What's new

iOS Wifi Speed Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wouldn't blame you guys if you never returned to this topic again, I do appreciate all your help. I would like to give one final test result.

Again using the same Speedtest app, At the same distance and the same server on the 5GHz band but this time using an Android Nexus 4 this is what I got.

Channel 40, Ping 28, Download 23.51, Upload 6.00

Pretty much on par with all my iOS devices.

I wouldn't blame you guys if you never returned to this topic again, I do appreciate all your help. I would like to give one final test result.

Again using the same Speedtest app, At the same distance and the same server on the 5GHz band but this time using an Android Nexus 4 this is what I got.

Channel 40, Ping 28, Download 23.51, Upload 6.00

Pretty much on par with all my iOS devices.

Hah, well I think that is a great test to do. In my unscientific opinion, you ruled a lot of things out and since you don't get the desktop to mobile disparity at your sister's. I would bet a buck that your ISP is doing something to juice desktop results slightly that doesn't affect mobile devices. Checking a friend that uses same ISP (ideally close to you geographically) to see if they have same disparity would help convince me 100%. If they don't, does it reappear if you connect your router & your devices there? Barring an easier way to check mobile device WLAN to LAN speeds consistently, I can't think of a better way to confirm.

No worries. What I think could be a more likely is perhaps they are throttling mobile devices. If you think about how almost everyone uses them these days as it is a much better way of quickly checking things. They did outright deny this when I asked them but there really is no way to prove otherwise.

Almost eveyone I know is either with BT or another company for the FTTC fibre. I have contacted someone else however who has Sky as their ISP and an N66U. They are hopefully going to check their iOS speed and let me know shortly. When they do I will post back just to let you guys know.

Craig

Hi again :) Nothing really groundbreaking to report but thought I would post this anyway.

Just over 1 week later unfortunately I have not heard back from the other person I contacted.

However my next door neighbor got their FTTC fibre installed, Again this time with the ISP BT (Same product as my sister) and to no surprise again my iPhone 5 completely maxed out their 40meg connection without an issue.

So im certain that the problem is with my ISP, Unfortunately there is nothing I can do as I am locked in with them for a further year after which I certainly will be moving.

Craig

Thanks for the update. Don't give up with your ISP, report it anyway, maybe if many people call enough they'll look into it.

However my next door neighbor got their FTTC fibre installed, Again this time with the ISP BT (Same product as my sister) and to no surprise again my iPhone 5 completely maxed out their 40meg connection without an issue.

So im certain that the problem is with my ISP,

Maybe some of what's reported here might be pertinent (re my theory on flash compression).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...e-unbundled-uk-network-boost-performance.html

There's got to be a forum out there for Sky users that you can compare notes with. I'd also shoot the developer of the Speedtest app an email, and perhaps they have forums as well.

I might have a look and see if I can find the contact details of someone more senior at Sky such as product development or even the CEO who could pass my details onto the relevant person.

@Craig, one last weird thing I just noticed...I have about 5 servers under the Ookla Speedtest.net umbrella of available servers all listed just by city name that I'm in (which is the same for all), but they are offered by different entities and at physically different locations.

Your PC is probably picking a server based just on the geolocation of its WAN side IP address, but at least my iOS device will use it's approximate real location to pick the server it tests off of. Long story short, it's not difficult to repeatedly and systematically get pointed at different Speedtest servers if you're using a mobile device and also a PC behind the same WAN connection. You can manually go in and adjust them, but even when I look at the list of servers in my city on iOS it groups them alphabetically and not by distance from me. So you have to identify the name of the entity you are testing with and make sure to use that server consistently.

This might not even be your issue, but at least it's an important variable to maintain relative accuracy of your tests.

Here is a screenshot of back to back tests on my iPhone, to two different Speedtest servers in my same city.

e2ahe9ej.jpg