What's new

IPpv6 with Comcast Business Modems - Ugly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mstrom62

Occasional Visitor
I wanted to write a short piece that may, hopefully save others a wasted day. I use Comcast business internet service, and I have Comcast's SMCD3G-CCR Modem. I use static IP's for my IPv4 implementation, so my choice is limited on what to use form Comcast. Bottom line, IPv6 DHCP-PD does not work on the SMC Modem, From Comcast's forums I understand that the Cisco units also have a failed implementation of DHCP-PD.

That leaves the Netgear CG3000DCR as the only choice that will hand out and route properly a block when it receives a PD request.

So if you are in the same category as me, don't spin your wheels trying to figure out why Merlin's ASUS doesn't work, not a problem in the ASUS. Comcast will be swapping out my Modem on Tuesday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Never been a fan of gateway devices.

Always prefer to go with separate modem and router.

Are you in an area you can not use your own modem/router?

I wanted to write a short piece that may, hopefully save others a wasted day. I use Comcast business internet service, and I have Comcast's SMCD3G-CCR Modem. I use static IP's for my IPv4 implementation, so my choice is limited on what to use form Comcast. Bottom line, IPv6 DHCP-PD does not work on the SMC Modem, From Comcast's forums I understand that the Cisco units also have a failed implementation of DHCP-PD.

That leaves the Netgear CG3000DCR as the only choice that will hand out and route properly a block when it receives a PD request.

So if you are in the same category as me, don't spin your wheels trying to figure out why Merlin's ASUS doesn't work, not a problem in the ASUS. Comcast will be swapping out my Modem on Tuesday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Bridge your modem and let ASUS do the routing. When your modem is in bridge mode, it doesn't do anything else than pass the signal to router, and then it's up to router is IPv6 working or not. I know, because my modem doesn't support IPv6 (TP-Link TD-8810), but IPv6 working fine with RT-N66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!