What's new

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi since upgrading to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have no idea what those settings actually do, so could you provide further details please?
Asusnat tunnel is a special NAT tunnel built-in to enable access to the router from the WAN side, even under NAT network. It is used by certain features, and the Asus Router mobile app. If you are paranoid about this kind of tunnel, you are given the option to disable it.
The Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) protocol is a technology which aids a web browser in automatically detecting the location of a Proxy Auto Config (PAC) file using DNS or DHCP. The PAC file contains information of web proxy server.
By default, the DHCP server in the router will send empty WPAD with a carriage return to the requester. If this behavior causes problem, you can disable the sending of carriage return in empty WPAD.

I've just had another short interruption to Wi-Fi on my RT-AX88U. I've saved the system log, but there's so many entries that I can't tell if there is anything in there that might give a clue as to what was happening when the Wi-Fi went down.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    374.8 KB · Views: 87
That syslog covers a time period from 8:53 AM to 12:50 PM. Does this represent the entire outage period, or does the outage start at a specific point in that syslog? IOW, it would help to know when the outage started to determine if there's anything relevant at that time in the syslog.

Also, are talking about 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both? It's it both, it's far less likely to be due to normal interference (too much of a coincidence).

That syslog covers a time period from 8:53 AM to 12:50 PM. Does this represent the entire outage period, or does the outage start at a specific point in that syslog? IOW, it would help to know when the outage started to determine if there's anything relevant at that time in the syslog.

Also, are talking about 2.4GHz, 5GHz, or both? It's it both, it's far less likely to be due to normal interference (too much of a coincidence).
The outrage occurred just before the log ends (estimated to be around 12:50). I can't be sure whether it was both bands that dropped at this stage, so I have now set my laptop to not reconnect to the 5GHz band if the Wi-Fi drops and I have set my Huawei tablet that monitors my front door to use the 2.4 GHz band, so I should be able to answer that question next time it happens. It may be a few days though as it's totally random. I'll update this thread when I know more.

RT-AX86U here.

I am also facing the same issue. After checking the log, I found out that the router actually reboot by itself for unknown reason. That is the root cause of losing WiFi connection, since the router is undergoing a reboot process.

I have an old RT-AC86U acting as AiMesh node now, on the same firmware version. No reboot issue on that AC86U router so far.

i've not noticed any wifi dropping on my side with a AX88U and this firmware.

1656830767782.png

And my harmonyHub wifi connected time equals my router up time. 242 hours = 10 days.

1656830866627.png

Me too, random wifi / backhaul disconnects on ax6000 since last upgrade.
feel reluctant about the hard reset as I don’t feel like retraining /configuring my whole AImesh setup.
which is a pain dragging routers around the house :(

you’re on 2.4 band….
Yes that is the band I choose to show.

I have devices on 5Ghz as well but they don't sit in one location mostly laptops and mobiles phones so they go on and off the network.

My point was to show a device that has not dropped connection.

I am also facing the same issue. After checking the log, I found out that the router actually reboot by itself for unknown reason. That is the root cause of losing WiFi connection, since the router is undergoing a reboot process.

Take a look at this thread .....

i also have random connection drops or very slow speeds over wifi with 386.7 so i went back to 386.5_2 which is super stable for me. So i think there is more going on than blaming dirty upgrades.
it's not actual connection drops when i checked my logs but more like no pages loading or super slow which eventually will cause a timeout.

The Wi-Fi has just gone off again and interrupted a music video I was streaming from my NAS. It happened on both bands at just before 21:37. I'm uploading the system log and will be downgrading to the previous version as there is clearly a problem with the current build (at least as far as my router is concerned).

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    281.1 KB · Views: 77
The Wi-Fi has just gone off again and interrupted a music video I was streaming from my NAS. It happened on both bands at just before 21:37. I'm uploading the system log and will be downgrading to the previous version as there is clearly a problem with the current build (at least as far as my router is concerned).

Your router rebooted, sometime after 21:31:13.
Maybe see my post #33 above.

Yes, I noticed that when I checked the log after uploading it. So there could be two problems, a rebooting issue and a Wi-Fi dropping issue. Either way, the latest firmware is unstable on my RT-AX88U, even after a clean install. I'll see how things go now that I have downgraded to the previous firmware.

Since I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AX88U, I've been having internet disconnects several times a day, just for a few seconds, but enough to cause disruption. As most of my devices are on the 5GHz band, I'm not sure if it's also happening on the 2.4GHz band. I don't know whether this is of any help but I've saved the system log, which covers the period when I last lost the internet. I'll upload it with this thread. I've tried using different DNS servers in case that was a factor, but so far it has happened on Quad9, Adguard and CleanBrowsing. I've just set it back to use my ISP's DNS to see if it still does it, but I suspect it will. Is anyone else having similar problems by any chance?
Have seen this here, during which, router LED’s that I have set to ‘off’ manually using the switch on the router, would switch on, as if by magic. :)

The router didn’t reboot so far as I could see, but wifi was interrupted for a brief time.

What I did:
Set ‘format JFFS at next reboot’ = yes. Apply, then reboot.
Restore JFFS from back up.
So far, 55 hours uninterrupted wifi. Still watching…….

DOing
i also have random connection drops or very slow speeds over wifi with 386.7 so i went back to 386.5_2 which is super stable for me. So i think there is more going on than blaming dirty upgrades.
it's not actual connection drops when i checked my logs but more like no pages loading or super slow which eventually will cause a timeout.Doing t
I can confirm this on 386.7 and AX-86U. Started to drop WAN during night. Fresh install yesterday (nuke reset with WPS button) and also initialize all settings + JFSS.
386.7 still drops wifi. Returning to 386.5_2.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!