What's new

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi since upgrading to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With my AX88U, I have no Scripts, all options are almost default and as I said before, nothing to report on the LAN/WAN/WIFI/VPN.
I flashed the 386.7 version from the 386_5.2 then did a WPS reset + formatting of the JFFS partition + reboot (I insist on this point to avoid any problem) I then manually reconfigured all my settings (without importing a backup) and did a last reboot to apply.
Here is a screen from my work laptop that has been connected in 5 Ghz (auto channel, everything by default) since 07H00 today without any problem.
I turn the computer on early in the morning and turn it off at night when work is done. I have been doing this for over 11 days now and no interruptions.
I also have android smartphones that connect and stay connected for more than 3 hours (when I watch youtube) without any problem.
View attachment 42493
View attachment 42490
Solid as a rock.
13+ hours both router & wifi uptime here now.
Too early to get excited, as 55+ hours before wifi failure has been seen prior to full reset…..

After reset procedure, I introduced the amtm scripts I run, one at a time.
Reboot after each install, & check operation.

Installation of the final one (YazFi) caused the 5ghz LED to turn off, & yes, that radio was dead. Reboot, it came back, then had a couple of wifi (2.4 & 5) disconnects in quick succession as previously mentioned.

Currently running with YazFi uninstalled, if I can get more than 55 hours uptime, I guess I’ve found/fixed my issue?:)

This is my current uptime since reverting to 386.5_2. No problems so far.
Screenshot - 06_07_2022 , 08_07_05.jpg

My Wi-Fi is set to use channel 11 20 MHz & channel 44 20/40/80 MHz, The only scripts I am running are Skynet and SNMP. Trend Micro stuff is all disabled. The WAN DNS settings are set to use Quad9.

Would it help to diagnose the disconnection problems by setting the system log like this to cut out the irrelevant log entries?
Screenshot - 06_07_2022 , 08_14_23.jpg

I have to admit that I don't understand why there are two options for the logging.

Too early to get excited, as 55+ hours before wifi failure has been seen prior to full reset…..

Installation of the final one (YazFi) caused the 5ghz LED to turn off, & yes, that radio was dead. Reboot, it came back, then had a couple of wifi (2.4 & 5) disconnects in quick succession as previously mentioned.

Currently running with YazFi uninstalled, if I can get more than 55 hours uptime, I guess I’ve found/fixed my issue?:)
Indeed, if you don't have any more problems of Wifi cuts with the uninstallation of the script, you surely found the solution to your problem !
Personally I have never used scripts or other tricks and I have never had a problem of reboot of the router or Wifi cut with Merlin firmwares for at least 3 years.

Since I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AX88U, I've been having internet disconnects several times a day, just for a few seconds, but enough to cause disruption. As most of my devices are on the 5GHz band, I'm not sure if it's also happening on the 2.4GHz band. I don't know whether this is of any help but I've saved the system log, which covers the period when I last lost the internet. I'll upload it with this thread. I've tried using different DNS servers in case that was a factor, but so far it has happened on Quad9, Adguard and CleanBrowsing. I've just set it back to use my ISP's DNS to see if it still does it, but I suspect it will. Is anyone else having similar problems by any chance?

Same is happening to me on my AX-88. Interestingly, if look at the uptime statistics on the router, there was nothing to suggest that there was a reboot or restart of wifi. The wifi (both 5g and 2.4g) seems to go "off" and on again few times a day.

I am trying out the latest alpha release to see if that addresses the issue.

I updated my RT-AC88U from 386.5_2 to 386.7 on Monday... it wasn't til today that I saw this post, after many rounds of wondering, "why does my phone keep disconnecting from the wifi, and isn't this problem "solved" by Asus every few releases?"

I just flashed back to 386.5_2 and will see how it goes. So far I'm not seeing the repeated `Auth/Assoc/Deauth_ind/Disassoc` cycles so that's a plus.

Anyone know if the 48966 GPL in 386.7 includes the "Fixed anomalous 802.11 frame issues" that I've seen Asus including in the changelog of the latest firmware for multiple models? The XT8 48966 beta firmware doesn't list that specific change(and neither did the previous official 48706) but I do see it listed in the AX88U 48631 release and practically all 49xxx releases that have been released in the last few days. I'm just wondering if this topic is related to that as I've had this exact issue with my AX11000 and a few others like a AX88U/AX58U, which is why I've had to switch back to 386.5_2 for the time being on all of them

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am experiencing exact same as @ but with my GT-AC53000.
Initially, I dirty flashed, and Wi-Fi disconnects were very frequent.
I then did factory resets and now Wi-Fi drops like 5-6 times per day - and that only for couple of seconds

Hi Guys,

Just an update for better development (I'm not complaining)
I'm not PRO as you are, so I can't really test/describe (this-that) but there is something :buggie: ( :D ) with 386.7 when it comes to Wi-Fi and RT-AC5300
As in my previous post, Wi-Fi was disconnecting several times per day, and that with clean/factory reset after upgrade.
I dirty downgraded to a previous version, and it's been as it was, very stable and no DCs since 2 days ago. (it was smooth-working for months on previous version)
Hope that new version will not have this issue/s.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
No problems at all after reverting to 386.5_2 reloading my backup config.
I make quite a lot of changes, no auto channels, wifi pro settings and so on, DNS, QoS, TrendMicro, etc. Have 60+ devices connected flawlessly :)
Screenshot 2022-07-07 at 07.42.44.png

Since I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AX88U, I've been having internet disconnects several times a day, just for a few seconds, but enough to cause disruption. As most of my devices are on the 5GHz band, I'm not sure if it's also happening on the 2.4GHz band. I don't know whether this is of any help but I've saved the system log, which covers the period when I last lost the internet. I'll upload it with this thread. I've tried using different DNS servers in case that was a factor, but so far it has happened on Quad9, Adguard and CleanBrowsing. I've just set it back to use my ISP's DNS to see if it still does it, but I suspect it will. Is anyone else having similar problems by any chance?
i second this. i have the same issue with RT-AX88u. 5Ghz Wifi just randomly got disconnected whereas the router still operates as normal. 2.4 Ghz is running fine as well.
It could be due to wifi driver issue.
Downgraded to 386.5_2 and it's running perfectly fine.

Hi Guys,

Just an update for better development (I'm not complaining)
I'm not PRO as you are, so I can't really test/describe (this-that) but there is something :buggie: ( :D ) with 386.7 when it comes to Wi-Fi and RT-AC5300
As in my previous post, Wi-Fi was disconnecting several times per day, and that with clean/factory reset after upgrade.
I dirty downgraded to a previous version, and it's been as it was, very stable and no DCs since 2 days ago. (it was smooth-working for months on previous version)
Hope that new version will not have this issue/s.

Thanks all!
I agree. Since I did a dirty downgrade to 386.5_2, 3 days 17 hours ago, I have not (so far at least) had any Wi-Fi dropouts or rebooting of my RT-AX88U. I previously did 2 x clean installs of 386.7 and both resulted in Wi-Fi dropping out for around a minute each time. So something definitely seems to be wrong with the latest firmware.

I agree. Since I did a dirty downgrade to 386.5_2, 3 days 17 hours ago, I have not (so far at least) had any Wi-Fi dropouts or rebooting of my RT-AX88U. I previously did 2 x clean installs of 386.7 and both resulted in Wi-Fi dropping out for around a minute each time. So something definitely seems to be wrong with the latest firmware.
I essentially have come to the same results with my RT-AX86U.
Upgrading from 386.5 to 386.7 resulted in intermittent Wifi drops that I could not find a resolution for.
Also with the upgrade I had slow Instant Guard performance.

Went back to 386.5 did a reset, manually configured and all seems well.
Instant Guard performance is flawless thus far.

I only have a router no Aimesh or any of that stuff.

Indeed, if you don't have any more problems of Wifi cuts with the uninstallation of the script, you surely found the solution to your problem !
Personally I have never used scripts or other tricks and I have never had a problem of reboot of the router or Wifi cut with Merlin firmwares for at least 3 years.
& we have a winner!
Full reset, & uninstalling YazFi was the charm.
386.7 uptime 60+ hours with no wifi outages.

Have now loaded up the test build, all good so far……..

& we have a winner!

hmm that maybe it I don't use that Add on never have.

1657232181858.png

Wifi has been solid for me since loading this firmware. And using the work laptop on 5ghz heavily the last few days no drops.

1657232291989.png

& we have a winner!

There needs to be a focus here on determining if indeed YazFi is the problem. Because I have a theory as to why that might be the case. But before getting into the gory details, I'd first like to make sure we're seeing a real pattern here.

There needs to be a focus here on determining if indeed YazFi is the problem. Because I have a theory as to why that might be the case. But before getting into the gory details, I'd first like to make sure we're seeing a real pattern here.
Yup, raises many questions.
At best, I’ve found a work around? The ‘why’ eludes me……

Used YazFi without problem for a long while prior to 386.7.

I have never used and scripts or YazFi and yet experiencing drop outs with 386.7.
386.5_2 rock solid
Neither have I, so although YazFi might be the problem for some members, it's certainly not the solution to the underlying problem that the curent build is causing for me and others.

On my current firmware (386.5_2), the uptime without any problems is:-
Screenshot - 08_07_2022 , 11_10_24.jpg

So there doesn't seem to be any hardware problems; just the latest firmware build.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online