What's new

Intel SS4200-E and 2gb+ files

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnno

New Around Here
Hi all,

The recent review of the Intel SS4200-E NAS on this site makes it look real nice..

But the release notes for the latest firmware note that "you cannot play video files over 2gb".

This, combined with a little research which indicates that the device uses some kind of stripped-down Linux install (presumably using samba) leads to the conclusion that EMC or Intel is using an old or misconfigured version which doesn't support online seeking in files over 2gb.

Can anyone confirm that this is a real issue?

The hardware looks nice, but I'd rather not buy into yet another consumer device with "beta" firmware.. :/

They state the 2GB limitation applies only to the Storage System Manager's Upload feature. The workaround is to use the file manager feature of the operating system, e.g. Windows Explorer. They state this limitation is due to a limitation with HTTP. I think you should be fine. I just bought an SS4200-E and hope to test it over this 4th of July weekend with SageTV and several SageTV HD Media Extenders. I'll post an update once I've set this up.

Intel SS4200-E too slow !!!

Hi, I've been looking for a while on the net to find a solution to my problem.
I've just bought the Intel SS4200-E with 4 WD Caviars 640G.
All the installation and setup went very smoothly.
But the transfer of files from my PC to the NAS is very slow.
I use a mb GigaByte GA-8IPE1000 pro with onboard LAN card.
I don't have a network at present, I just use the LAN port for my internet connection via a Netgear router.
Any suggestion on how I should set the "local area connection properties" to improve speed ?
Thanks in advance !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!