What's new

ipv6 on wan interface?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icsy7687

Occasional Visitor
I have been a bit annoyed because my ISP is using a CGN (Carrier Grade Nat) and my router is getting a 100.64.x.x ip address which does not have public internet access.

I emailed customer support, and they told me that they issue IPv6 public IP addresses. So I logged into my router, went into the ipv6 section and enabled this to "native". I couldn't tell if this was for LAN or for the WAN. After enabling it, it does appear that my WAN is getting an IPv6 address now (Although it is still showing the IPv4 NAT address in the router). I simply ran "ip addr" in the router, found the 100.64 nat, and now I see a "Gloabl Dynamic" ipv6 address.

This should be what I am after, but I am having trouble getting that IP address to load anything. For example, I have an internal FreeBSD server that is hosting Owncloud on an IPv4 address and forwarding port 443 in my router. Should I need to do anything special so that when I load https://[IPv6_Address] this works? Not sure if I am missing something or not. I am quite new to IPv6 and I apologize if I am being an idiot, but I would very much like to get my public IP address! Thanks again!

Okay I think I am overthinking this.

I was thinking I had to use ip6tables and handle the routing, but ISPs seem to issue out IPv6 addresses left and right, so each nic will get a publically available ipv6 address, and you simply have to allow the port on the ipv6 firewall.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!