What's new

ipv6 configuration; stateless or statefull

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edwin0001

New Around Here
Hi,

On my Asus rog rapture gt-ax11000 with the latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin. My router is in bridge-mode. What is the best way to setup ipv6 I was wondering. At this moment the setup is 'stateless' and I can't seem to figure out if by any chance 'statefull' would be better. So far I haven't found any good advice on this topic besides that 'statefull' is like an dchp server, but what are benefits over 'stateless', or should I better leave things to 'stateless'. Can anyone shine a light on this and give me some advice in this matter? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums @edwin0001.

Is your router or your modem in bridge mode?

Normally, the ISP determines the IPv6 state.

Then you can't change WAN parameters.

I can change it I think...I've got the option to choose for stateless or statefull. When I opt for statefull an IP range is defined. But therefore my question...what to do?

Is your router or your modem in bridge mode?

Normally, the ISP determines the IPv6 state.
Obviously I can't comment on any other people's ISP & their operational / process setups, only my own, but FWIW I could alter those IPv6 parameters on my ISP supplied, FTTH router, when I used only that router and... once I changed that to using that specific router only in bridge-mode, I can still change those same IPv6 parameters on my Asus router now, without any problem. I chose stateless, after experimenting with both IPv6 parameters, on both routers & I have left it set at stateless on my Asus router ever since. There are many online now, but this article is a simple enough explanation and might help you to decide which @edwin0001

Obviously I can't comment on any other people's ISP & their operational / process setups, only my own, but FWIW I could alter those IPv6 parameters on my ISP supplied, FTTH router, when I used only that router and... once I changed that to using that specific router only in bridge-mode, I can still change those same IPv6 parameters on my Asus router now, without any problem. I chose stateless, after experimenting with both IPv6 parameters, on both routers & I have left it set at stateless on my Asus router ever since. There are many online now, but this article is a simple enough explanation and might help you to decide which @edwin0001
That article is awesome, wonderful. Now if Netflix could only figure out IPv6...

Also, OP, go get your IPv6 "certification" at https://ipv6.he.net/certification/ and (if the stories of all the servers in that article got your juices flowing) use your account to make DDNS a breeze, maintain/edit your DNS A/AAAA records by claiming your free /48...and maybe become a guru. That should help you have the proverbial penny drop.

And there are some neato resources at

ip.bieringer.net​

Thank you so much for your reply. That the kind of information I was looking for, great! I am going to absorp it and see if I can make up my mind.

That article is awesome, wonderful. Now if Netflix could only figure out IPv6...

Also, OP, go get your IPv6 "certification" at https://ipv6.he.net/certification/ and (if the stories of all the servers in that article got your juices flowing) use your account to make DDNS a breeze, maintain/edit your DNS A/AAAA records by claiming your free /48...and maybe become a guru. That should help you have the proverbial penny drop.

And there are some neato resources at

ip.bieringer.net​

Thanks! Who knows I might be the new ipv6 guru...for now thanks for all the additional information. Lots to read and think about. :)

HE mails you a Guru t-shirt if you make it that far, supposedly. for me, the first 2-3 levels were fine to accomplish what I needed, and I zipped through them in a couple of hours