What's new

Which mesh device to purchase for 4500sq ft house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

t_moore

Occasional Visitor
Greetings,

I just noticed that my Zenwifi CT8 model is EOL with Asus. I thought about replacing it with an XT8 or something, but I don't feel great about the zenwifi series itself. I love the Asus interface (and love if it supported merlin). I don't actually need the Wifi backhaul because the 2 nodes I have now are connected via Gig-Ethernet.

So what should I get to replace this? I just want something that will be somewhat futureproof for a while, not super expensive, and gives me at least the same bandwidth/support that the CT8 did. We still have lots of older devices in the house so Wifi6+ isn't totally necessary, but 5ghz is.

Thanks!

RT-AX88U Pro.

There is nothing more bang-for-the-buck than this today.

The RT series is superior to the ZenWiFi series for a reason.

Wait for a sale?

I just want something that will be somewhat futureproof for a while

I would get an RT-AX86U Pro and continue using the existing ZenWiFi CT8 units as AiMesh nodes or access points. They are safe in this role and RT-AX86U Pro will be supported for 3-4 more years. This is usually the cheapest model based around new BCM4912 hardware. It's popular and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for it is available.

I would get an RT-AX86U Pro and continue using the existing ZenWiFi CT8 units as AiMesh nodes or access points. They are safe in this role and RT-AX86U Pro will be supported for 3-4 more years. This is usually the cheapest model based around new BCM4912 hardware. It's popular and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for it is available.
Great! Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at this. Good idea about using the ct8's as mesh nodes.

If the budget is limited and Asuswrt-Merlin support is not required - I would get one RT-AX3000 V2 for main router. This is the current generation budget devices hardware built around BCM6756. It may also get few years of support. Your requirements are not high, use what you already have and don't overspend for no reason.

If the budget is limited and Asuswrt-Merlin support is not required - I would get one RT-AX3000 V2 for main router. This is the current generation budget devices hardware built around BCM6756. It may also get few years of support. Your requirements are not high, use what you already have and don't overspend for no reason.
Thanks I'll look at that too. I'm not limited by budget, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily if I don't need to. I can probably get away with even keeping the ct8 for a long time (since it's actually behind the AT&T router), but my tech itch doesn't like having "older" hardware, and I have an iphone 15 sooo :)

You can continue using your ZenWiFi CT8 then and your iPhone 15 won't notice much of a difference after the upgrade anyway. About the itch - try Benadryl. 🤭

Replaced two AC86u’s with a single AX86u in 3600 sq ft home and it works great. Of course YMMV based on layout etc.
If you are running wireless in a 3600 sq ft home you are not running 5 Gh with a single unit. There is no way you can have that much coverage using 5GHz. Sounds like marketing crap.

Yea. I just looked up the RT-AX88U and apparently because I'm using AT&T and have a garbage Pace router it doesn't work well autonegotiating with 2.5gb ports. Maybe I'll just wait for an issue and then just convert everything over to google fiber which seems to allow 3rd party routers better.

Sounds like a good solution for something like Eero's - looking for that sweet velvety mix/mesh of wifi...

Netgear Orbi's are another solution - a base plus a couple of satellites - and like the Orbi's, once set up, they just work...

If you are running wireless in a 3600 sq ft home you are not running 5 Gh with a single unit. There is no way you can have that much coverage using 5GHz. Sounds like marketing crap.
I must be hallucinating as my AC3200 and AX1100pro cover my 6000 sq ft home no problem , no mesh no extenders just the single router . Depends on house construction and router placement , or maybe I'm FOS ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!