What's new

Inside Story: D-Link DIR-825 vs. DIR-855

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK. (Actually not OK;))
I forgot to mention that the usual applies :
I want to setup the main router, e.g. DIR-855, as a 5Ghz-wireless-"N"-router (with DHCP server, blah, blah) and set up the other router, e.g. DIR-655, as a 2.4Ghz-"G"-access-point only (so with DHCP turned off and uplinked by wire to the DIR-855 router).
Both DIR-855, and DIR-655 above may be replaced by any capable/equivalent router.

How much 2.4GHz networks are you running. Cordless phones should be 5.8GHz band. I don't know why they had gone with 5.3GHz on the dual on 855/825. Still DECT 6 cordless phones would be the way to go. I still use 2.4GHz and I have 5.8GHz DSS phones. not to interfere with each other. Have you run test using Passmark Wireless Mon to see how your spectrum of wireless coverage and signal strength?

5GHz band width is still so new for wireless, unless you buy the more expensive routers that have more Mw than these from Dlink.

At the moment I'm running 1 (one) 2.4 Ghz network.
Philips DECT 617 Duo (cordless phone set).

No, I didn't even know of the existence of Passmark Wireless Mon.
I'll have to google for it. Is it free, or pay for ?

When I turn on WIFI on the iPod Touch, most of the time it finds 10-16 other names besides ours which it automatically connects to.
I presume those are just the ones which are not hidden.

.......... 5GHz band width is still so new for wireless, unless you buy the more expensive routers that have more Mw than these from Dlink.
What is "more Mw" ? EDIT 2 : OK, Milli Watt.:eek: So which routers have more Milli Watts than ?

EDIT 1 :
I went here for the program : http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm
But the program needs to run on a PC and reports information it receives from the wireless adapter in the PC.
Too bad, because at the moment only the gadgets, the 1 permanent and static notebook, and the 2 guest notebooks (weekends only) connect to the wireless network.
The 3 desktop PCs and other notebook are wired to the network.
I'm not getting permisson to install the trial on the notebooks. I just asked all three.

Last edited:
How does the D-link 655 compare to the D-link 825? I just ordered the 655 thinking it is better because of the three antennas but I'm having seconds thought

My 2 Euro cents:
If you do not need or want 5Ghz, go for the DIR-655.
If you have many hogging clients connecting, go for the DIR-825.

I decided to go for 1 x DIR-825 (as router) and 1 x DIR655 (as access point).
Alas, not one (online) shop here in The Netherlands stocks the DIR-825.:rolleyes:
DIR-855 and DIR-655 only.
I can't even get a quote on the DIR-825. One shop owner told me to sit it out and not waste any money on the DIR-855. He adviced (that when necessary) it would be wiser to buy better antennas and/or matching cards from the money saved.
Although I came across this DIR-825 RSS press release in the first week of October.
from press release said:
Price and Availability
The DIR-825 will be widely available Oct. 1, 2008 through D-Link’s network of retail, etail and solution providers, and online at www.dlinkshop.com for the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $199.99. SharePort also will be available in D-Link’s family of high-end 802.11n routers, including the DIR-628, DIR-655, DIR-855 and DGL-4500**. Current owners of those routers will be able to upgrade to SharePort technology by downloading the firmware and client utility from the D-Link website, www.dlink.com.

I might drop my "requirement" for 5Ghz and buy 2 x DIR-655 to get 2 different networks (2 different SSIDs) with QOS. So that I can separate the traffic in that way. The Gbit wired connection between the two, should be plenty fast, and the throughputs of the DIR-655 look sufficient to handle requests of all clients. And when wireless "N" is a standard and certified routers are available I'll take the plunge.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!