What's new

iOS Wifi Speed Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow lots of more replys, Sorry for not getting back sooner,

@PrivateJoker, I did see your post yes, Thanks for that, It seems interesting.

@bluepoint, Yes I clear the Nvram after installing the updates and I manually reconfigure the router. This is actually the second N66U I have had. The first I returned as I wanted to try another brand but I quickly re-bought it :p

I will try each channel individually and post back the results, Would you like me to do the speed-tests via my PC or iPhone?

I agree with both of your statements PrivateJoker and bluepoint. 24-25Mbps on a mobile device is very good. I don't see why my full speed should not be achievable at least on 5GHz at close range. For me its also about getting to the root of the problem.

Craig

Edit: Sorry, I have taken a second look and I do have the "802.11d+h" option, I must have missed it when I looked yesterday, After enabling I was hopeful for a minute as I reached a record 26Mbps, It hovered there for a second before quickly dropping down to the average 24Mbps

Last edited:
@craig
If you're seeing your neighbor's 5 ghz ssid's showing up on inSSIDer, I assume you have some pretty close neighbors (or they have some awesome routers). My guess is you are getting some type of known or unknown interference.

Not much you can do except try to relocate your router or go through all the channels one by one.

You can also refer to your manual for recommended antenna orientation.

@jlake, Thanks for your post, Well from my main desktop PC at the back of my house I can only pick up on my router.

Standing beside the router with my iPhone, Again I can only pick up my router.

If I do an "Active" Site Survey on the router I can pick up on my neighbors 2.4GHz signal.

So no 5GHz signals are visible from my house. If I go outside there are tho as an ISP here in the UK called BT are giving out dual band routers as standard now.

iphone 5 i have seen 70mbps/98 down and 5/5 up, iphone 4 or 4s is garbage, maybe 4s is a bit better ps i have a toshiba pc running windows 7 showing negative rssi, so it cant just be an apple thing

Last edited:
I've been playing around a little more -- first off, my tests from last night, at a distance of 65' from my router (with only that one exterior wall between me and it) I was consistently pulling down 55Mb/s/10 when rear of phone was squarely aimed in a direct line, centered with antennas on router. Merely rotating the orientation of my phone in space 90deg CCW dropped that to 30-35/9-10, same 65' out, my feet had not moved but to turn to the left and orient the right side of my phone (instead of back) towards the router. This seems to show, at least in this one small experiment, that the tiny iPhone antenna is extremely sensitive to orientation.

This could also mean that it's extremely sensitive to different cases (I have a rubberized Belkin), and potentially things like building surfaces/walls that aren't necessarily in the "direct" path between you and your router yet surround you and/or your router. My one test where I stood with my back towards my router (ie signal would have to go through or around my body) timed out standing at 65' - it wouldn't even initiate the speed test, but when I rotated 180deg it gets 50+Mb/s downstream all day long. So, our bodies are probably not in such close proximity on anything, even laptops, as they are with mobile phones & tablets, and it looks like they are pretty strong signal attenuators.

I downloaded a $.99 app called "Speedy Test" from the app store and its $2 obligatory desktop app you need to bounce back and forth off of. I strongly would not recommend anyone buy this program, it doesn't tell you the file size its sending, how its sending it, no RSSI value shown, you have to go and re-check your settings to confirm what actual SSID you were connected to, etc. But using a MacBook Pro plugged into my router via ethernet as the "destination", I tried all sorts of different distance and orientations to my N66 and usually got between 20-35Mb/s on 2.4ghz (but consistent over a longer distance) and 30-60Mb/s on 5ghz, with ping times between 1-3sec on 5ghz and 2-14sec on 2.4ghz. There was definitely a sweet spot several feet out from the router, at less than a meter or two it seems like the iOS device was getting blown out.

I also measured another AP (airport express) I have on the other side of house and got similar #s on both 2.4 & 5ghz. It was actually much more irregular in its result (comparing to Speedtest native app) you had to be completely stationary and held the phone in exactly the same orientation to the router to get consistent repeated test results.

I've posted spreadsheets on here before of my test results with different N66 f/ws then actually doing WLAN speed tests on my laptop, and have to say that using iOS WAN Speedtest app and "Speedy Test" WLAN/LAN speed checker that the wifi on the iPhone is far and away the most erratic and peculiar of any that I've tried to measure, but at the end of the day, with an antenna the size of maybe 60% full size stick of trident gum, it gets consistently 20+ Mb/s on either band which is enough to download songs quickly and stream at very good resolutions from Netflix, Amazon Instant, etc., and I personally use the Downcast podcast player and download almost nothing to the device (ie stream them all) several hours a day around home office with zero audio streaming dropouts. I've also used the "personal hotspot" mode on my iPhone 5 where it will share its LTE signal with my Mac over wifi and I can get really good performance doing it.

This is a really weird thing to try to measure in clean, repeatable, fair ways, so I'm just going to be happy with its good enough-ness as is, and switch to 5ghz if I need more bandwidth and can get a good enough signal from router since it does seem to be able to go significantly faster over 5ghz.

To show the iOS wifi as more of a provider than a user, here's the result from personal hotspot mode, running my Mac through my phone, 1 meter away, and my phone picked possibly the worst 2.4ghz channel, 1, (my N66U is on ch1, 15 feet away) to provide the "hotspot" with an LTE signal of -103 RSSI & 10Mhz bandwidth, RSRQ 140.5dB, RSRP 181.00 dBm.

Last edited:
I will try each channel individually and post back the results, Would you like me to do the speed-tests via my PC or iPhone?
Test it with the iPhone but make sure you use the same speedtest server that you used with the desktops.

@PrivateJoker, Thanks for going to all that trouble and for posting the results, Doing a quick similar test this morning in my house I cant say I noticed the same drop. Perhaps as you are on a higher speed it is more noticable?

@bluepoint, Ok I will be sure to do that and post my results later on today after trying it.

Craig

Ok, So here is the results on my speed-tests on each available channel.

When preforming these tests I used my iPhone 5 with the Ookla Speedtest app and I left it in the same position each time, flat on the table about 160cm from the router and always using the same server.

5GHz
Channel 36, Ping 28, Download 20.95, Upload 5.21
Channel 40, Ping 28, Download 22.12, Upload 5.17
Channel 44, Ping 28, Download 21.41, Upload 5.29
Channel 48, Ping 28, Download 21.62, Upload 5.21

2.4GHz
Channel 1, Ping 28, Download 20.67, Upload 5.18
Channel 2, Ping 28, Download 21.92, Upload 5.31
Channel 3, Ping 28, Download 21.03, Upload 5.28
Channel 4, Ping 28, Download 21.19, Upload 5.11
Channel 5, Ping 28, Download 21.13, Upload 5.20
Channel 6, Ping 27, Download 21.94, Upload 5.25
Channel 7, Ping 30, Download 21.82, Upload 5.22
Channel 8, Ping 28, Download 21.58, Upload 5.38
Channel 9, Ping 28, Download 21.48, Upload 5.32
Channel 10, Ping 28, Download 22.12, Upload 5.20
Channel 11, Ping 29, Download 21.43, Upload 5.11
Channel 12, Ping 28, Download 21.38, Upload 5.25
Channel 13, Ping 28, Download 21.95, Upload 5.29

@Craig, are you forced to use those lower 5ghz channels based on geographic regulations? In the US we can use them but they are lower power limits and some other funky stuff due to radar interference.

I just tested my Airport Express via my iPhone 5, 2m away, using channel 36 & 149 and you can see the Speedtest result is very different on my 50/10 advertised WAN speed.

Also, it's quite possible that your PCs might be getting a small boost (by ISP design) that your iPhone cannot get. My ISP (Comcast) did that for a few years but is now unwinding it. It affected only performance tests done on a PC that used Flash. As far as I can tell it's only purpose was to distort WAN speed measuring, because it only worked for a few seconds in a burst.

Last edited:
Some questions for @Craig.

a. What channel bandwidth is used on each bands(2.4/5GHz)?
b. The server that you used to test the iPhone is the same server used when desktops/laptops were tested? http://www.speedtest.net/ This URL is what I assumed you used to test the desktops/laptops, correct?

Last edited:
@PrivateJoker, I believe so, They are certainly the only ones available to select. That is a very big difference in your results. I don't believe I have the option to change mine to anything higher.

@bluepoint, On 2.4GHz I have the channel bandwidth set to 20MHz, On 5GHz I have it set to 40MHz and yes I used the same server that I selected when doing the tests via my desktop. Yes that is the website I use when on my PC

Thanks
Craig

Some questions for @Craig.

a. What channel bandwidth is used on each bands(2.4/5GHz)?
b. The server that you used to test the iPhone is the same server used when desktops/laptops were tested? http://www.speedtest.net/ This URL is what I assumed you used to test the desktops/laptops, correct?

a. iPhone5 wifi chip is single stream, single shared antenna for both bands. (2.4ghz 802.11n 75Mb/s class and 5ghz 150MB/s class).

@PrivateJoker, I believe so, They are certainly the only ones available to select. That is a very big difference in your results. I don't believe I have the option to change mine to anything higher.

Check at a friend's house that has the same ISP as you and also a router w/ 5ghz wifi, I bet you get the same results on your iOS device.

Your wireless router is acting like it's stuck in "G" mode as far as the iPhone 5 is concern. Do you have PPPOE connection? MTU might be a factor that's what comes to mind other than that I really don't know more to help.

Check at a friend's house that has the same ISP as you and also a router w/ 5ghz wifi, I bet you get the same results on your iOS device.

My sister is with an ISP called BT, Their package is the same 40Mbps down, 10Mbps up. In actual fact my ISP Sky sublease the equipment from BT but use their own back-haul. In her house with the standard issue router I can easily max out the 40Mbps speed on the 5GHz connection.

Your wireless router is acting like it's stuck in "G" mode as far as the iPhone 5 is concern. Do you have PPPOE connection? MTU might be a factor that's what comes to mind other than that I really don't know more to help.

My ISP uses a connection called MER (MAC Encapsulated Routing). To be perfectly honest I dont really know what this means.

a. iPhone5 wifi chip is single stream, single shared antenna for both bands. (2.4ghz 802.11n 75Mb/s class and 5ghz 150MB/s class).
I'm aware of that, the reason I ask, the 5GHz's tests results Craig posted has similar values almost with the 2.4GHz that's why we know something is amiss since the 5GHz band is much quieter and @40 width, I expected he'll hit the max of his advertised speed subscription.

a. iPhone 5 Single Stream wireless @20MHz bandwidth will connect @72Mbps
b. iPhone 5 Single Stream wireless @40MHz bandwidth will connect @150Mbps

5ghz G mode?

@bluepoint try on your own router & ios device using 5ghz w/ a double digit channel & a triple digit channel, all other settings the same. Would be curious what you get.

Also you would know if you had a severely fragmented flow of packets, things like streaming video & audio would be terrible, I personally would not adjust MTU based solely on iOS device getting 20-30% less downstream from a specific testing server, than advertised, when connected over 5ghz wifi.

@Craig - have you done a General > settings > network reset yet? Someone mentioned this in another forum and it reminded me that this would be a very simple step you could do (I think it wipes out your wifi network p/ws, at the most, but backup your iPhone to iTunes beforehand just in case) and this has cured very weird maladies for myself and others.

Last edited:
My sister is with an ISP called BT, Their package is the same 40Mbps down, 10Mbps up. In actual fact my ISP Sky sublease the equipment from BT but use their own back-haul. In her house with the standard issue router I can easily max out the 40Mbps speed on the 5GHz connection.
There goes the answer to your iPhone mystery. Your iPhone is somewhat limited because of hardware incompatibility. Report it to your ISP, tell them exactly your iPhone's speed works properly with BT and not with your service. Hopefully, they get serious with the problem and find the solution.

There goes the answer to your iPhone mystery. Your iPhone is somewhat limited because of hardware incompatibility. Report it to your ISP, tell them exactly your iPhone's speed works properly with BT and not with your service. Hopefully, they get serious with the problem and find the solution.

I would also be ready to provide them with some real life examples like "at my house when streaming Netflix and watching X movie my router shows X rate of bandwidth consumption by my device and the picture looks like blah blah blah, but at my sister's house it shows X rate of consumption and my picture looks yadda yadda yadda."

Like I said, I'd still check others with same ISP as yourself, the difference between Sky & BT could be something funky, even if they do share some parts of the same distribution infrastructure.

Curious as to what you get, if any difference, after doing the network settings reset, and also if you've tried other 802.11n dual band iOS hardware (sorry I can't remember if you mentioned this before).

I wish it was that simple :(

I replaced the stock router my ISP gave as it was awful. By right believe it or not it is against their T&C to replace their router. They wont cancel your account but they wont help. It is a fiber service but they also only consider it to be a problem when your speed is below 15Mbps :cool:

It does not really paint a good picture of my ISP does it :p

I would also be ready to provide them with some real life examples like "at my house when streaming Netflix and watching X movie my router shows X rate of bandwidth consumption by my device and the picture looks like blah blah blah, but at my sister's house it shows X rate of consumption and my picture looks yadda yadda yadda."

Like I said, I'd still check others with same ISP as yourself, the difference between Sky & BT could be something funky, even if they do share some parts of the same distribution infrastructure.

Curious as to what you get, if any difference, after doing the network settings reset, and also if you've tried other 802.11n dual band iOS hardware (sorry I can't remember if you mentioned this before).

I don't blame you, This has been a long thread with lots of information. But yes I have tried an iPad Mini and an iPad 2 with the same results

Last edited:
5ghz G mode?

What I said.
"Your wireless router is acting like it's stuck in "G" mode as far as the iPhone 5 is concern.";)

@bluepoint try on your own router & ios device using 5ghz w/ a double digit channel & a triple digit channel, all other settings the same. Would be curious what you get.
Any channel I use whether the lower or upper channels gives me the same results. The speed tests are equal to the wired ones, this indicates my wireless connections can go more. I have FIOS 50/25 service and the wireless tests gets me to 59/35-39Mbps.:)