What's new

Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi since upgrading to 386.7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Since I upgraded the firmware on my RT-AX88U, I've been having internet disconnects several times a day, just for a few seconds, but enough to cause disruption. As most of my devices are on the 5GHz band, I'm not sure if it's also happening on the 2.4GHz band. I don't know whether this is of any help but I've saved the system log, which covers the period when I last lost the internet. I'll upload it with this thread. I've tried using different DNS servers in case that was a factor, but so far it has happened on Quad9, Adguard and CleanBrowsing. I've just set it back to use my ISP's DNS to see if it still does it, but I suspect it will. Is anyone else having similar problems by any chance?

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    231.1 KB · Views: 161
Save a current backup config file, do a full reset to factory defaults, permanently a minimal and manual configuration and see if the issues persist.

Update: I've done a further test and discovered that it's not actually the internet that is being interrupted, it's the Wi-Fi (I don't know at this stage whether it's both bands, although I suspect that it is). I've reverted to the previous firmware as I was also having problems with the VPN (see my other thread on this issue).

Hi, my AX88U has been working fine for over three days now.
I flashed the 386.7 version from the 386_5.2 then did a WPS reset + formatting of the JFFS partition + reboot (I insist on this point to avoid any problem) I then manually reconfigured all my settings (without importing a backup) and did a last reboot to apply.
No problem to report in IPV4 with 5 Ghz or even 2.4 Ghz WIFI clients and devices on the LAN and WAN. No errors in the logs.
The router is very stable for the moment.
a.png

Last edited:
Yesterday I noticed that some of my hosts were losing ipv6 addresses after a few minutes, at first i thought it was a host problem (I noticed it on Linux hosts running systemd-networkd, maybe others were also affected but I didn't investigate). I reconfigured ipv6 on the router (changed the WAN prefix length to 48 and then back to 64), ipv6 now seems stable. I assume that there must have been some configuration changes in FW 386.7 that caused the problem.

Hi, my AX88U has been working fine for over three days now.
I flashed the 386.7 version from the 386_5.2 then did a WPS reset + formatting of the JFFS partition + reboot (I insist on this point to avoid any problem) I then manually reconfigured all my settings (without importing a backup) and did a last reboot to apply.
No problem to report in IPV4 with 5 Ghz or even 2.4 Ghz WIFI clients and devices on the LAN and WAN. No errors in the logs. I use Cloudflare DNS.
The router is very stable for the moment.
View attachment 42227
I did all that except for the WPS reset, but still had problems with Wi-Fi dropouts and being unable to access the router's GUI via VPN, although I could still access the shares on my Synology NAS. So far, everything has returned to normal since downgrading the firmware, but I'm continuously monitoring both Wi-Fi bands to see what happens.

Since downgrading to 386.5_2 yesterday, I've not had any Wi-Fi dropouts on my RT-AX88U, but I'm continuing to monitor the situation. I'll carry on with this for a few days and if all is well, I'll try again to upgrade to the latest firmware. I'll try a dirty upgrade first to see if that works, but if not, I'll have to do a clean install. With respect to that, can anyone explain the difference between a factory reset from the GUI, a reset using the reset button and a WPS reset? I'm not sure of the WPS reset procedure, so if that is the option I should be using, then I'd appreciate some brief instructions on how to do it. If I do need to do a reset, will I also have to wipe my flash drive, which currently has amtm on it, running Skynet (no other scripts at present)?

I have had the same problem with my AX88U. Full factory reset followed by a clean install solved the problems. Dirty upgrade from beta2 to 386.7 did not work for me and caused wifi dropouts on many local devices

Last edited:
I usually flash the new merlin firmware and then do a WPS Reset + manual reconfiguration + reboot. It's longer but at least I'm giving myself the best chance every time.
That's why I haven't had any problem for more than 4 days now on my AX88U with the new 386.7 version (LAN/WAN/WIFI no problem)
Thanks again to the developers.
Sans titre 1.png

Was about to come and report similar issues on my RTAX86U on v386.7. I have 1 router + 1 hardwired node (ethernet backhaul), and the band most affected is 5 Ghz (although, I'm sure its also affecting 2.4). Anyone manage to fix it? I can't have too much downtown during normal business hours so want to make sure I get it correct the first time.

Thanks!

How did this turn into a VPN thread?? You mentioned some other thread in an earlier post, but provided no link. Perhaps this VPN issue should be discussed there. It's just going to get complicated to discuss both issues in the same thread UNLESS they are related somehow. I assume there's more background regarding the VPN issue on the other thread as well.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'll put this information into the other thread (trying to sort out these technology problems is sort of doing my head in today and I'm starting to lose concentration I think). So yes, as far as this thread is concerned, I'm running tests on the Wi-Fi as I wite and I'll try to monitor both networks to see what happens.

i have found that disabling Disable Asusnat tunnel and dhcpd: send empty WPAD with a carriage return has given me an solid connection both wireless and wired. Both settings can be found under Tools / Other settings all the way at the bottom. Hope this helps it did for me.
Sorry I really hate when double negatives are used for config settings & find them confusing. To clarify did you mean...
Disable Asusnat tunnel = No
dhcpd: send empty WPAD with a carriage return = No
? ?

386.5_2
I just so tired of losing 5GHz network on my Mac so often that I came here to create a thread for this.
TS was quicker.
So it seems that a full wipe and clean install might solve the issue. need to try

No issues with up time here.

1656454502602.png

Dirty upgrades are always a roll of the dice. If you don't like having to do a factory refresh each time, it's good policy to NOT chase upgrades, esp. if done for no specific, known purpose other than remaining current. Frankly, I'm amazed at the number of users who will do a dirty upgrade when it isn't actually necessary, sometimes even remotely!

Unless I'm addressing a specific, known issue w/ the upgrade, I only update every 8-12 months. And it's always a clean, factory fresh install w/ manual configuration. I avoid all kinds of hassle that way. Don't let yourself be sucked in by claims of others on the release thread about how their dirty upgrade worked. Many times you won't even notice an issue until much later, then in frustration, you end up doing a complete reset anyway!

Last edited:
i have found that disabling Disable Asusnat tunnel and dhcpd: send empty WPAD with a carriage return has given me an solid connection both wireless and wired. Both settings can be found under Tools / Other settings all the way at the bottom. Hope this helps it did for me.
I have no idea what those settings actually do, so could you provide further details please?

Still no problem to report since more than 5 days (reset + clean installation as I already said at the beginning of this thread)
I agree perfectly with the last message of eibgrad.
Sans titre 1.png

Dirty upgrades are always a roll of the dice. If you don't like having to do a factory refresh each time, it's good policy to NOT chase upgrades, esp. if done for no specific, known purpose other than remaining current. Frankly, I'm amazed at the number of users who will do a dirty upgrade when it isn't actually necessary, sometimes even remotely!

Unless I'm addressing a specific, known issue w/ the upgrade, I only update every 8-12 months. And it's always a clean, factory fresh install w/ manual configuration. I avoid all kinds of hassle that way. Don't let yourself be sucked in by claims of others on the release thread about how their dirty upgrade worked. Many times you won't even notice an issue until much later, then in frustration, you end up doing a complete reset anyway!
That sounds like good advice to me. I think I'll adopt the same procedure. I hope I'm not tempting fate, but so far, I haven't had any Wi-Fi dropouts since doing a complete manual reinstall. Perhaps doing two resets (using the button on the router) immediately after upgrading the firmware has helped to give me a more stable system. Only time will tell!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!