What's new

IP address routing questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlwhite_1

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

Wow, what a great forum. Glad that I found it. I have a questions regarding routing of IP addresses.

I am using a Linksys E1000 router with gateway address lf 192.168.1.1. My questions is this: Do all of the devices connected to this router have to use an IP address of 192.168.1.XXX in order to route out to the WAN? If a device connected to this router has an address of say 192.168.3.xxx will it be able to access the WAN? If not then will adding a static route in the router take care of this or will the address need to change to an address in the range of 192.168.1.xxx.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

A device with an IP of 192.168.3.x can use a gateway of 192.168.1.x provided the subnet is wide enough to accommodate both the gateway and client IP. If they are in separate subnets (default config), then no. Static routing will not work since it requires a gateway (which must be in the client's subnet) to do the routing.

Example config:

Network 192.168.0.0
Subnet 255.255.252.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1 (what you requested)
Available Client IPs: 192.168.0.1-192.168.3.254, with 192.168.1.1 excepted.