What's new

Ipv6 Firewall Settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raion969

Hello

I have activated ipv6 because my isp switched it.

My question is when i do an ipv6 test, i have to configure the firewall right.
This says it after the connection test for ipv6:

Your router or firewall is filtering ICMPv6 messages sent to your computer. An IPv6 host that cannot receive ICMP messages may encounter problems like some web pages loading partially or not at all.

How can i reapair it ?

I suspect this is a false message, probably caused by the firewall on your PC. Unless you are actually experiencing a problem I would just ignore it.

I have ad the firewall rule but still the same error. Do i have to set anything specific in the router ??

The site your testing that on is broke when it comes to ICMPv6 filtering. Asus routers do not block this stock or Merlin. Windows 10 firewall will though. I also have a win 10 firewall rule and it constantly shows on that site that it was skipped giving me a 17-20 pass.

do you think it is broken because a friend of mine tested it and he got 20/20 i think it works

I have done this but still the same error

Shouldn't be anything special to set on the router to get a pass on the ICMP check, but you do have to specifically set this for Windows firewall.

As stated this testing site use to show correctly. I have the Windows rule in place. That said the test site at least for me now skips the filtering test and reports a fail 17/20. Try it yourself and see what you get and post back. And just a FYI all Netgear routers continue to block ICMPv6 pings at the router level with no way to change it. Asus fixed this issue years ago. I believe Merlin may have helped with the switch in rules for Asus. Merlin was also very helpful with the Comcast Neighbor table overflow issues some years back. and getting Asus to use a dedicated IPv6 firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:
That site only tests for remote PING! Ping is no more important to ipv6 as it is for ipv4, so the result should be ignored, getting 17/20 is perfect (reverse dns lookup is also stupid to test, since Windows uses the TEMPORARY ipv6 adress to connect to internet).

If you want 19/20 (for testing) you can go into Windows Firewall, advanced, find an incoming rule that says something like 'Core network diagnostic ECHO request ICMPv6-in', double click and change the 'Area' tab to include all internet. Then you should get 19/20. Turn it off again after testing.

The rule has already been set with Windows. Asus routers with stock or Merlin code do NOT filter these pings by default. But the test still fails not a issue because the test is the fault.

This site does not test ICMP. With the 386.x firmware ICMP does not work.
No ping response in IPV6 even with deactivated firewall.

I had problems with the latest updates 386.1 and 386.2 betas and IPv6.
after the dirty update, IPv6 is dead. I fixed restoring old settings I save before updating.
Both occasions.
I checked the IPv6 settings and are OK, but still not working.
restore the settings and voila working again.
AC68 like Colin overclocked to 1200/800.
Any ideas?