What's new

Internet connects to computer but not to router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

modernhistorian

New Around Here
Near my house is a 25-foot tower (that I and other residents built) that brings the Internet to our mountain community. A dedicated back-haul points to the ISP's data center in the town below, and the data is distributed via wireless APs on residents' homes. I have this connected to a Netgear router. With the ISP's permission, I laid fiber-optic line between my house and the tower, with fiber-Ethernet converters at each end, and the ISP plugged one end into their equipment. When a laptop is plugged into my end, the connection works and the speeds are fast. However, when I plug my cable into a router (tried Synology and Netgear) there is no connection. The chief tech from the ISP is at a loss as to why this should be. How would I begin to trouble-shoot this? Thanks for any help.

Near my house is a 25-foot tower (that I and other residents built) that brings the Internet to our mountain community. A dedicated back-haul points to the ISP's data center in the town below, and the data is distributed via wireless APs on residents' homes. I have this connected to a Netgear router. With the ISP's permission, I laid fiber-optic line between my house and the tower, with fiber-Ethernet converters at each end, and the ISP plugged one end into their equipment. When a laptop is plugged into my end, the connection works and the speeds are fast. However, when I plug my cable into a router (tried Synology and Netgear) there is no connection. The chief tech from the ISP is at a loss as to why this should be. How would I begin to trouble-shoot this? Thanks for any help.
hello,

is it possible when you get a a connection straight to your computer you are getting a lan ip like 10.0.0.2 and not a wan ip like 68.207.73.124. those are made up btw. i ask because it maybe that your plugging into the wan input on the router and it doesnt see the address as a gateway. also try plugging into the lan input to your router from the isp and see if that works. if it does your isp may have to release and renew your lease for a wan ip. also im guess you dont have a static ip that your off buy like one number when you input the info into your router. i have done that one.

The computer is assigned the IPV4 address 209.177.137.137 and the first listed DNS is 209.177.136.20. The router, via the AP, is assigned 209.177.136.252 and DNS is set by me to use 8.8.8.8. In both cases, these are static IPs.

I find it odd that the DNS is on a different subnet than the IPV4 address. How come the IP is xxx.xxx.137.xxx and the DNS is xxx.xxx.136.xxx?

I am assuming the laptop TCP/IP is configured to DHCP. How about the WAN side of the router? That should also be configured as DHCP, right?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!