What's new

Skynet Installing Skynet causes router to crash and reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To each their own... and I totally respect your individual choices. Personally, I think AiProtection is a bit of a privacy threat... Here's some more info on the information it collects when you have this feature turned on:

• Product information, such as MAC address, device ID
• Public IP address of the user’s gateway to the internet
• Mobile/PC environment
• Metadata from suspicious executable files
• URLs, Domains and IP addresses of websites visited
• Metadata of user/device managed by gateway Product
• Application behaviours
• Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided access
• Behaviours of Product users
• Information from suspicious email, including sender and receiver email address, and attachments
• Detected malicious file information
• Detected malicious network connection information
• Debug logs
• Network Architecture/Topology
• Screen capture of errors

Yes, there’s quite a bit of info that can be collected by Trend Micro and you need to agree to it, so their services can work, which are described in detail here:

• Analyse data sent to/from the user’s device to isolate and identify threats, vulnerabilities, suspicious activity and attacks;
• Assess the reputation of a website, email sender’s IP address, device or file to advise the user on whether access should be granted;
• Analyse email to protect against spam, impersonation and other suspicious content;
• Virus protection;
• Intrusion detection, prevention and protection;
• Threat prevention and prediction;
• Network defence;
• Sand box testing (for certain cloud products);
• Storage of emails for back up purposes (certain cloud products);
• Identify, block and/or remove applications, messages, and files that may compromise productivity or the performance and security of computers, systems, and/or networks;
• Identify sources and methods of targeted attacks; and
• Deliver updated protection against malicious threats.

The collected information can also be used for other purposes such as:

• Internal record keeping;
• Compliance with the law and requests from government bodies;
• Product and Service development;
• Keeping existing and past Customers informed about our Products, Services and promotions;
• Providing Customer support;
• Managing subscriptions and billing; and
• Responding to requests, questions and comments.

"Lastly, it’s worth taking a look at with whom is Trend Micro sharing your data. From the Privacy notice, it seems that some data can be shared but only in relation to provide or receive certain services which can include technical support, hosting cloud services, shipping and customer research. The last is a bit ambiguous but overall, it doesn’t seem that Trend Micro will sell your data to ad companies, that’s something that other bigger players are well known to practice and yes, I am talking about Google, Facebook and other social media websites (funny enough, Microsoft and Apple can also be included in this list)."

Article that does a deepdive here...

So yeah... not a huge fan over here. That's why it's off. I already share enough.
Please don't regurgitate this nonsense, it only serves to mislead people. That article is the opposite of a "deep dive". It has been debunked at length numerous times. But to be fair it doesn't say this is "the information it collects when you have this feature turned on". It's a superficial reading of a generic company policy leading to some erroneous speculation about what might be collected. If people want to know more about how AiProtection actually works there are already threads about that. Since that 2021 article was published Asus Trend Micro have also provided more specific information about what metadata is processed by AiProtection.

Last edited:
Please don't regurgitate this nonsense, it only serves to mislead people. That article is the opposite of a "deep dive". It has been debunked at length numerous times. But to be fair it doesn't say this is "the information it collects when you have this feature turned on". It's a superficial reading of a generic company policy leading to some erroneous speculation about what might be collected. If people want to know more about how AiProtection actually works there are already threads about that. Since that 2021 article was published Asus have also provided more specific information about what metadata is processed by AiProtection.
To be fair, Trend Micro does have to abide by the GDPR, which put them more under a microscope, but seriously... this exact blurb is basically cut & pasted directly from Trend Micro's Privacy policy (pg 11): https://www.trendmicro.com/en_th/about/trust-center/privacy/notice.html

These types of information and personal information enables users to participate, share and leverage
Trend Micro's global database of threat related intelligence to rapidly identify and defend against
potential threats within each Customer's unique network environment, as described in more detail
below, as well as enabling us to provide any support requested. You can find further details of the
types of data that Trend Micro products collect, what this data is used for and detailed instructions on
how to disable the specific features that feedback data to Trend Micro in the Privacy and Personal
Data Collection Disclosure.[LINK/URL: https://success.trendmicro.com/data-collection-disclosure]

• Product information, such as MAC address, device ID
• Public IP address of the user's gateway to the internet
• Mobile/PC environment
• Metadata from suspicious executable files
• URLs, Domains and IP addresses of websites visited and DNS data
• Metadata of user/device managed by gateway Product
• Information about the Android applications installed on a user's device
• Application behaviours
• Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided
access
• Behaviours of Product users
• Information from suspicious email, including sender and receiver email address, and
attachments
• Detected malicious file information including file name and file path
• Detected malicious network connection information
• Debug logs
• Network Architecture/Topology and network telemetry data
• Screen capture of errors
• Windows event log content
• WMI event content
• Registry data

Security and threat detection functions relating to our Products and functions includes:
• Analyse data sent to/from the user's device to isolate and identify threats, vulnerabilities,
suspicious activity and attacks;
• Assess the reputation of a website, email sender’s IP address, device or file to advise the user
on whether access should be granted;
• Analyse email to protect against spam, impersonation and other suspicious content;
• Virus protection;
• Intrusion detection, prevention and protection;
• Threat prevention and prediction;
• Network defence;
• Sand box testing (for certain cloud products);
• Storage of emails for back up purposes (certain cloud products);
• Identify, block and/or remove applications, messages, and files that may compromise
productivity or the performance and security of computers, systems, and/or networks;
• Identify sources and methods of targeted attacks; and
• Deliver updated protection against malicious threats.

We may also use personal information for other business purposes, including:
• Internal record keeping;
• Compliance with the law and requests from government bodies;
• Product development;
• Keeping existing and past Customers informed about our Products and promotions;
• Providing Customer support;
• Managing subscriptions and billing; and
• Responding to requests, questions and comments.

To be fair, Trend Micro does have to abide by the GDPR, which put them more under a microscope, but seriously... this exact blurb is basically cut & pasted directly from Trend Micro's Privacy policy (pg 11): https://www.trendmicro.com/en_th/about/trust-center/privacy/notice.html
Sorry, this has been flogged to death and I don't want to repeat it all again here. But basically that is not the relevant policy which is why quoting it is misleading. As I said, there is a more specific policy for AiProtection.

All in good sport! 😉 I want you to make the right choice for your environment/preferences, and I'm sure @Tech9 does too. Also, many times you might have enabled IPv6 on your router or internal devices, but your ISP doesn't support it. Make sure you check with them.
You are absolutely right! I really respect you and @Tech9, regarding knowledge and kindness to SNBforums community 🥰 Thank you again for your advice. My previous ISP supports IPv6, but the current one doesn't. Therefore, I think Skynet is still ok for me at the moment 😁

None of us uses Trend Micro services including @ColinTaylor. If you decide to click "Agree" - it's your personal decision. The Data Collection Daemon runs in the background the moment you activate any firmware feature using Trend Micro engine. What exactly it collects and when - no one here knows for sure. Proprietary software, closed source. If they decide to collect something else in the future - no further notice will be sent to you. What you agreed to already covers it and it's basically everything. Asus renamed "Privacy" tab to "Policy" in later firmware versions. This way you may feel better. It's a Policy now, nothing to do with Privacy. Use DNS-over-TLS for "privacy".

Happy networking! Let us know about your experience so we can expand our theories further and share our opinion with the others, when asked. 🤭

b60322b81a9bda86a55115bdcd393880.gif

None of us uses Trend Micro services including @ColinTaylor. If you decide to click "Agree" - it's your personal decision. The Data Collection Daemon runs in the background the moment you activate any firmware feature using Trend Micro engine. What exactly it collects and when - no one here knows for sure. Proprietary software, closed source. If they decide to collect something else in the future - no further notice will be sent to you. What you agreed to already covers it and it's basically everything. Asus renamed "Privacy" tab to "Policy" in later firmware versions. This way you may feel better. It's a Policy now, nothing to do with Privacy. Use DNS-over-TLS for "privacy".

Happy networking! Let us know about your experience so we can expand our theories further and share our opinion with the others, when asked. 🤭

View attachment 56643
Thank you for your comprehensive explanation. I haven't known that Asus changes it to "Policy" now, in turns makes them have more "power" on the data collected. Moreover, I am also using DNS-over-TLS.
Thank you again 🥰 I will make a post if I have any more questions or issues (hopefully not 😁 ). Have a great day and take care @Tech9.