What's new

In need of a new router - but lost between models/tech/price

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trip, damn it, I want auto channel with variable channel width based on load and it should adjust dynamically. That sounds really neat.

Did you look at Netgear R7800? Wireless AC Wave 2, excellent hardware, very stable software, DFS channels support, one of the best WiFi throughput and coverage in AIO category
Also an excellent option. If any AIO has the chance to pull it off, the R7800 might be it. OpenWRT is also reported to run rock-solidly on it, so that's also an option.

Trip, damn it, I want auto channel with variable channel width based on load and it should adjust dynamically. That sounds really neat.

You guys @Trip and @coxhaus tend to over complicate things.
The OP is asking for a home router and he currently lives in an apartment. :)

You guys @Trip and @coxhaus tend to over complicate things.
The OP is asking for a home router and he currently lives in an apartment. :)
I fully realize that. A lot of what I proposed is complicated. And not sure if the guy owns his place or rents (probably rents), so running wire or bring in a helper might not be appropriate. I could have just left a "just throw an R7800 at it and you should be good to go!", but felt like adding some more possibilities which may (probably could) do a better job for him. Not sure how serious he is or isn't here. Especially if he has the skill level, they could be relevant.

but felt like adding some more possibilities

Don't get me wrong, I see both of you know stuff. The information you provide and suggestions you make though are above the level of understanding of an average SNB user and can be confusing sometimes. The way the question is asked gives you an idea what answer the user expects and what is he/she familiar/comfortable with. All the Cisco, Ruckus, Aruba, Omada, UniFi, OpenWRT, etc. things may wait until further sign/notice. They are good products, but with serious drawbacks for an average home user - usually much higher price, not readily available in computer stores, can't be found easily on "Cyber Monday" deal price, more complicated installation with cables and PoE injectors, not really PnP and user friendly, often with limited or paid support, multiple devices means not very portable in case of moving to a new place, etc.

@geodeath - How flexible is your budget and how intent are you on ending your issues and/or just getting it handled?

I realize you probably wouldn't even be here if you could do the following, and this may sound like bringing a nuclear weapon to a gun fight, but if you do have the means, you might consider hiring this out to a high-end residential AV/networking outfit in your area. Something like London AV Solutions, or similar. The cost level is obvious, but the value here is of course their expertise is being able to navigate past your very challenging environment (from the sounds of it). I figured I'd at least mention it because some people who do have the financial means aren't even aware that the option exists in most markets.

Beyond that, if you still want to DIY, you indeed might be able to get away with a higher-powered all-in-one or single AP, but trying to combat all that RF interference from a single cell may be a losing battle. A better option would be to wire as much Cat6 as is needed and run multiple APs set to very low power, using a centralized wifi product (Omada, UniFi, Cisco WAP, etc.) all connected to a PoE switch and wired router (or wired combo unit like a Cisco RV260P). Either way, the general approach would give you the ability to get as much clean signal as close as possible to your wifi clients, while also having the reliability and bandwidth of wired backhaul and manual control over channel usage (ie. no whole-house mesh systems).

One step further still would be running a wifi product purpose-built for interference mitigation, such as Ruckus. Expensive? You bet. But properly setup, I've seen it simply end people's issues in situations like yours more often than not. Their proprietary beam-steering and PD-MRC works above and beyond the typical standards-based implementations, as does their auto channel selection algorithm, which optimizes channel choice based on client load, traffic flow, RF co-interference, throughput overhead and topology awareness. That will probably be called out as unicorn dust by some here, and that's cool; all I know is I've seen it work enough times when other things wouldn't (including Cisco Aironet), that it must have some value beyond just buying more UniFi or another AC86U and calling it a day. But then again, I'm only one guy, so what do I know. :)

Additionally, all of the above isn't to say static channel assignment and/or disabling DFS, in-part or altogether, isn't the right thing to do for certain scenarios, but just know that at least some of how you can optimize your wifi experience is due to gear selection as much as it is your environment.

Hope some of that helps, and forgive some of my suggestions if they're way above and beyond.

I am a pretty technical dude and bringing a nuclear weapon to a gun fight is my style too, if the problem persists and i spent more time trying to solve something with inadequate measures (lol). However, as technical people, we need to solve problems ourselves, hence me being here in the first place. I am paid to solve problems as a dayjob of a technical nature, so it comes natural to tinker until fixing something :D

Many thanks for the suggestions, was this my own flat/house i would happily pay more to have somebody come and take the burden of this, but i might be changing places even in 6 months, so a good router is all i can do at the moment i am afraid! If and when i have my own place, full cables across the whole house will be the way.

Roger that. I would say an R7800 would be a great AIO solution then. If the stock firmware doesn't work well enough, OpenWRT isn't that hard to setup and install; it comes with a web GUI pre-loaded and enabled (kind of like installing and running DD-WRT). Apparently it's rock-solid on the R7800, so that's assuring.

Did you look at Netgear R7800? Wireless AC Wave 2, excellent hardware, very stable software, DFS channels support, one of the best WiFi throughput and coverage in AIO category.

For BHR's, one can't go wrong with the R7800 - also consider the Synology RT2600ac, which is the same HW, but perhaps better user experience, as the Netgear WebUI is getting long in tooth - all the important stuff is there with both vendors, Synology is just slightly easier to use.

OpenWRT isn't that hard to setup and install; it comes with a web GUI pre-loaded and enabled (kind of like installing and running DD-WRT). Apparently it's rock-solid on the R7800, so that's assuring.

It's still a bit of a work in progress - basic stuff is working, but the ATH10K drivers and the NSS support is under vigorous development. That being said, Kong has joined the OpenWRT effort with his community builds, so things are looking up.

R7800 also has @Voxel support, which is a third party build based on the Netgear firmware.

So more than a couple of options with the r7800

Synology RT2600ac... Synology is just slightly easier to use

Probably the best UI on a consumer product. Very strong selling point, actually. Excellent product, but expensive as R7800.

Probably the best UI on a consumer product. Very strong selling point, actually. Excellent product, but expensive as R7800.

The Syno RT2600ac WebUI will be very familiar to those who have their NAS units, as it's based on the similar code.

I've worked with both - and they perform similarly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!