What's new

IP isn't changing when connected to the VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jetpackjack

New Around Here
Hi All, I have an OpenVPN profile that I've created on my asus rt-ac86u. If I connect to the VPN and then view my IP Address it's still showing the external IP of the network the device is on and not the VPN's IP. I've been told I need to check the VPN settings and there should be a tick-box to configure it to act as the default gateway, usually says something like "Use this connection only for resources on its network" which you would want to be off. However, I'm unable to find this in either OpenVPN or the asus rt-ac86u's advanced settings under the OpenVPN section.

Any ideas how I can ensure any device using the VPN is using the right IP Address of the VPN?

What device are you using to connect back to your network? What browser are you using?

What VPN are you using (or is it just the OpenVPN connection back to your network)?

What are you expecting the 'VPN's IP' to be?

Have you enabled the 'Advertise DNS to Clients' checkbox in the OpenVPN advanced Server settings?

Did you correctly select 'Both' or at least 'Internet only' in the 'Client will use VPN to access' setting?

Can you provide screenshots of your setup to make this verification easier?

VPN Server > General settings: Client will use VPN to access = "Both" (Merlin's firmware) or "Internet and local network" (stock firmware).

Last edited:

L&LD,​

ColinTaylor

Thanks for both responding, it was the 'Client will use VPN to access' and needed to be set to 'Internet and local network'

Appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!