile under VPN Server List. I only see the screen shot I sent you. There are only server listing for PPTP /L2TP. I need OpenVPN Server Listing. Please see attachment.

Attachments

• Openvpn.png
    Openvpn.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 47
Yes, I see the OpenVPN tab and the PPTP /L2TP but in the screen shot i'm sending missing the OpenVPN then when i click on Add profile under VPN Server List. I only see the screen sshot i sent you. There are only server llisting for PPTP /L2TP. I need OpenVPN Server Listing.
That is the VPN client page not the VPN server page. Which do you want client or server?

You need to click on the OpenVPN button at the top right.

Openvpn.png

Last edited:
Yes, I see the OpenVPN tab and the PPTP /L2TP but in the screen shot i'm sending missing the OpenVPN then when i click on Add profile under VPN Server List. I only see the screen sshot i sent you. There are only server llisting for PPTP /L2TP. I need OpenVPN Server Listing.
Click on OpenVPN, NOT on PPTP/L2TP... That's the big "OpenVPN" button I just highlighted for you.

I'm sorry for the confusion Colin. I will try to explain it better before I had a VPN ipvanish and I had a for example

ipvanish-CA-Toronto-tor-a20.ovpn

I would enter that server from above ipvanish into the OpenVPN along with the description, VPN Server, Ipvanish username and password but I don't see the option for OpenVPN only PPTP and L2TP. When I click on the OpenVPN tab as you suggested on the screen shot there are no VPN Server Listing to add profile for OpenVPN.

You asked me what I want.

Which do you want client or server?

Not sure how to answer that hopefully my explanation explains what I'm trying to do. I'm sending 2 attachments. They are screen shots of OpenVPN Client Setting.

The 1st screen shot is the Top of the OpenVPN and the 2nd screen shot is the bottom OpenVPN Client Setting. I don't see the option to enter what I described above. I believe i cold add 5 different servers from ipvanish.

examples
1. ipvanish-CA-Toronto-tor-a20.ovpn
2. ipvanish-US-Atlanta-atl-a49.ovpn
3. ipvanish-US-Boston-bos-a03.ovpn
4. ipvanish-US-New-York-nyc-a14.ovpn
5. ipvanish-US-Charlotte-clt-c11.ovpn

Attachments

• OpenVPN Client Setting TOP.png
    OpenVPN Client Setting TOP.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
  • OpenVPN Client Setting BOTTOM .png
    OpenVPN Client Setting BOTTOM .png
    126.9 KB · Views: 22
When I click on the OpenVPN tab as you suggested on the screen shot there are no VPN Server Listing to add profile for OpenVPN.
You don't add profiles in Merlin the same way you do in stock Asus firmware.

Click on the "Choose File" button the select your .ovpn file. Then click on the "Upload" button. You can now add your username and password.

OpenVPN Client Setting TOP.png

In Merlin's 386.11 firmware you can only have two VPN clients configured.

Exactly. So tell people that this is your recommendation and not Asus' or anyone else's.

And if it wasn't clear enough in the past it now explicitly says it in bold on that page:

When I post, of course, that is my recommendation. I don't assume when anyone else posts it is authoritative and/or from a third party.

Again, they changed that page. Probably more than once. That is the problem with websites. The changes can be shown as the original (as the waybackmachine so succinctly shows.

Ok what I was following was the stock firmware. I got it now. Colin can you post a youtube link on how to do it with merlin?
Thank for your patience and help.

I had Asuswrt-Merlin in my Asus RT-AC68U router however had to flash to ASUS stock firmware. Now I'm trying to connect my VPN Ip vanish to the router. I was able to flash the Asuswrt-Merlin Ver. 386.11 but when I go to. VPN tab then VPN Client then OpenVPN or VPN-VPN Client then I click on Add profile.

They have only 2 options. PPTP or L2TP.

OpenVPN Is missing? What I'm I am doing wrong?

Thank you
having the same issues here

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!