What's new

Interested in a 1 year tricked-out TVS-473?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would you buy this if you needed the features?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darf Nader

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,
I have owned my TVS-473 for exactly a year and while I absolutely love it, I no longer am working out of my house and while it rocks for my media collection, its total overkill as I am not longer using it to provide mass storage for my workstation. On top of that, I tricked it out with dual 1 TB super-fast m2.SSDs for tiered storage and 32 GB of RAM so that it ran VMs well as I needed to have it provide a lot of service and didn't want to attempt to mess with Entware which is what the QNAP OS is. As remarkable as it all is, I don't actually need it and since it and its components actually have gone up in price, so if anyone is okay buying a used machine I hoe I can actually recoup a lot of my sunk costs while making someone happy to be able to buy a much-covetted NAS for a lot less than new. At this point a stack of USB drives on my old mac-mini is plenty fast to do whatever Plex needs, and while it's not great for other stuff, it begrudgingly does the job.

So my question is would anyone buy this thing for a price that made it worth selling? I know people buy used Macs a lot but are NAS customers a little more particular about buying new regardless of price? I would love some feedback. I know this is not a good place to sell a QNAP since you all surely have one, at least you might know what it might be worth to someone. I look forward to hearing y'all's opinions on the matter.

The TVS-473 is a very nice unit, and QNAP has been pretty good about adding and extending the core QTS platform...

Challenge is that the NAS market in general isn't very large - and as you noted above, the used NAS marketplace is pretty soft.

I'd be interested, but I already have a QNAP 4-bay NAS (TS-453Pro)...

Thanks for the input. You are echoing what I already believe to be true. Even when I have a 3 year transferable extended warranty on the thing, I think if someone is going to

If I may bloviate on the topic, the other problem is that, like you and probably everyone else on this channel, are very pleased with their QNAP NAS. It is just hard for me to justify the expense, especially when I can't even it of on my taxes! I have the makings of a perfectly good DIY NAS which was supposed to just be a backup NAS with a fast CPU to handle more Plex transcoding processes. (While QNAP is great for running Plex, it was never intended to server streams to more than one person, even in the same household.)

In short, the whole situation feels incredibly wasteful, if just for the KWh necessary to keep everything turn on. I wish I could think of a way to have these machines earn their keep other than mining bitcoin like a wretch. (I might as well turn them off and earn more money!) If only I lived in a country where residential internet service wasn't both expensive and terrible. Then I could actually host services to my trusted colleagues, like off-site backups.

TL;DR I agree with you, unfortunately.

yep, understood...

Wish you the best on the sale - otherwise, put it back to work ;)

https://www.qnap.com/solution/pfsense/en/

is one option, and you've got enough headroom and expansion capability one the 473 to make it a very powerful router - better than anything you'll find in the consumer space...

sidebar - I've got two mac mini's - a 2010 and a quad i7 2012 model - the mini with the OSX server app is a good replacement for the QNAP if you find a willing buyer for it.