What's new

Info: Stubby 0.2.3 (latest) is on entware.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The issue with my hacks is OpenVPN clients that use Accept DNS Configuration = Exclusive will not be able to connect since the /tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
Why you do not use Disabled? and in this way you are using Stubby DoT DNS servers and it allows you to use Diversion script.
  • Accept DNS Configuration: Disabled

Why you do not use Disabled? and in this way you are using Stubby DoT DNS servers and it allows you to use Diversion script.
  • Accept DNS Configuration: Disabled
Thank you for pointing that out! That setting works too! Eliminates the need to add the dhcp-option DNS xx.xx.xxx.xx to the custom config section.

stubby has been running for over 48 hours now without the process being killed. I think it is safe for others to start testing.

I am open to writing an installer script if I can get at least 10 likes on this post. For now, I only want to support Cloudfare DNS. Best to take things in small steps! I can expand to other DNS over TLS supported in the future. Cloudfare makes it easy to verify with their https://1.1.1.1/help page. Not sure if others provide a similar site.

Here is another command I found to validate DNS over TLS with Cloudfare 1.1.1.1
Code:
 echo | openssl s_client -connect '1.1.1.1:853'

Last edited:
stubby has been running for over 48 hours now without the process being killed. I think it is safe for others to start testing.

I am open to writing an installer script if I can get at least 10 likes on this post. For now, I only want to support Cloudfare DNS. Best to take things in small steps! I can expand to other DNS over TLS supported in the future. Cloudfare makes it easy to verify with their https://1.1.1.1/help page. Not sure if others provide a similar site.

Code:

Interested, currently using DNSCrypt to connect to 1.1.1.1 with DoH but this looks very interesting.

@Xentrk
I don’t see the file for “/opt/var/log/stubby.log”
After a reboot, stabby is working. How do we see stabby log if any?
How do we print the stabby log to syslog?

For me, the webgui cannot put 127.0.0.1 but we have just input the router IP address. Example 192.168.1.1
This will save the hack that you made to force change using nvram.

I didn’t use the check if stabby is available. I will monitor at my side if stabby stop working after some time.

Meanwhile, I can see that stabby is using must lesser memory than dnscrypt-proxy.

I have another question. How do we stop router from resolving ipv6 like in dnscrypt-proxy.

I don’t see the file for “/opt/var/log/stubby.log”
After a reboot, stabby is working. How do we see stabby log if any?
The base stubby code doesn't support logging to a file as a daemon. I added code to stubby to support that function.

The base stubby code doesn't support logging to a file as a daemon. I added code to stubby to support that function.
Ic.
Another question. Noted that @bigeyes0x0 made the dnscrypt-proxy to execute as nobody (ownership). How do we do that for Stubby?

I notice that when I do a restart command for stubby in terminal. While terminal is active, Stubby is alive. After I shut down (exit) terminal, somehow stubby is terminated.

This thread, this forum is amazing. I love how the community comes together and lends a hand to sort things out. I dare say there is little that can't be solved (in the networking world) here! You guys are awesome!! Keep up the great work! :)

I am just playing around.
When I use the stubby command directly with nohup, stubby did not terminate after I shut down terminal.
Code:
nohup stubby -g -v 5 &

However I am unable to use nohup on /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby
Stubby don’t start.

Code:
Thanks for the likes and encouragement to create the installer script! I'll start working on it today. Please note that
Code:
Stubby is in the early stages of development but is suitable for technical/advanced users. A more generally user-friendly version is on the way!

This "early stages of development" quote also applies to the use of Stubby on Asuswrt-Merlin. My goal is to make the installation easier and encourage more people to use it so we can get feedback on refine its utilization on the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Time to get to work!

I am just playing around.
When I use the stubby command directly with nohup, stubby did not terminate after I shut down terminal.
Code:
nohup stubby -g -v 5 &

However I am unable to use nohup on /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby
Stubby don’t start.

I don't use the nohup command. Inside /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby
Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=stubby
ARGS="-g -v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>/opt/var/log/stubby.log"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Then, give the /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby followed by one of the parms (start|stop|restart|check|kill|reconfigure). Example usage:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby start
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby stop
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby restart

I don't use the nohup command. Inside /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby
Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=stubby
ARGS="-g -v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>/opt/var/log/stubby.log"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Then, give the /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby followed by one of the parms (start|stop|restart|check|kill|reconfigure). Example usage:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby start
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby stop
/opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby restart
That’s what I did and the moment I exit terminal with the exit command. Somehow it terminate the stubby process and I can’t surf anymore. I went back to use htop to check. Confirmed process is terminated.
Only when I use
Code:
nohup stubby -g -v 5 &
then process is retain even after closing terminal.

for now i am back to John fork waiting for the script that will be provide (hope) by @Xentrk [emoji6]
@john9527 has done a great of integrating Stubby with the Fork by adding functionality in the web gui to support it. I recommend you stay with the Fork if your router supports it. The Fork will be a much better integrated solution compared to installing Stubby from entware.

That’s what I did and the moment I exit terminal with the exit command. Somehow it terminate the stubby process and I can’t surf anymore. I went back to use htop to check. Confirmed process is terminated.
Only when I use
Code:
nohup stubby -g -v 5 &
then process is retain even after closing terminal.
Perhaps Stubby is not consuming enough memory to display on htop? Try these commands:

Code:
ps | grep stubby | grep -v grep

netstat -lnptu | grep stubby

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!