What's new

Internet Status: Disconnected?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been repeating it for years: don't mess with your CFE. You are stepping into a minefield, and as another recent post showed, one little mistake will damage your router beyond repair.

An Asus firmware update removed channels 12 and 13 for me which made the router unusable in Australia even though the router was purchased in Australia.
Asus support suggested they were not going to correct the issue. So I altered the cfe instead of putting the router in the bin.

But this is all many years old debate about if a device sold in a country should be configured for use in that country.

All the other users with the same issue: have any of you also messed with your bootloader? Because based on the info I was able to gather so far, it's apparently not possible for that flag to be set unless someone messed with his bootloader, or flashed their own bootloader. So either you messed with your bootloader at some time, or you might possibly not be running a legitimate Asus router.

I was having this issue on an AC86U, but only whilst using DoT.
Internet Disconnected would randomly appear every so often and nothing would show in the logs, but this seems to stopped with build .14 since disabling "Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS, Enable DNS Rebind protection, Enable DNSSEC support". no Network Monitoring options are ticked are set on my admin/system page

It was also occurring every single time I enabled the VPN (within a few seconds), although the VPN still seemed to work, but no other devices could connect to anything aside from a device that was already streaming video.
I also found a fix somewhere on this forum, and by adding "dhcp-option dns 9.9.9.9" (same as my DoT settings), in the Custom Configuration at the bottom of the VPN settings.

All the other users with the same issue: have any of you also messed with your bootloader? Because based on the info I was able to gather so far, it's apparently not possible for that flag to be set unless someone messed with his bootloader, or flashed their own bootloader. So either you messed with your bootloader at some time, or you might possibly not be running a legitimate Asus router.
Hi..

I have personly not done anything with the bootloader. But I bought min Ac66 second hand. And only flashed original fw from asus or your dl-site.

I mentioned a problem like this a few wheeks ago.. Is this the same problem like in this thread?

If I'm right. Is a temorary sollution to just start wanduck in user script? I'll try that any way.

Thanks
Jonas

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Update: Adding wanduck & to wan-start seems to make internet look active.

An other question to all. You all with this problem, is the wan led on the front blinking both red and blue? As it does for me.
I'm on a remote location so I can't check my led.

A none legetimit router? What does it realy apply? A china copy or what?
I have registred it on asus website with no problem.

Last edited:
I bought my AC66U_B1 some months ago from a store and have not done anything with it.

A none legetimit router? What does it realy apply? A china copy or what?

Some people are using either modded T-M cellspots or non-Asus devices, neither of which are supported.

It returns "1".

So your router's bootloader is set in manufacturing mode. That's the source of your problem.

Is that store "reputable", i.e. was there any sign that the router might have been tampered with before you installed it? They could possibly have bought cheap Chinese SKUs, and modified the region code before reselling it.

An Asus firmware update removed channels 12 and 13 for me which made the router unusable in Australia even though the router was purchased in Australia.
Asus support suggested they were not going to correct the issue. So I altered the cfe instead of putting the router in the bin.

But this is all many years old debate about if a device sold in a country should be configured for use in that country.

My router was bought locally, only goes up as far as channel 11, works fine. o_O

So your router's bootloader is set in manufacturing mode. That's the source of your problem.

Is that store "reputable", i.e. was there any sign that the router might have been tampered with before you installed it? They could possibly have bought cheap Chinese SKUs, and modified the region code before reselling it.
It's a reputable chain store here in Sweden that I think never would tamper with their products in that way. All the documentation seems legitimate like EU declaration of conformity, quick start guide with region languages including Swedish.

So it seems there may be a chance that some routers shipped with manufacturing mode left enabled, despite what I was told about it. Really odd.

So, what's left to do:

If you have actually replaced your bootloader, then please flash back the original bootloader (you DID keep a backup, right?), as who knows what else this custom bootloader might be breaking (I know that WAN monitoring is NOT the only thing affected by it...).

If you have a non-Asus router that you hacked and are running an illegal firmware build on it, then go away. You're on your own.

If you bought it and it truly came that way, and you are sure it wasn't refurbished or sold on the grey market after being region-modded, then the best suggestion I can make is to flash back the stock firmware (must be 384_81351 or newer), confirm that the issue still exists with stock firmware AFTER a factory default reset (Internet showing as disconnected), then ask for an RMA on the grounds of that issue. Asus should replace it/fix it under warranty.

If it's out of warranty and/or you don't want to RMA, then I don't know what else to tell you. Yes, it's possible to fix it, but it requires a procedure that is not publicly available. Any post discussing that method will be deleted, because that information can a) be used to cause MORE issues if misused, and b) can be used to break local laws by also messing with the router region, and therefore falls under the forum-wide ban on discussing such procedures.

I will evaluate my own options. I can skip that mode check so at least WAN monitoring will work normally, however I cannot guarantee that you won't also suffer from OTHER issues. So, it would just be a band-aid at best, and anything else can potentially break in the future if Asus keeps adding more checks throughout the firmware code.

Mine returns 0. but the internet showing disconnected seems to be fixed for me by changing Network Monitoring and selecting DNS Query and Ping. I do have to be honest one of the aimesh nodes is a modified T-M cellspot. The main router and other node are stock bootloader RT-AC68U. Thanks TW

Mine returns 0. but the internet showing disconnected seems to be fixed for me by changing Network Monitoring and selecting DNS Query and Ping.

Different issues. The monitoring issues have been there for quite a while, while the bootloader issues are caused by a change in 3.0.0.4.384_81351 (which was integrated into 384.14).

Different issues. The monitoring issues have been there for quite a while, while the bootloader issues are caused by a change in 3.0.0.4.384_81351 (which was integrated into 384.14).
ok Thanks!

(I know that WAN monitoring is NOT the only thing affected by it...).

Im going to investigate my router further by opening it att compare circuit board if I find som original photos on internet.

Let's say my router is a gray market product is it possible there could be security at risk, If there is some modded bootloader put in to it?

Should I turn it off and recycle it asap?

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Im going to investigate my router further by opening it att compare circuit board if I find som original photos on internet.

Let's say my router is a gray market product is it possible there could be security at risk, If there is some modded bootloader put in to it?

Should I turn it off and recycle it asap?

By gray market I mean a reseller might buy it from a Chinese supplier at a lower price, change the region code in the bootloader, and resell it at full price within its region. It does require a fairly high technical understanding of the router's inner workings however, so personally I find it highly unlikely to be the case. A manufacturing error sound like a more plausible explanation to me.

You won't be able to determine that through physical inspection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!